Media Streamer / NAS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whitey

Car
Seat Arosa 1.4 Auto :-(
Hi guys

Thinking of getting a WD Live TV Hub.

I am looking at getting networked storage, so I looked at the WD Live Hub as it acts as storage and as a media player (MKV/ISO support).

I know I can get a drive for my PC, but I do not want this on, as I want relative silence - I ditched my PS3 as it was too noisey for bluray playback.

I prefer to spin a disc to watch new films, so use Lovefilm. However, there are a lot of films/series that the guys at work have.

It will also give me somewhere to store photographs after backing them up on CD.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers

Chris

I have a Synology DS211j NAS with streaming & downloading (Usenet & Torrent) built in. Up to 4TB storage (2TB if you want to RAID it). I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I have a Boxee Box for doing the media playing, very very easy to use and plays every file I have ever thrown at it.

Is the Boxee noisey at all ?

Can it play back blu ray at 24hz do you know ?

Thanks !

The Boxee is pretty much silent. The list of supported formats is here: What file types and container formats does Boxee support? : Boxee Support

Not sure about the hz thing, I have had a couple of films that jittered due to a poor rip of the original but it was only me in the house that noticed it.

Bear in mind that the Boxee can do lots of other stuff besides play films. It has a music player, photo gallery, can connect to Youtube, iPlayer, NetFlix etc.

Take a look at Boxee - Watch Movies, TV Shows and clips from the Internet on your TV.

Boxee - does it connect to services of muh use in the UK - or is it quite US specific? Such as it supporting Netflix, which is solely US based.

Boxee - does it connect to services of muh use in the UK - or is it quite US specific? Such as it supporting Netflix, which is solely US based.

It is fairly US oriented at the moment but there are 3rd party apps being built for it all the time. There are apps for BBC, SeeSaw, Love Film, and BlinkBox.

The beauty of my Synology / Boxee setup is that I can automate downloads on the NAS to go and grab films and then schedule the Boxee to scan the network drive for changes. When I get back from work all my new stuff is there and ready to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom