Mean apprentice, anyone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
There are quite a few 'classics' on the Internet with regards to poor choice of domain names.

Here is one I spotted today (they sent me a marketing email):

www.getmeanapprentice.com

It's about time more company's took on apprentices, as there will soon be a shortage of tradesmen

I've had about 5 now and sacked all of them. All totally useless.

Sadly there are the unemployed many of whom genuinely seek work and are hard working and reliable. Then there are the unemployable................

I often wonder what proportion of the considerable SKILLS FUNDING AGENCY budget these "facilitator" agencies manage to get their hands on. There seem to be quite a few? :rolleyes: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...Organisations_January_2014_140032.csv/preview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16616570

e.g.

A recent investigation by the BBC's 5 live Investigates programme provided yet more criticism, revealing how one scheme which promised to train teenagers as football coaches swallowed £6 million of taxpayers' money and left thousands of those taking part without a qualification.
Luis Michael Training (LMT) was run by ex-professional footballers Mark Aizlewood and Paul Sugrue, but had its contract with further education colleges terminated due to what the colleges termed "irregularities."
The BBC heard from young people who were enrolled but who did not know they were taking part in an apprenticeship scheme, and others who were not paid despite being entitled to a weekly wage.

Last edited:
There are quite a few 'classics' on the Internet with regards to poor choice of domain names.

Here is one I spotted today (they sent me a marketing email):

www.getmeanapprentice.com

I read it as 'get mean apprentice' first off.

Reminds me of an upcoming album release for that Susan Boyle character:

#susanalbumparty

susan-album-party / sus-****-bum-party

...depending on your take.

I have one question for a potential apprentice candidate,what's 17 quarters?
Been working alone for 30 years.

Unfortunately the last 2 apprentices couldn't get their heads around the no mobile phone policy in the workshop.

Both gone within 2 weeks unable to keep their hands off their phones for more than an hour at best, both left complaining about their rights being abused.

We haven't had a great deal of success with apprentices.

One excellent one out of half a dozen and she moved up the ladder pretty quick.

Phone seems to be an issue with a lot of young people. Who do they need to speak to that desperately? Of course it is not desperate but I guess using the phone is more interesting than work to them.

As always, it is the idiots that ruin it for all.

My son works at least 6 days a week, took no holiday last year or the year before and works in a job he hates because there's no box for work ethic on a CV…….he has some useful qualifications but always loses out because he has no experience in what would be his chosen field IF he could get work in that field. Catch 22.

I really feel for him.

You have to be really really patient with them. They will make mistakes but that's all in the learning curve. I totally agree some do not have the ability or personality to progress. 50% chance of getting a good one - at best!

I scheduled 12 interviews during the first week of march for a warehouse job. Only 4 actually bothered to turn up, no calls, e-mails or texts from the other 8...what does that say?

balge said:
I always thought you were supposed to train apprentices until they became useful...

I did. One of them lasted a year. He was caught ragging the nuts of my range rover.

You can't polish a turd.

I scheduled 12 interviews during the first week of march for a warehouse job. Only 4 actually bothered to turn up, no calls, e-mails or texts from the other 8...what does that say?

Possibly says that to receive benefit they have to be "seen" actively applying for jobs whether its the type of job they want or not? :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom