Mechanic topped up screenwash with straight water?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
See post 22.

As someone who’s been here a few years I can take the negative comments, but I’m not surprised why a lot of new members feel hesitant to post or participate for fear of being belittled by the usual bunch. 👍

At the end of the day - the thread prompted discussion and that’s what a forum is for.

Thanks for your concern

As someone who’s been here a few years I can take the negative comments, but I’m not surprised why a lot of new members feel hesitant to post or participate for fear of being belittled by the usual bunch. 👍

At the end of the day - the thread prompted discussion and that’s what a forum is for.
I think most "negatve" comments were meant in a light hearted fashion and not meant to cause offence.

I'll get my coat.

Hesitant to post in a thread about water and screenwash 🤣🤣

I dont think its being hesitant, I think its more likely they are waiting until April 1st so as not to get caught out.

^^ I remember reading that a few years back. I was due to some cheap screenwash that caused some soapy/scum at the bottom which blocked the washer jets

I had the same last week with blocked filter on windscreen washer pump.
The car has only done about 1000 miles in the last 18 months an in that time has only been serviced by BMW so hardly likely to have had screen washer bottle refilled by anyone other than BMW.
Searching on the interweb reveals this to be a problem with BMW and too fine filters on their windscreen washer pumps. Apparently there are 3 pumps, one for the windscreen, one for the headlights & one for the rear screen with the windscreen one mounted lowest in the washer bottle, therefore the first to pick up any sludge.
Looked like it had been a previous problem as there was some insulation tape round a pipe joint under the bonnet.
Windscreen washer bottle can only be accessed by removing the wheel arch liner which is held on by plastic plugs which will break on any attempt to remove.
My solution:-
Blow some air down the pipe under the bonnet to unblock the filter.
Drain the tank using the windscreen washer pump.
3 sterident tablets & hot water in the tank & leave for 3 hours.
Flush out using washer pump twice, blowing air down the pipe a couple of times also.
Refill with filtered water & Halfords screen wash.
Time will tell if my cure has worked

I had the same last week with blocked filter on windscreen washer pump.
The car has only done about 1000 miles in the last 18 months an in that time has only been serviced by BMW so hardly likely to have had screen washer bottle refilled by anyone other than BMW.
Searching on the interweb reveals this to be a problem with BMW and too fine filters on their windscreen washer pumps. Apparently there are 3 pumps, one for the windscreen, one for the headlights & one for the rear screen with the windscreen one mounted lowest in the washer bottle, therefore the first to pick up any sludge.
Looked like it had been a previous problem as there was some insulation tape round a pipe joint under the bonnet.
Windscreen washer bottle can only be accessed by removing the wheel arch liner which is held on by plastic plugs which will break on any attempt to remove.
My solution:-
Blow some air down the pipe under the bonnet to unblock the filter.
Drain the tank using the windscreen washer pump.
3 sterident tablets & hot water in the tank & leave for 3 hours.
Flush out using washer pump twice, blowing air down the pipe a couple of times also.
Refill with filtered water & Halfords screen wash.
Time will tell if my cure has worked
The same procedure I’m doing on Mini. BMW must have used the same filters and pumps throughout the group. The rear screen washer (2nd pump) gets clogged every 3 months.

I use Shell all-season ready mixed screen wash. This way I don't need to add anything - water or otherwise.

BMW sell their own admix, different mix for winter & summer.
Pricey compared to Halfords.
If my fix doesn't work I will buy their stuff rather than pay their £150 - £180 repair cost.

The headlight washer pump seized on my clk this winter - water in there surely can’t help. Ok ‘first world problem’ but you actually need those useless things to work to get through an MOT now and an annoying faff to replace.

Ordered some of this today, not bad for £5 per ltr high concentration.

Attachments

• 81AF7BE3-FA06-419C-B2B1-5F3AE1EA30CA.jpeg
    81AF7BE3-FA06-419C-B2B1-5F3AE1EA30CA.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 12
Ordered some of this today, not bad for £5 per ltr high concentration.
I ordered that last night too. Good stuff and never had any issues in any of the mercs. I dilute it 1:1, smells good too. 😄

BMW sell their own admix, different mix for winter & summer.
Pricey compared to Halfords.
If my fix doesn't work I will buy their stuff rather than pay their £150 - £180 repair cost.
Mercedes do the same, it’s called Winterfit and Summerfit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom