MeFitting a Bluetooth audio USB device to rcedes CLS W219.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddymccdrc

Car
CLS
My Mercedes CLS came fitted with the command sat nav and Bluetooth phone system however i was unable to stream music via Bluetooth. I do however have an audio input jack fitted to the glove box but the wires were rather unsightly.

For quite a while i had been using a USB Bluetooth dongle fitted to the cigarette lighter and tried to hide the wire as best i could around the dash trim.

I finally found a decent tutorial on how to remove the trim around the gear lever and thought its time now to fit something permanently into the rear of the cigarette lighter circuit.

I purchased one of these dual USB power adaptor convertors from ebay which step the voltage down from 12v to 5v USB power.
12V to 5V Dual USB Power Adapter Converter Connector Car Motor 3A Charger UK | eBay

Step 1
Remove gear level surround and unplug the cables to control air suspension and the gear lights.
Carefully remove the pocket/cigarette lighter socket. If you open the lid you can give it a lift up and out.
Now unplug the cable from behind the cigarette lighter.

Step 2
The cable you unplug from the cigarette lighter socket has 3 wires running to it. And shaped like this:
+
+ +
We are going to splice into the outside 2 wires and using a voltage meter you can determine which is the negative and positive.

Step 3
Using some quick splice connectors i joined the wires together and tidied the whole thing back up with some electrical tape.

I carefully routed the new USB cables over the support bar for the gear lever surround and into the space beside the gear lever tunnel and centre console trim.

Reconnect the cigarette socket/pocket to its connector and carefully slide it back into its space in the dash board being carefully to keep your newly attached wires directed out of the way.

Step 4
I now connected the Bluetooth USB dongle to one of the USB sockets in the trim beside the gear level tunnel and connected the audio cable here too.

If you now look under the car glove box you can detach the panel from there and then remove the carpet from the side of the passenger footwell where it meets the centre console.

This is where you can direct the audio cable from the USB dongle to the glove box and audio input port.

I also added some foam insulation around the USB connectors in the trim beside the gear level tunnel to prevent any rattles and noises when driving on bumpy roads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom