Media Interface

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

et0609

Car
E350d
Ive just bought a E350 which has the media interface socket in the centre glovebox. It came with an iPhone 5 cable, however after getting an error on the comand screen, Ive noticed the cable is not a genuine MB one. I think the previous owner left it behind.

My question is, what functions does using the media interface have over bluetooth media streaming? I realise I can use Bluetooth to steam music to the comand and control it, but information Ive seen online suggests the media interface hasnt got a great deal of additional functions except charging the battery. The genuine cable is £50 so Id rather not buy one if I dont get a great deal of functionality such as video compatability, album artwork etc.

Anybody with any knowledge, Id be grateful for the advice.

Thanks.

Ive just bought a E350 which has the media interface socket in the centre glovebox. It came with an iPhone 5 cable, however after getting an error on the comand screen, Ive noticed the cable is not a genuine MB one. I think the previous owner left it behind.

My question is, what functions does using the media interface have over bluetooth media streaming? I realise I can use Bluetooth to steam music to the comand and control it, but information Ive seen online suggests the media interface hasnt got a great deal of additional functions except charging the battery. The genuine cable is £50 so Id rather not buy one if I dont get a great deal of functionality such as video compatability, album artwork etc.

Anybody with any knowledge, Id be grateful for the advice.

Thanks.

Album artwork appears on media interface, track information appears faster when skipping.

No video though :(

You can browse your playlists and tracks through the head unit. I got my cables from eBay for about £20. Just make sure you get the right version for your car. I learnt the hard way and got the wrong ones the first couple of times. They will fit but show an incompatibility error.

I have a similar issue with my 2014 C63 507... I bought an MMI to Lightening lead off eBay for my iPhone 7 and while it plugs in fine and the phone charges, Comand gives a No Device Connected error. The seller is happy to swap, but isn't confident what I need in return, LOL! Is there a way to find out the Comand software version number or something that will help identify the right lead?

i have a W204 with command online with media cable under the armrest i just get “ device not compatible “ on screen tried it with two ipods and a ipad , any idea on finding the correct lead for my vehicle ?

The USB port on the W204 is not an iPod/iPhone adapter.

It can be used to play or copy music off a USB Flash Drive ('memory stick') in the same way that the SD Card slot at the front of the COMAND unit works.

And of course it is also a USB charger.

i am using a media interface cable not usb
fc51c027d666091c575e6ab92436bd0f.heic

but i just get this message onscreen
a8658e951473c48b9b9fa1515521424b.heic

it will charge a ipod but that’s all

If you want to play music off your iPhone, and your car is not fitted with the iPod kit, then you can connect the iPhone to COMAND as BT Audio Device (disconnect the iPhone from the USB port when first pairing it with COMAND).

This works quite well, though the limitation is that the music player is still operated from the iPhone, not from COMAND, so you can't really use it while driving. Of course you can have a passanger operate the iPhone, or just set it to play a pre-prepared play list or 'shuffle'.

Another option would be to copy the music files onto COMAND's internal music store... but this has it's own problems.

In short it would have been nice if COMAND Online NTG4.5 came with a Spotify app.... or Apple CarPlay.

Yes the system has a few shortfalls, i can play and fully control ( steering wheel and normal controls ) my iphone via BT but don’t get any album art onscreen , i have command online with HK , if i use the sd card or music register the audio quality drops off quite a bit but does have album art onscreen , coming from a 2007 A6 Audi this is a massive downgrade in music quality

A 320kbps bit rate MP3 file played from the SD Card or internal Music Store should produce better sound quality than music played over BT.

(Though a 'proper' Audio CD played from the CD drive will produce the quality sound quality)

i am using a media interface cable not usb
fc51c027d666091c575e6ab92436bd0f.heic

but i just get this message onscreen
a8658e951473c48b9b9fa1515521424b.heic

it will charge a ipod but that’s all
There are different media interface cables available, you need to make sure the one you have is the right one for your car. Double check with your local Mercedes dealer, or maybe COMAND.co.uk

Thanks for that - I've now realised that the dealer supplied the wrong cable.
At least if you bought from a dealer, and it's their mistake, then it should be a straightforward process to replace it with the correct cable.

At least if you bought from a dealer, and it's their mistake, then it should be a straightforward process to replace it with the correct cable.

It wasn't an official MB dealer and they already replaced it once, so I think its easier to just pay £6 on ebay.

Mercedes-Benz IPod/IPhone to Media Interface Cable A0038270204 | eBay

One thing I didn't realise is that the USB interface cable is only for the limited set of devices listed. I tried plugging a USB memory drive into it and got the message to use the other USB socket.

You're welcome. Probably a bit late for garycat but I have spare a002 & a003 iPod (30 pin) cables up for grabs. FOC if you promise to put a couple of quid in the next charity tin you see.

You're welcome. Probably a bit late for garycat but I have spare a002 & a003 iPod (30 pin) cables up for grabs. FOC if you promise to put a couple of quid in the next charity tin you see.

I have a 2014 C63 507.... I think I need the A003 cable (according to the site linked above), if you still have it, I'd happily liberate it for a donation :)

It's yours. Will PM you.

Edit: OK. It looks like I can't start a 'conversation' with you. I'm guessing that's because you don't have 30 posts yet.

Any ideas how I can send him a private message?

i have a spare 104 and 204 foc to anyone who needs them mine needs a 404 that’s on order [emoji849] third time lucky i hope

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom