Media Interface Not Working with Samsung Galaxy S4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoroC220

Car
2011 C Class C220 Sport Edition125
Can anyone tell me how to get the Media Interface to work with a Galaxy S4?

When I connect My Phone with the Lead it shows that it's Activating but then says No Playable Files even though I have Albums etc on My Phone

Please Help

I have the same issue, so hoping someone knows the answer. I think it could mean it will only read the device storage and not the memory card. That would be rubbish if it was the case, I hope not.

Plan to test with a couple of files moved to device store later

Its Works with the iphone but not the Samsung. Before I updated My Android to 4.3 I used to be able to View files but now it shows "No Playable Files"

Tested with locally stored files, and also with Galaxy S3 Mini, which shows the same issue so seems to be a sammy thing, - when will all these people get their heads together and use common platforms - all they need are common APIs .. but that would too simple

Tested with locally stored files, and also with Galaxy S3 Mini, which shows the same issue so seems to be a sammy thing, - when will all these people get their heads together and use common platforms - all they need are common APIs .. but that would too simple

I have Read that it is the way Samsung store there data is the reason it doesn't pick up the files but surely with the Advance Technology that Mercedes have surely they should be able to find a way round this.

I Currently have the Technical Department of Mercedes Head Office looking into this and gunna come back to me with there outcome !!!!

I have Read that it is the way Samsung store there data is the reason it doesn't pick up the files but surely with the Advance Technology that Mercedes have surely they should be able to find a way round this.

I Currently have the Technical Department of Mercedes Head Office looking into this and gunna come back to me with there outcome !!!!
I have managed to establish that Android removed support for USB mass storage from the current OS (unless your root it, whatever that entails). That is what is generically used by MP3 players. although I don't disagree that MB should also support MTP which is what Samsung expect instead.

The fact we are having this conversion when we invest in top end devices and cars is beyond me, it should just work .. my Wife's B-Max does! :mad:

Anyway, it seems that KitKat, the next OS for Android brings USB mass storage back, but that's the OS, and there is no guessing when Samsung will provide that upgrade - gen opinion is they try to sell upgraded phones first so don't hold your breath.:wallbash:

Great that you have contacted MB top brass, and I was going to suggest we get a lobby going here .. but it seems it could be the device this time ... but a Software update would be nice .. I for one have given in to buying an SD card - but I am not happy that I have had to spend even one more penny here .... Good luck, and look forward your update when MB reply ...:crazy:

I have managed to establish that Android removed support for USB mass storage from the current OS (unless your root it, whatever that entails). That is what is generically used by MP3 players. although I don't disagree that MB should also support MTP which is what Samsung expect instead.

The fact we are having this conversion when we invest in top end devices and cars is beyond me, it should just work .. my Wife's B-Max does! :mad:

Anyway, it seems that KitKat, the next OS for Android brings USB mass storage back, but that's the OS, and there is no guessing when Samsung will provide that upgrade - gen opinion is they try to sell upgraded phones first so don't hold your breath.:wallbash:

Great that you have contacted MB top brass, and I was going to suggest we get a lobby going here .. but it seems it could be the device this time ... but a Software update would be nice .. I for one have given in to buying an SD card - but I am not happy that I have had to spend even one more penny here .... Good luck, and look forward your update when MB reply ...:crazy:

From what you are Saying does that mean that when Kitkat 4.4 arrives the ability to listen to our phones music via the media interface? I have recently had the most recent update for my 2011 Comand so I think it may have to be the phone what needs updating

You have a release date for the 4.4, I have just installed 4.3 !!!

Cant say for sure on the USB support, the MTP issue is fact, but on a revisit I found it ambiguous on the sites I have read as to what the USB support will be on Kit Kat, prob best to ask on the forums for that.

I have an October 13 build vehicle, so no updates from MB wil fix this in current Comand. I got 4.3 just a few weeks back, so that might give an idea on how long it will be for 4.4 availability with Samsung - I read was Samsung are usually much later at releasing updates ... rooting is a way to force 4.4, but I know very little about that and tried the other day, failed, found out the Kies update stops rooting (sorry Aussie's) and so couln't add an app that actually gave USB mass storage .. point is, I spent hours getinbg more and more frustrated so went a bought an SD card, cheap one, and that works like a dream and now has been copied to the HDD ...

Update, Spoke to Mercedes and as it's been mentioned the issue is with the Phone and how music is stored not the Car, Hoping now that in the next update they make the MTP more compatible with our cars !!!

Cant say for sure on the USB support, the MTP issue is fact, but on a revisit I found it ambiguous on the sites I have read as to what the USB support will be on Kit Kat, prob best to ask on the forums for that.

I have an October 13 build vehicle, so no updates from MB wil fix this in current Comand. I got 4.3 just a few weeks back, so that might give an idea on how long it will be for 4.4 availability with Samsung - I read was Samsung are usually much later at releasing updates ... rooting is a way to force 4.4, but I know very little about that and tried the other day, failed, found out the Kies update stops rooting (sorry Aussie's) and so couln't add an app that actually gave USB mass storage .. point is, I spent hours getinbg more and more frustrated so went a bought an SD card, cheap one, and that works like a dream and now has been copied to the HDD ...

Update, Spoke to Mercedes and as it's been mentioned the issue is with the Phone and how music is stored not the Car, Hoping now that in the next update they make the MTP more compatible with our cars !!!

Did they know of the issue? Was any time frame mentioned for when a fix / update will be available?
Great that they are listening to you!

Did they know of the issue? Was any time frame mentioned for when a fix / update will be available?
Great that they are listening to you!

Either they know of the issues with Comand and Android or there simply just reading these Forums, LOL

They stated I need to Use BluDUN to access the Online Feature and stated the only way I will be ever be able to access the music of My samsung via my Comand is if Samsung change the the way the music is stored (MTP),

Basically Mercedes putting all the blame on Samsung !!!!

Bluetooth tethering works fine with my S4, you don't need Bluedun for that :thumb:

Go to settings, "More Networks", "Tethering & Portable Hotspot", and check "Bluetooth tethering" -
when you have Bluetooth connection already set up of course

.. I think I have found out that KitKat does seem to bring back USB mass storage if we look at hybrid OS (not Sammie) that are being touted now, so there might be light at the end of the tunnel .. its just when Sammie will do it for the S4 ... hence the £7 I spent on the SD card :mad:
It's not the cost, it's the principle !

Bluetooth tethering works fine with my S4, you don't need Bluedun for that :thumb:

Go to settings, "More Networks", "Tethering & Portable Hotspot", and check "Bluetooth tethering" -
when you have Bluetooth connection already set up of course

.. I think I have found out that KitKat does seem to bring back USB mass storage if we look at hybrid OS (not Sammie) that are being touted now, so there might be light at the end of the tunnel .. its just when Sammie will do it for the S4 ... hence the £7 I spent on the SD card :mad:
It's not the cost, it's the principle !

I am confused, I have tried the Bluetooth tethering, done what you you said but still get the message "Connected Phone does not Support data Communication" and I can't get the online to Work.

Hopefully the KitKit will bring it back and I can finally rest knowing I didn't make a mistake getting rid of My Iphone.

PS. In Sammie you mean Samsung Right? LOL

yep, Sammie = Samsung.. I also ditched iPhone this time round .. but its swings and roundabouts ..

I tested the data connection again, and it works fine - so worth having another go, maybe try manual set up on the car - did you go to settings on the Web side of Comand Online, I recall there was something I had to do there too

yep, Sammie = Samsung.. I also ditched iPhone this time round .. but its swings and roundabouts ..

I tested the data connection again, and it works fine - so worth having another go, maybe try manual set up on the car - did you go to settings on the Web side of Comand Online, I recall there was something I had to do there too

Yep I went to settings on the car and set it up as Uk and set my Network to 3 Services which my phone i and still get the same message up, I have had my car in mercedes too and they said it's not compatible with my phone without BluDUN.

I am confused to why Your S4 works but mine doesn't, I would love to have a bash of it !!!!

What settings can I use to get it to work, I have reset my Comand, Reset My Phone, Put Android 4.3 on and nothing !!!!

What are you trying to do?

Get the car to use your phone as an internet connection or get the media interface to work with your phone?

Have you got a contract that allows you to use your handset as a modem?
Only specific three plans allow this.

What are you trying to do?

Get the car to use your phone as an internet connection or get the media interface to work with your phone?

Have you got a contract that allows you to use your handset as a modem?
Only specific three plans allow this.

I am trying to get the Online to work on my Comand but not having any luck, I have tried with my Galaxy S4 on the Three Network and with My Partners iphone on 02 network and both didn't work plus my phone can work as a wireless hotspot and I sometime use it to get a internet connection on my laptop !!!!

Hi,

I have a Oct 2013 MB C250 build - I just tried Bluetooth internet tether with Samsung Galaxy S4 and it attempts to establish data connection on COMAND, it hangs like this for quite some time before failing. On the phone it appears the bluetooth tethering is dropping in and out. However my iphone works fine for data tethering. Any thoughts?

Hi,

I have a Oct 2013 MB C250 build - I just tried Bluetooth internet tether with Samsung Galaxy S4 and it attempts to establish data connection on COMAND, it hangs like this for quite some time before failing. On the phone it appears the bluetooth tethering is dropping in and out. However my iphone works fine for data tethering. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a poor internet connection. Us here in the Uk have issues connecting to the Comand as our phones don't allow data communication so we have to connect via BlueDUN to get round it, It does connects but the mercedes firmware makes it very slow and almost impossible to use, I wouldn't bother with it, its garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom