Measuring the width of an alloy wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jason1145

Car
Merc B Class W245
Hello all

So I found out the correct way to measure a wheels width is to measure form the bead seat to the opposite bead seat (Shown in Photo 2)

Question is.... on this alloy shown below that is 7.5'' wide... the inside measurement is 7.5'' but the outer edge to outer edge is 8.5''... is this normal or does it seem too thick in the outer lip area to account for a whole extra inch?

A0vvez1.jpg

jzHyqER.jpg

huSN0fy.jpg

I always wonder why the diameter is not as you'd imagine either. The 18" alloys on our car actually measure 19.5" at the widest point why is this?

Ant.

I always wonder why the diameter is not as you'd imagine either. The 18" alloys on our car actually measure 19.5" at the widest point why is this?

Ant.

...because it's the tyre's inner diameter that is being measured.

In answer to the OP - that looks perfectly normal.

Whose wheels are they?

Well that's reassuring to know.... the wheels are some new ones I've picked up but won't be fitting them for a couple months atleast, not until the wife learns to park against kerbs a bit better.
7.5x18j, et45, 5x112, CB 66.6
lbEMNNi.jpg

LZlTCAO.jpg

So this is my hub.... the wheel I had to buy needs to have a Centre Bore Hole of 66.6, does the wheel then sit on that little rim in the centre then... called Hubcentric fitment?
rdfCvVZ.png

Yes, and you had better throw your dog poo bag in the proper bin as well :D

Thanks Renault, Box Lol that's my nuts in there.... erm!
I never knew about different nuts... ball seat vs tapered.... not to mention ginger ones fnaarrrrr.

Looks like I'm all set, ta chaps.

They do look great Jason.

Post a few pics when they're bolted on.

Ant

Wifey talked about buying a lil car for herself but I can't quite justify that just yet lol.
I forgot to measure the top to bottom to see if they are more than 18" Ant, in storage now lol will revisit in a couple months. :)

Some sort of rubber would advantageous before fitting to car !

Nah, improves the 'direct' feel of the steering.....and the shower of sparks looks pretty :D

Now that's plain silly!:bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom