Member experiences of online gap insurance providers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by derektrotter, Dec 24, 2015.

1. derektrotter

derektrotter Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    MB
    Hi All

Have put a deposit down on a 4 year old approved used W212 and one of the questions I'll get asked is if I want gap insurance which I do want, I've seen other companies online providing this cover, just wanted to see if any members here have used them with success?

Do not want to buy cheap cover which turns out to be useless when I claim but equally dont want to pay dealer prices if I can get same cover elsewhere :)

Theres also the smart chip/dent insurance which repairs scratches etc, sounds good, not too sure about it, I heard you may have to inform your insurer if you claim on smart which doesnt sound right.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  2. Tiim533

Tiim533 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1 person likes this.
  3. geraldrobins

geraldrobins Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Golf, past c200cdi
    Check the details on the smart repairs and what is covered etc. I think it is very specific on size and depth of damage or scratch etc and also a small excess has to paid on each claim.

1 person likes this.
  4. JBD

JBD Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C Class and ND MX5 Sport Recaro
    Damage has to fit within an 15cm circle. The callout charge is £15 and they'll now pay the first £250 of a body shop repair if your car is damaged beyond the scope of the cover

1 person likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    derektrotter

Car:
    MB
    Thank you all, i've read thru the terms of the honest john link and looks like "Back to Invoice Plus" is what I need, will probably do 4-5 years.
    Still undecided about the smart repair stuff, tempted just to leave it and then sort out any minor issues before I sell the car, reading the ALA/honest john cover for scratch and dent it lists exclusions such as:
    Minor Body Damage to horizontal, flat surfaces such as roofs, bonnets and boot tops.

Minor Body Damage where the paint is cracked, flaked or where any paint has been removed to reveal the underlying metalwork.

I'll see if the dealership one covers more stuff or has less exclusions, my current feeling however is probably best to give it a miss due to the exclusions

I will go for the ALA gap insurance however, seems to be fairly straight forward and will do what I need, probably much cheaper then the dealership too! if they offer to match it I'll compare to there offering.

If anyone has any further opinions feel free to add, not picking car up for another 3 days. :)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  6. Harrypic

Harrypic New Member

Car:
    E350 BEFF Sport 125 Cabriolet, Porsche 987.1 Boxster
    I'd suggest get a quote and then go back to the dealer with the quote.......we did and the MB dealer price for gap insurance oddly dropped from £500 to £290

1 person likes this.
  7. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (2004 facelift model)
    I've never gone for GAP on the basis that the reason the premiums are relatively low is because hardly anyone claims. I guess what you're buying is peace-of-mind.

If you do go for it, have a look at ALA, although off the top of my head I don't know if they'll cover used cars. Code PISTON12 (off Pistonheads) gives 12% discount. They seem to have a good reputation. Hello from ALA Insurance! -  Gassing Station - PistonHeads

1 person likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    derektrotter

Car:
    MB
    Thank you, think it's the same as honest John but will try that code :)