Meet “Boris”

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'll be surprised if it sees much if anything north of 25k......there are some minters out there for that. Its not 2021 any more!
Not really as there is a handful on Autotrader that have the PPP (like-for-like comparison) and over half have triple the miles and have been modified.

I guess the ultimate proof will be the price achieved on collecting cars. I speak from experience having sold a unmodified, same age, same mileage, better spec C63 a year ago, in arguably a more buoyant market. Don't get me wrong, I love these cars and wish I hadn't sold mine, but the fact of the matter is these cars are over 10 years old and are starting to need serious work/money to keep them maintained to standard. And then there's the insurance problem which has surfaced over the last year or so. I sincerely hope you achieve your £35k but I think £25k is top end for this car.

As an aside, in case anyone's interested, I sold my C63s final edition earlier this year back to Sytner, and it's still sat unsold for £10k less than they paid me. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment!

I guess the ultimate proof will be the price achieved on collecting cars. I speak from experience having sold a unmodified, same age, same mileage, better spec C63 a year ago, in arguably a more buoyant market. Don't get me wrong, I love these cars and wish I hadn't sold mine, but the fact of the matter is these cars are over 10 years old and are starting to need serious work/money to keep them maintained to standard. And then there's the insurance problem which has surfaced over the last year or so. I sincerely hope you achieve your £35k but I think £25k is top end for this car.

As an aside, in case anyone's interested, I sold my C63s final edition earlier this year back to Sytner, and it's still sat unsold for £10k less than they paid me. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment!
Yes, it is currently a buyer's market. A Good example and low mileage should not cost much to maintain. Appreciate your feedback.

Yes, it is currently a buyer's market. A Good example and low mileage should not cost much to maintain. Appreciate your feedback.
I respectfully disagree. Mine was owned from new, fastidiously maintained and garaged all its life. Properly followed the break in procedure. Always gently driven until fully up to temperature. It was never run on anything other than Shell V-power. After 10 years, it developed an oil leak which needed the engine out to repair. New discs/pads all round at this sort of mileage (not cheap on a PPP). There were probably a few other things which would need doing like suspension/bushes etc. 10/11 year old performance cars are not cheap to maintain. Just being honest, sorry.

I respectfully disagree. Mine was owned from new, fastidiously maintained and garaged all its life. Properly followed the break in procedure. Always gently driven until fully up to temperature. It was never run on anything other than Shell V-power. After 10 years, it developed an oil leak which needed the engine out to repair. New discs/pads all round at this sort of mileage (not cheap on a PPP). There were probably a few other things which would need doing like suspension/bushes etc. 10/11 year old performance cars are not cheap to maintain. Just being honest, sorry.
Everyone has a different experience/ luck. No car is perfect and comes with a cost. So far, my experience owning this car has been, annual services, new rubber and fueling with Shell V-power also.

Mine was faultless also and very well speced I loved it but was made a stupid offer so it went would i buy another yes I would BUT the w205 is a better car in so many way's that's why I say it will be an enthusiast abit like the M156 loving skd884😀

Mine was faultless also and very well speced I loved it but was made a stupid offer so it went would i buy another yes I would BUT the w205 is a better car in so many way's that's why I say it will be an enthusiast abit like the M156 loving skd884😀
Can't beat the W204 naturally aspirated engine - noise and delivery of power.

Im not sure on that whilst it does sound great the SLK55 AMG M113 sounds pretty good too especially with the xpipe 🙂

After 10 years, it developed an oil leak which needed the engine out to repair. There were probably a few other things which would need doing like suspension/bushes etc. 10/11 year old performance cars are not cheap to maintain.
All the M156 engines develop the oil leak as the engine block, upper & lower pan are all sealed with RTV with no gasket. Mine had it but it wasn't yet bad enough to spend the money taking the engine out.

The bushes is one of those things that don't have to be done and owners will often only change them when they clonk. This leads to storing up all those jobs for the next owner.
Everyone has a different experience/ luck. No car is perfect and comes with a cost. So far, my experience owning this car has been, annual services, new rubber and fueling with Shell V-power also.
It might not have shown signs of needing other things but it will have parts that are passed their best.

A look back through some of the recent sales shows you the reality of the market at the moment. That plus I'm still part of a Facebook C63 group where there's lots of activity and comment.

There's simply way more cars than buyers and the few who would pay over the odds for an excellent example don't have to because there's no competition.

I estimate it'll get to around £25k before the Collecting Cars fee. I'll eat my hat if it goes over £30k.

Post number 33

Can't beat the W204 naturally aspirated engine - noise and delivery of power.
As much as I love the dead era of engines that this engine represents and the sound it makes, the way it delivers it's power is its main problem to me when I have driven them....no 6.2L V8 should need to be revved that hard to make power. Fine on the track (where of excelled)...not so good on the road where revving it all the time becomes tiring.....even if acoustically it's brilliant. The 157 produces more power everywhere than the 156.....and more importantly it makes it low in the revs...exactly where you need it for a quick street car.
465 lb⋅ft of torque at 5,200 rpm will never compete with 590 lb⋅ft of torque at 2,000-4,500 rpm on the road.

As much as I love the dead era of engines that this engine represents and the sound it makes, the way it delivers it's power is its main problem to me when I have driven them....no 6.2L V8 should need to be revved that hard to make power. Fine on the track (where of excelled)...not so good on the road where revving it all the time becomes tiring.....even if acoustically it's brilliant. The 157 produces more power everywhere than the 156.....and more importantly it makes it low in the revs...exactly where you need it for a quick street car.
465 lb⋅ft of torque at 5,200 rpm will never compete with 590 lb⋅ft of torque at 2,000-4,500 rpm on the road.
156 has plenty of torque so no need to high rev, especially when crusing. Not driven a 157 to be fair but the 156 has plenty of power.

I have both M156 and M157. Both fantastic engines 🙂

M156 - shes more of a race engine, she likes to be hammered the odd occasion, loves an Italian tune. She wants to open her lungs, wants to free her cams and valves. She likes Goodwood race track. Shes more of an M80 Porsche race engine, also designed by Bernd Rambler. Mercedes won't be making an engine of this sort ever again. Exhaust notes are very racing menacing sound, very pleasant and therapeutic too. Very reliable engine, no catastrophic engine failures. Shes fuel thirsty, will empty your wallet. M156 are suitable for both boy racers and mature drivers 🙂

M157 - she's lightning McQueen, reaches very high speeds very quickly, smoothly with very little noise and drama. Shes also very economical for a V8. Definitely NO to Italian tune, she is fragile, conrods and cylinder walls are fragile. She needs extra love and caress. Shes more suited for mature drivers, CEO's, Doctors, Barasters, professionals who all need to get to work quite quickly as possible. Shes more of a German hungry Autobarn engine and will zoom past anything very quickly. You do need to read the road ahead, shes very quick. With the correct exhaust mod, she sounds just as amazing, more bass tones and turbo whistle. She not for the track, more at home on the Autobarn. 🙂

Exhaust notes - both are pleasant and therapeutic

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom