Meguiars headlight restoration kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulgorringe

Car
CLK500 Avantgarde
Hello to all:thumb:

After unsuccessfully trying to remove the yellowish oxidation on my headlights with a variety of products including T-Cut and believe it or not toothpaste I was almost resigned to replacing the lights.

However today I bought a Meguiars headlight restoration kit and after only an hour I have 2 lights that are almost as good as new. I think with another application they will be perfect.:D

The car now looks much better and all from an effortless process.
Highly recommended to all of you with similar oxidised lights

Did you have to use a machine polisher or was this done by hand ?

Also did the kit come with a final "protective" coat ?

Hi,

The kit comes with a buffer that fits into any drill for the polishing.
Also in the kit is some Plastx polish, sandpaper pads for "stubborn" areas which I did not use.
I have used a polymer sealer after using the kit to protect the finish

I only used about a quarter of the polish so I can repeat if the haze comes back.
However I hope it won't if I keep up with keeping the lights cleaned and sealed:thumb:

I've heard that the polymer sealant is needed otherwise the lenses will just haze over again reasonable quickly as the "protective outer layer" has been polished off

Apart from online where can you get these? Halfords don't stock them nor do my local car/stereo shop

Hi KillerHERTZ

I actually bought my kit from Halfords £19
You can check stock online at your local store on their website.
Just search headlight restoration

Good luck

Bought a kit yesterday from Halfords. My wireless drill doesnt keep its charge for long when used at full wack so its taking its time to sort the lights. Should have it done by the weekend though!

Bought a kit yesterday from Halfords. My wireless drill doesnt keep its charge for long when used at full wack so its taking its time to sort the lights. Should have it done by the weekend though!

For best result better use wired drill at low speed to start with

I used this kit

It takes a drill (preferably with speed adjustment) and a bit of patience. I used this kit on my golf. The lenses looked as though they had been sandblasted, but looked like new by the time I had finished. This particular kit also comes with a UV protectant to help prevent them deteriorating (I could only find it in the US).

Used my mains power drill to finish it. Amazing results, look brand new now!

What did you use to seal them?

TBH did not realise its needs sealing, but applied wax after.

I am quite happy with result, its been couple weeks now, and headlights still clear.

I'm with Tony.. where are the before and after pics? :fail

Were any of you able to polish out shallow stone chips?

Use wet n' dry to polish out anything, then buff up with regular polish for the finish. No need for a special kit.

Use wet n' dry to polish out anything, then buff up with regular polish for the finish. No need for a special kit.

For the sake of £20 its worth it.

Purchasing all the various grades of sandpaper aswell as polish, and a 'mop' would well exceed £20.

With this kit I had done the pair in a little over an hour. Why not use the kit?

Just because it comes from a big name doesnt mean its not worth getting. That drill attachment is fantastic, doing it manually would have taken the best part of a day.

Last edited:
Photos.

Before:
hlight1_zps4c2a8520.jpg

After:
hlight2_zpsfd321854.jpg

Before:
hlight3_zps92f037f4.jpg

After:
hlight4_zpsc53aebf2.jpg

I can even seen the 'Mother of Peal' effect once again:
hlight5_zpsa9c9b1e7.jpg

Used the Meguiars on my son's Yaris a few weeks ago....didn't spend too much time on it but here are the results so far:

before clean.jpg

after clean.jpg

Nice results! Headlights always make great before/afters, much like the engine bay or wheels!

I done the headlights on my last car as the UV coating was cracking near the top, sanded from 400 - 1200 dry then 1500-2500 wet then polished with Menzerna intensive polish then PlastX, came up absolutely brilliantly. Took 3 hours per lens to get them absolutely perfect, even got the minor stone chips out.

Well worth the effort however, you do need to seal them as without the UV coating then can oxidise very quickly which I didn't want as they weren't oxidised before I started! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom