Meeting Like Minded Car People

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Over the years I have got to meet many great car people, whether it be through modifying cars back in my early driving years to owners clubs and forums. I have also had the pleasure of meeting some local car nuts who happen to come by when I'm outside washing the car. Something of a rarity nowadays but there's at least a couple of older guys (both Jag drivers) who take similar pride and usually stop for a chat.

Now considering I have lived in my house for 12 years, a chap stopped by outsider my house just before Christmas to say hello. It turns out he lives literally round the corner and is complete car nut, I was walking past and had a (distanced) catch up with him about his selection of cars. He's in his 70s and put simply is a massive car guy.

His pride and joy is this V8 Alfa, can't recall the model but I'm sure someone will and his other two 1930s Austins.

97nAaNW.jpg

fuc4wxx.jpg

He also has a selection of other cars, he's partial to a convertible so has an S2000, CLK, A4 as well as a handful of other cars indluding a Porsche 944.

MK1EBSx.jpg

Really interesting guy who's done various rallies across deserts etc.

Anyone else come across interesting fellow car nerds?

Collecting VW’s and VW bits I’ve met a few. Went to fetch a Golf Gti carpet many years back from a farm like property near Stamford and was shown into a building literally full of rare and stunning Volkswagens and racks of various bits. Amazing just what’s out there and a lot never to be seen.

OMG! A Montreal! I LOVE those! And that looks a beaut.

Worth an absolute bomb these days, I had the opportunity to buy one many years ago (just before the prices skyrocketed, of course). Another one that slipped through my fingers. I decided not to in the end, having heard stories about reliability (it is a 1970s Alfa, after all), and how the sight and sound of a misfiring Montreal approaching could cause many a chief mechanic to turn pale and run away..

Cheers,

Gaz

OMG! A Montreal! I LOVE those! And that looks a beaut.

Worth an absolute bomb these days, I had the opportunity to buy one many years ago (just before the prices skyrocketed, of course). Another one that slipped through my fingers. I decided not to in the end, having heard stories about reliability (it is a 1970s Alfa, after all), and how the sight and sound of a misfiring Montreal approaching could cause many a chief mechanic to turn pale and run away..

Cheers,

Gaz

That's the one, I couldn't recall the model he mentioned but V8 stood out in my mind of course haha. It definitely looks like it's his pride and joy despite the other two. His Austin was another one he clearly loved, driven it literally everywhere despite it having no roof and being a three speed manual with no syncros so not exactly a luxury ride! haha

Once we get a bit of good weather, I'm thinking of offering to give one of the cars a clean up for him. You can tell a few of them have stood still for some time so got a bit of green on them. He's not as spritely as he used to be so doubt it's something he can do himself. :)

That Montreal looks very nice. Very few and far between without bucket loads of rust!

Montreals are super cool.

A member here was looking for a Montreal a while ago. I think it was the guy with a CL 65 AMG and some Porsche GT cars, and posts about buying an SL 65.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom