Media Interface & Windows Phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alzieboy

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E350CDI Coupe
Has anybody got a Windows phone connected to their MI and got the functions working, I can connect my Lumia 640 via BT and it works well. My old iPhone 4 which is now faulty connected no problem with the MI . Have googled and have come up with that Windows phones do not support MTP !!, now I am totally lost any help appreciated, apart from chuck window phone out and return to iOS :confused:

I've got a different car but and older 830 phone and it plays media through bluetooth just fine.

I've got a different car but and older 830 phone and it plays media through bluetooth just fine.

MI supports (using different leads)
1) AUX (video as-well if your car doesnt have certain options (TV on NTG2.5, Reverse camera on NTG4-W204)
2) iPhone 40 pin connector
3) iPhone lightning connector (via 40pin->lightning adapter, or on later cars via Mercedes lead)
4) USB

Given you don't have an iPhone, then your options are (1) or (4). As long as the windows phone is just presenting all the media as files on the USB in a format it supports (I don't think it supports WMA, the preference is MP3) then it should work on USB

But in reality I don't know how a Windows Phone presents the music files.

Richard

Yes mine plays fine via BT , but when connected to the MI via the correct cable it only charges the phone , my old iPhone when connected to the MI with the correct cable not only charged the phone , but also showed album art work and artist and track details played the tracks and could be altered via steering wheel controls .
Will think about reverting back to iOS , although I am pleased with the Nokia Lumia 640 windows phone on the whole

Possible work around method?
With our SLK we were surprised that there was no media interface for ipod. An ipod plugged into the usb port displayed music files in what seemed to be a totally random order.
Our work around was to Create a music file on pc containing files named "artist name". Within each artist name file we have "album names". I can't remember how, maybe when music imported from itunes, we got album art linked to each album.
Bought a micro usb sitck & copied the files over.
USB stick permanantly plugged in to USB port in car & it works just as we had expected an ipod to including displaying album art.

Yes mine plays fine via BT , but when connected to the MI via the correct cable it only charges the phone , my old iPhone when connected to the MI with the correct cable not only charged the phone , but also showed album art work and artist and track details played the tracks and could be altered via steering wheel controls .
Will think about reverting back to iOS , although I am pleased with the Nokia Lumia 640 windows phone on the whole

First thought it would not work even via BT for you.

Now I tried mine with the USB cable and it still works fine. A bit different car but the phone is older, cannot see why your phone would not work. Perhaps you had the phone security locked. You have to open the phone like when using USB with a laptop. I guess there is no way to "pair" the phone for the USB connection, at least no safe way that would prevent unauthorized access to other content on the phone.

Have come to the conclusion that Windows phones are not compatible with the Media Interface for comand. Used the cable I purchased for the Windows phone and connected my Wife's Moto G android phone to the MI and comand connected to the phone played Audio and showed album artwork . Can of course play from the Windows phone via BT . :eek:

I had same problem on my VW with the 640 finally got to someone sensible at Nokia. Who then confirmed there is no audio channel output via the micro usb only via the jack so the phone won't work with any car media system via cable only Bluetooth. I switched to a Samsung Galaxy and problem solved although I did like the Windows phone

I should have done my homework a little more thorough on the windows phone , but it's not that much of a deal breaker , still have a week left to return the phone if I can't live with it . Can't bring myself round to forking out mega £s to replace my old faulty iPhone 4 . ;)

I should have done my homework a little more thorough on the windows phone , but it's not that much of a deal breaker , still have a week left to return the phone if I can't live with it . Can't bring myself round to forking out mega £s to replace my old faulty iPhone 4 . ;)

I made the same mistake Windows phone worked fine over Bluetooth but I wanted full integration into the media system which on the VW was only possible via the cable and MDI socket. Best thing I ever did was ditch my iPhone 5s i'd forgot what other good alternatives there are out there for a fraction of the price.

Have come to the conclusion that Windows phones are not compatible with the Media Interface for comand. Used the cable I purchased for the Windows phone and connected my Wife's Moto G android phone to the MI and comand connected to the phone played Audio and showed album artwork . Can of course play from the Windows phone via BT . :eek:
Sorry for dragging this up.
I'm new to Mercedes and I don't use Apple products, I'm familiar with Android, I have found many products on the internet but I'm not sure that they are compatible could you tell me where you bought your cable from?

Thanks for your help. Wow this forum is so useful:D

Perhaps you could give some details of what you require, is the cable you want required to connect to the media interface in the arm rest ?. I will try to help inbetween visiting my Wife . :(

Perhaps you could give some details of what you require, is the cable you want required to connect to the media interface in the arm rest ?. I will try to help inbetween visiting my Wife . :(

I apologise for not making myself more clear. I thought by quoting your post you would understand that the cable I wanted to purchase was the cable you had mentioned in your post.
Thank you for taking the time to reply I'm sure you have far more important things to do I hope your wife gets well soon.

I apologise for not making myself more clear. I thought by quoting your post you would understand that the cable I wanted to purchase was the cable you had mentioned in your post.
Thank you for taking the time to reply I'm sure you have far more important things to do I hope your wife gets well soon.

Cables available from main dealer & Comand Online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom