Meat and milk from cloned animals

Anyone concerned about cloned meat or milk in the foodchain?

• Doesn't bother me in the least

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Might need to research it a bit before deciding

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole

Votes: 8 17.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Moo.

Seriously not worried one little bit. Is the art of animal husbandry not to repeat the best specimen example of breed time and time again. God knows what the AI man has been shoving into cows for years.

Its a load of old bulls really.

They are just stirk-ing up trouble!

Cloning can only be an improvement surely? :D

cow-fail.jpg

most grain (all your bread, pasta, breakfast cereals, etc) is cloned and has been for years, if you shop at a big supermarket you can guarantee it.

cloning is dangerous because it is a monoculture, ask the irish about the spud famine.

what you SHOULD be worried about is chemicals and drugs used in food production, processing, packaging, and also from the environment... things like hormones don't get filtered, so women take the pill, take a piss, and (this is fact) it builds up in sea fish to such an extent that the fish start changing sex, and then those fish are caught and cooked and fed to humans...

Just look at any group photo taken between say 1950 and 1970, try and spot the obese bodies, you won't find any.

Last edited:
cloning = duplicating something (natural) that already exists.
If one type of clone became predominant, this would reduce diversity in the gene "pool" and then some disease (say) kills all the clones because they aren't immune to it. Lack of diversity is an elevated risk to the population of cows but not to us as they are clones of a natural cow. Genetically modified animals are the ones to worry about as they are not natural. And as the above post says, the chemicals are to be feared more than anything else.

One good example of cloned every day food.

Bananas.

Every single banana we eat is a clone, they are all Cavendish variety, and there are already signs that this monoculture will lead to them being destroyed as a crop within 20 years, thanks to the fact that any parasite or disease will have universal efficacy.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0726_wirebanana.html

more meat for everyone!! clone away.

plus if they screw up, it means one chicken will provide enough legs for eight people!

One good example of cloned every day food.

Bananas.

Every single banana we eat is a clone, they are all Cavendish variety, and there are already signs that this monoculture will lead to them being destroyed as a crop within 20 years, thanks to the fact that any parasite or disease will have universal efficacy.

Lack of Sex Life Threatens Banana Crops

Did you actually read the article properly?

Yes, 90% of the dessert bananas produced are Cavendish. Dessert bananas constitute 15% of the bananas consumed, therefore 86.3% of bananas are not Cavendish.

By the strict definition of cloning as asexual reporoduction then yes, bananas are clones. There was a genetic mutation that turned the had black seeds into mush, but made it more edible. This meant plants had to be propogated via cuttings, budding, etc - in exactly the same way that many horticultural strains are produced and maintained today. For example, I've quadrupled the number of strawberry plants in my garden this year by propogating the suckers - which is exactly what banana farmers do.

All varieties of banana are suceptible to the fungus mentioned in the article, not just Cavendish. This is why the work into understanding the genome is important. The bit that was not reported is also the work going into understanding the genome of the fungus, so that this can be attacked too.

Most people who propogate plants, etc, would not consider this to be "cloning" in the same sense as animal cloning. Asexual reproduction is not only common in the natural world, but is also genetically stable. Much of the fruit we eat today is produced through propogation, or asexual reproduction.

When it comes to higher-order animals, asexual reproduction is very uncommon. What is done in the lab to clone a sheep, cow, pig or whatever is not an extension of a naturally-occuring process. It produces genetically unstable offspring.

Perhaps there is something instinctive in the way we feel about animal cloning - my grandfather would never counternance animal cloning and would say so while grafting apple trees.

BTW, I'm no banana fetishist - my caribbean in-laws are banana and sugar cane growers and are much better placed to comment than any of us are (good job they are visiting :) _

Did you actually read the article properly?

Yes, 90% of the dessert bananas produced are Cavendish. Dessert bananas constitute 15% of the bananas consumed, therefore 86.3% of bananas are not Cavendish.

By the strict definition of cloning as asexual reporoduction then yes, bananas are clones. There was a genetic mutation that turned the had black seeds into mush, but made it more edible. This meant plants had to be propogated via cuttings, budding, etc - in exactly the same way that many horticultural strains are produced and maintained today. For example, I've quadrupled the number of strawberry plants in my garden this year by propogating the suckers - which is exactly what banana farmers do.

All varieties of banana are suceptible to the fungus mentioned in the article, not just Cavendish. This is why the work into understanding the genome is important. The bit that was not reported is also the work going into understanding the genome of the fungus, so that this can be attacked too.

Most people who propogate plants, etc, would not consider this to be "cloning" in the same sense as animal cloning. Asexual reproduction is not only common in the natural world, but is also genetically stable. Much of the fruit we eat today is produced through propogation, or asexual reproduction.

When it comes to higher-order animals, asexual reproduction is very uncommon. What is done in the lab to clone a sheep, cow, pig or whatever is not an extension of a naturally-occuring process. It produces genetically unstable offspring.

Perhaps there is something instinctive in the way we feel about animal cloning - my grandfather would never counternance animal cloning and would say so while grafting apple trees.

BTW, I'm no banana fetishist - my caribbean in-laws are banana and sugar cane growers and are much better placed to comment than any of us are (good job they are visiting :) _

That like marrying your cousin repeatedly through the generations leading to less resistance to diseases, that why the Roman law does not allowed it.:eek:

It seems ok to cross bread to produce a cow that produces more milk or a more beef but some seem to get upset when we take a short cut. Interestingly, the produce comsumed was from an offsprong of the cloned beast, they have not said if the offspring was the result of two cloned anilmal or one cloned and one natural. Personally if it produces good steaks then thats ok with me.:D:D

Didn't we eat BSE infected meat for years because our cattle were being fed other animal remains....:crazy: that was worrying!

That like marrying your cousin repeatedly through the generations leading to less resistance to diseases, that why the Roman law does not allowed it.:eek:

It is in the animal world, due to genetic instability. Not so in the plant world, where a more stable genome doesn't tend to produce the mutations in quite the same quantity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom