Mechanic topped up screenwash with straight water?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The chinese £14 oil extraction pumps from Lidl would empty your washer fluid reservoir in a minute or so. Handy things.
A Turkey baster could do the job in no time.

I alway used the windscreen washer fluid to remind me of my next service, when it ran out it was time for a service :D

Use Rain X or equivalent on your screen. The rain just blows away at about 35mph & below that only an occasional flick wipe. It keeps the screen clean. I don't remember the last time I used the screen washers. Years. Off the top of my head, I can't remember how to activate them. When the car goes in for a service it always comes back with a bottle of unopened screen wash in the passenger footwell as the washer bottle is always full

I use this, my indy says that MB recommend as it doesn't perish the rubbers

8AD4A7F5-1D2D-4474-BAA1-508CA07C7B3C.jpeg

Everyone has their own opinion, I have been using it for years with no problems

I
Everyone has their own opinion, I have been using it for years with no problems
I Found with rain x . When the wipers went across the windscreen , it gave an appearance something similar to cling film.

Use Rain X or equivalent on your screen. The rain just blows away at about 35mph & below that only an occasional flick wipe. It keeps the screen clean. I don't remember the last time I used the screen washers. Years. Off the top of my head, I can't remember how to activate them. When the car goes in for a service it always comes back with a bottle of unopened screen wash in the passenger footwell as the washer bottle is always full
Dp you mind sending me all those sealed bottles of MB windscreen washer that you have accumulated over the years...? I'll pay for postage :D

Dp you mind sending me all those sealed bottles of MB windscreen washer that you have accumulated over the years...? I'll pay for postage :D
I’ll have a couple MJ ;)

Well I couldn’t be bothered to go to MB today 😳😂

As I have mentioned before on here , it is only once I joined this forum that I discovered that there is a whole sub culture dedicated to screen wash. Despite owning many cars (and even more company cars) in my life and driving hundreds of thousands miles in them screen wash was just something you bunged in the little plastic tank to stop it freezing and/or help the water in there to do a better job of cleaning the screen. Never heard of the stuff 'gelling up' or rotting rubber/plastic components etc. But it must happen because I have read about it on here 👍

All great fun. Rain X ? used it on bike helmet visors, the one designed for plastics. So I am not a complete Luddite :p

As I have mentioned before on here , it is only once I joined this forum that I discovered that there is a whole sub culture dedicated to screen wash. Despite owning many cars (and even more company cars) in my life and driving hundreds of thousands miles in them screen wash was just something you bunged in the little plastic tank to stop it freezing and/or help the water in there to do a better job of cleaning the screen. Never heard of the stuff 'gelling up' or rotting rubber/plastic components etc. But it must happen because I have read about it on here 👍

All great fun. Rain X ? used it on bike helmet visors, the one designed for plastics. So I am not a complete Luddite :p
My previous MB was squirting jelly after mixing up a number of different brands.

My previous MB was squirting jelly after mixing up a number of different brands.
Same with a Golf recently.
I think the key is, try to use the same brand, and if you're not running the car much (and therefore the screenwash will be resident for a long time) don't dilute the screenwash to the minimum ratio, as stronger ratios tend to have better anti-microbial properties.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom