Mechanic topped up screenwash with straight water?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
So my car went in to an indie for some work today, when it went in it had the ‘top up washer fluid’ light on. When I got it back they’d obviously (trying to be helpful) topped it up for me, however they seem to have used straight water?

I would like to get this out of the system and refill with screenwash at the correct ratio as I’m concerned about it freezing etc....I’ll be collecting the usual MB winter fit tomorrow but in the meantime I’m concerned the water in the tank may freeze overnight... will I do any damage to the pump by just holding the screen-wash button down so it sprays out until the tank empties? I assume it’ll take a while to empty the supply.

I wouldn't worry. How many times do we fill screenwash up in a car's life? A lot. One more won't hurt.

Depending on how much antifreezing benefit your screenwash has, you might want to give it a blast for 30 seconds, then top up. Unless the screenwash in a bottle you have bought is already a diluted cats p155 of a screenwash, I'm not expecting any temps below -5 In the next week or 2, and therefore most dilute as needed screenwashes would provide enough protection. We're both East Mids.

I have a rubbish '-15C' screenwash that is still -7C at 25% ratio.

If it gets below -3 here for the next 6 months I'd be gob smacked

Dinny worry Abs. You’ll soon expel it during driving over the next few weeks. And hardly sub zero temps on the way.

as Kenny says, just top up with screen wash as you run it down. 👍

Cheers guys, I was probably just over thinking it as always 🤣

Will give it a few long squirts on my way to MB tomorrow to pick up some concentrate.

MB??? You’ve changed dude! What’s wrong with Halfords??? 🤔

😁
Nothing ;) The MB stuff comes with a fancy invoice :D Jokes aside, I found the MB stuff to work better than the pre-mix stuff I got from Halfords last time.

My S211 has a function to protect the motor, so cuts off after a period.

I'm old enough to remember the days when washer fluid was just water. The car won't suffer at all. Tesco do a perfectly decent concentrate.

So, which indy was it??

Finally back to normal without the endless posts on the Trump & Covid threads :)
2 threads? (That were boring anyway)
Hardly worth even thinking about yet they were closed because a few people chucked their toys out the pram!! 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

So my car went in to an indie for some work today, when it went in it had the ‘top up washer fluid’ light on. When I got it back they’d obviously (trying to be helpful) topped it up for me, however they seem to have used straight water?

I would like to get this out of the system and refill with screenwash at the correct ratio as I’m concerned about it freezing etc....I’ll be collecting the usual MB winter fit tomorrow but in the meantime I’m concerned the water in the tank may freeze overnight... will I do any damage to the pump by just holding the screen-wash button down so it sprays out until the tank empties? I assume it’ll take a while to empty the supply.
Can’t you use the wipers a few times and just squirt a bit of washing up liquid in there?? That’s all I’ve ever done.

Nothing ;) The MB stuff comes with a fancy invoice :D Jokes aside, I found the MB stuff to work better than the pre-mix stuff I got from Halfords last time.
Is the mb stuff perfumed and give a better spray pattern ?

The chinese £14 oil extraction pumps from Lidl would empty your washer fluid reservoir in a minute or so. Handy things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom