Mechanical sympathy and EVs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSLiverpool

MB Enthusiast
Car
Subaru Outback 3.0Rn
Our little Zoe has slotted in nicely to our car pool and it's got me thinking that Sunday morning nipping out for the papers, bacon etc I'm sure I'm not the only one cringing when doing this in a stone cold V8 that is still cold on return - on many an occasion I felt the need to drive around for a bit and warm her through - just me?

Anyhoo no such thoughts with the Zoe it doesn't care what you do as it hums away plus it's nicely pre heated when you get in.

So you can have your V8 V12 exotic / fragile classic just back it up with a cheap as chips EV ?

From later on this year we will be a 2 EV family and my 4*4 V8 will be the family 4 seater for longer trips however it will be swapped for a convertible so it's a bit more special.

For sad info I get 3.6 miles per KW at 17p @ KW but I'm looking at economy 7 for 7p / KW I can charge for free nearby but the saving is negated by coffee and cakes bought whilst waiting!

For sad info I get 3.6 miles per KW at 17p @ KW but I'm looking at economy 7 for 7p / KW I can charge for free nearby but the saving is negated by coffee and cakes bought whilst waiting!

Perhaps some enterprising chap will open a coffee stop where they have exercise bikes/treadmills hooked up to generators to provide free charging - that way you burn off the calories while you refuel ( both you and the car ) - of course a treadmill would take a l o n g time to charge a car , but it would be very 'green' .

Coffee and cakes sound much more me.

The wife does 5miles each way to work and our next car when hers goes will almost certainly be a EV or plug in hybrid. I can see why they work for so many people.

I looked at getting a Nissan Leaf last year, booked a test for 24 hours and went with the Mrs to pick it up, I made sure she got behind the driving wheel and we drove somewhere for a nice lunch then back to Norwich, where she drove into one of the city centre shopping centres and whilst driving down one of the ramps managed to hit a central kerb with some force, causing and immediate blow out on the FOS wheel.We had a slow ride back to the dealer in a recovery truck, it cost me a new tyre and repair to the wheel (fair enough) The Mrs, in denial, blamed the car and subsequently refused to consider one. So that killed that idea.

Perhaps some enterprising chap will open a coffee stop where they have exercise bikes/treadmills hooked up to generators to provide free charging - that way you burn off the calories while you refuel ( both you and the car ) - of course a treadmill would take a l o n g time to charge a car , but it would be very 'green' .

There's already a device that converts exercise to transportation…

what-is-the-best-survival-bicycle.jpg

Giantvanman said:
From £13,995. How much are chips where you live? :eek:
Noooo don't buy it - £139 a month no deposit was the deal

...and the harder you work, the quicker your car charges up!

No no no and no electric motors belong in washing machines and sewing machines not in cars.

I've stopped watching F1 because of all that malarkey it's just not racing anymore

Bl**dy greenies got a lot to answer for ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom