Meet the new MB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
well, a 1993 W124 multivalve estate to be precise. I am doing so much more driving of late and the 320 is just either too uneconomical or left behind for my classics. So off to Mr Froome with that to sell on my behalf, and meet Brangäne, a light beauty, handmade to Isolde (my fiery BMW 02) and it was love at first drive, as befits the character who gives Tristan and Isolde the love potion that inspires the famous Liebestod from the Wagner (who else) Opera.

Brangäne

A quite delightful ride, thoroughly sorted, and a single owner for 18 years who indulged and treated her. Wearing her 176,000 miles with ease and the engine is turbine smooth and surprisingly potent.

I was toying with naming her Grane, after Brunnhilde's steed, the horse that takes her unflinching into her funeral pyre (Brunnhilde is my e320 that is going) but Brangäne won after a quick google reveals a planet of the same name called 606 Brangäne, so given the engine is a 606, it just had to be.

I wonder now I have a Citroen SM and a multivalve, should I be known as non-turbodieselman...:)

I have to admit I form a minds eye picture of who and what people are like in the real world based on their postings (or in your case Musings) on this forums. (Not all posters I add, just some of them).

I imagine Charles as a Dandy, much like this fine looking gentleman:-

Montesquiou%2C_Robert_de_-_Boldini.jpg

The forum is a brighter place with characters such as you.

You have an SM??!! Wow! Lucky man! I lusted after those as a teenager, but never got round to taking the plunge! :) Lovely 124 by the way! :)

They are a lovely old thing to cruise about in, except when you want to go up a hill.....

I live in high wycombe, so shifting the autobox manualy becomes very attractive. :thumb:

Charles, I wondered about a W124 diesel a short while ago. It'll be interesting to see what economy you get from it.

Red C220: I think there are some recent photos of Charles and his BMW at Goodwood on this forum somewhere.

Hi Charles, your stable is growing. I am pleased that you now have room to keep them within easy reach. As a general rule I do not name my vehicles, I did however name one 'Cerberus' a bit of a dog to say the least. I might name the CL600 'Bacchus' as driving it makes me a tad light headed. Bacchus and I are old friends, I pay him regular homage, he repays me at times with a bad head.

Nice acquisition Charles, it looks a cracker. I'd never have believed it was heading for 200K miles from the pictures.

Cheers,

Gaz

Fair play to Nick, he does source some very good cars and presents them really well. I hope you're very happy with your new acquisition.

I have to admit I form a minds eye picture of who and what people are like in the real world based on their postings (or in your case Musings) on this forums. (Not all posters I add, just some of them).

I imagine Charles as a Dandy, much like this fine looking gentleman:-

Montesquiou%2C_Robert_de_-_Boldini.jpg

The forum is a brighter place with characters such as you.

How nice. My niece, a 14 year old who is quite delightful and not at all horrible for a 14 year old described me as cool the other day. When asked, the judgement appeared to be based on the number of Apple products I possessed (shameless materialist that she is) but she didn't need to say that. Alas, much as I would like to look like the rather Proustian fellow above, my liking for madelaines of the cake variety (so much classier than doughnuts J_B_R) has lead to a marginally larger waist measurement and the moustache is bushy (if grown) but with insufficient length to allow the waxed ends.

My sartorial (as much as for his other works) hero is Mr L JK Setright, albeit his shirts were a bit 70s:

mftrike9.jpg

I am not sure what position he would take on shiny, as opposed to polished, shoes, but I am quite sure that they would be a good pair, him liking Bristols and all.

You have an SM??!! Wow! Lucky man! I lusted after those as a teenager, but never got round to taking the plunge! :) Lovely 124 by the way! :)

And here is my wee timorous beastie, part of the genus Hydra Ulic, a monster as imagined by the same Mr Setright. It is, without doubt, a creature of extraordinary magnificence that quite, especially when filling up, takes my breath away. A glorious thing, sent to show mortals that Icarus should have used hydraulic fluid rather than wax:

A most eclectic car

I plead guilty, and wish to mention shoes as mitigation.

They are a lovely old thing to cruise about in, except when you want to go up a hill.....

I live in high wycombe, so shifting the autobox manualy becomes very attractive. :thumb:

Kickdown uphill is the issue if going above 60, but with a good speed at the bottom, had no problem today going up the hill on the A27 towards Hove and maintaining it at 80 indicated all the way. But yes, some use of the gearbox may be required, but not as frequently as the 12 valve 300D I am currently piloting. Now that does require a lot of planning when driving.

And here is my wee timorous beastie, part of the genus Hydra Ulic, a monster as imagined by the same Mr Setright. It is, without doubt, a creature of extraordinary magnificence that quite, especially when filling up, takes my breath away. A glorious thing, sent to show mortals that Icarus should have used hydraulic fluid rather than wax:

A most eclectic car

Charles.

Thank you for sharing the pictures and description of this wonderful and enchanting addition to your stable. I wish you many years of pleasure cosseted in those beautiful seats.

David.

Charles, I wondered about a W124 diesel a short while ago. It'll be interesting to see what economy you get from it.

Red C220: I think there are some recent photos of Charles and his BMW at Goodwood on this forum somewhere.

Well, the 12 valve one I am currently driving average a touch under 42mpg on a 210 mile motorway run at or about a 70 mph average, with heavy, but moving, traffic on the M6 through Brum. With two trips into an incredibly congested London and one around the Oxford ring road (tailbacks all the way) I averaged exactly 36mpg included the first 210mile run. Very good, and you do have to rev the nuts off it at low speed to get any movement. I think the key problem is finding one, let alone one in good condition - the engines are close to immortal, the bodywork sadly not. Great if you fry a lot of chips though...

Update - I have done a lot of driving today, and the car is really a beauty. Superb ride - a bit softer than my 320, so it absorbs pretty awful road surfaces locally without complaint, and with little creaking and groaning, surprisingly responsive when pulling away - a lot more grunt than a 12 v and around London and environs just as effective as the 320, if not quite so rapid. Most of the time I am still the first away from the lights without a great degree of effort, so its comparative lack of oomph is not really a problem, and for the first time in my life I am driving a fashionable colour, white. Blaupunkt not a patch on Beckers though - soon be swapped over.

A most eclectic car
Absolutely delightful Charles! Possibly THE coolest car in existance! Maybe THAT'S why your niece said you were cool.....'cos you got the SM! :D

It was hilarious - I turned up in it, dropping something off, and my niece answered the door. I asked what she thought, and in her most sincere insincere voice said it was very nice, then said, with a definite cold steel in the voice - "PLEASE don't pick me up from school in it Uncle Charles..."

Which of course guarantees that is precisely what I shall do! Both nieces are serious neophiles, worshippers of mere gimcrack newness, and need to learn old can be deeply cool. Wait til I pick them up in the Allard while wearing flying gear....

Last edited:
I would have happily been picked up in an SM - do they not know what they're missing??? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom