Memory seats... is this normal behaviour?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clawhamer

Car
Current: C43 C205 Gone: BMW M4 Cab
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been answered before or it’s obvious but I couldn’t find anything on the internet apart from a thread on another forum from 2007. When I adjust my seats forwards or backwards the headrests go up and down on their own. The thread from ‘07 said it’s a feature because taller people who move their seat back will also require the headrest to be higher and vice versa. Is this right or are my electrics buggered?
Thanks,
CH

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been answered before or it’s obvious but I couldn’t find anything on the internet apart from a thread on another forum from 2007. When I adjust my seats forwards or backwards the headrests go up and down on their own. The thread from ‘07 said it’s a feature because taller people who move their seat back will also require the headrest to be higher and vice versa. Is this right or are my electrics buggered?
Thanks,
CH
None of mine have ever done that ; it does not follow that taller people sit higher because someone could be longer in the legs and not the torso .

What will happen is that if the headrest is set higher in one memory setting than another , then all the movements will happen at once when you go from one memory setting to another .

In my cars I’ve always used position one for myself , two for her ladyship , and three is the seat fully back for ease of getting in and out - in the SL at least .

Claw, not quite understanding. Do your head rest go all the way up then all the way down every time you chose a seat position ?

Mine (2006 C class S203) simply go to whatever position they were set at on each of the 3 available memory positions. Other than that they do not move unless the headrest adjust button is pushed for adjustment.

They certainly don't go to max extension when I move my seat.

Reactions: 219
It is normal, Irecently tested is my ex-W220 and W219, but you can disable the feature by SDS

It obviously depends on the car ; but in all of my cars with memory electric seats , if the headrests are programmed to different heights in each memory position , then using the memory buttons they will move to the programmed position ( so will the steering wheel and mirrors if you have the facility ) ; but if I just want to move the seat forwards or backwards by pushing the seat base button on the door then only that adjustment is moved , and if I don't store that new position , the memory setting will be unaltered . Anything else seems daft .

but if I just want to move the seat forwards or backwards by pushing the seat base button on the door then only that adjustment is moved , and if I don't store that new position , the memory setting will be unaltered . Anything else seems daft .
You've described pretty much what happens in the current cars, Derek.

If you use the memory buttons, the seat (all settings - squab, backrest & headrest) just moves to the programmed positions. However, if you just motor the seat squab fore or aft - not using the memory buttons - then the headrest will motor up as the squab moves back, and motor down as the squab moves forwards.

Sorry, I’ve caused confusion by saying “memory seats”. I have the memory seat option and understand that the seat will move into the saved position for the 3 memory buttons, including the headrest. That makes sense.

My query is when I’m moving the seat backwards or forwards the headrest moves too. When I make the seat go backwards the headrest goes up and when I move the seat forwards the headrest goes down. Is this normal? From the above replies some are saying the is normal and some are saying it’s not.

On my W219 it was , if you are in proportion long legs = long body so the further back the seat the higher the headrest. I would imagine that MB are thinking for owners that may not so it adjusts the headrest for optimal positional safety based on the occupier not being Mike from Monsters Inc. or Mr Tall from the Mr Men.

Obviously all seating parameters can be adjusted and memorised with the mem-pack.

K

Sorry, I’ve caused confusion by saying “memory seats”. I have the memory seat option and understand that the seat will move into the saved position for the 3 memory buttons, including the headrest. That makes sense.

My query is when I’m moving the seat backwards or forwards the headrest moves too. When I make the seat go backwards the headrest goes up and when I move the seat forwards the headrest goes down. Is this normal? From the above replies some are saying the is normal and some are saying it’s not.

Yep, confusion was happening when memory was involved...

It is like st13phil described. There could be some difference between models though. I wrote wrong earlier, my W220 DIDN'T move headrest but my C219 does. And like said there is parameter in SDS no enable/disable the feature, I didn't check if W220 parameter exists but W212 in definately has.

Yep, confusion was happening when memory was involved...

It is like st13phil described. There could be some difference between models though. I wrote wrong earlier, my W220 DIDN'T move headrest but my C219 does. And like said there is parameter in SDS no enable/disable the feature, I didn't check if W220 parameter exists but W212 in definately has.

Okay, so do lots of you have SDS? I used a bluetooth dongle that plugged into the ODB port of my BMW and then a free app to code it. Looking at SDS it seems you have to buy equipment for circa £150 to do the same. Is that right or is there something similar to Bimmercode for Mercedes?

Okay, so do lots of you have SDS? I used a bluetooth dongle that plugged into the ODB port of my BMW and then a free app to code it. Looking at SDS it seems you have to buy equipment for circa £150 to do the same. Is that right or is there something similar to Bimmercode for Mercedes?

SDS works only at laptop, and had external mux device (excluding one 'model' where all are built in). It is 'factory' level diagnosis system (especially if one uses vediamo or DTS softwares which are more like 'factory developer' stuff). And unfortunately (whatever many ppl here say because they have icarsoft or autel) SDS is truly only one FULL capability system for MB.

Since discussion of chinese clones is more or less forbidden, let's not go there.

I couldn't live without my SDS 🤪 lol

SDS works only at laptop, and had external mux device (excluding one 'model' where all are built in). It is 'factory' level diagnosis system (especially if one uses vediamo or DTS softwares which are more like 'factory developer' stuff). And unfortunately (whatever many ppl here say because they have icarsoft or autel) SDS is truly only one FULL capability system for MB.

Since discussion of chinese clones is more or less forbidden, let's not go there.

I couldn't live without my SDS 🤪 lol
Thanks for this. Is it cool with you if I nip to Finland so you can stop my headrests going up and down 🤔

It must be a generational thing , both my W140 and my R129 have memory seats , and neither do this .

Perfectly normal and a more intuitive feature than you’d think.

Also, in the estate, when you go to pull the back seats down the seat will move forward to make space.

Perfectly normal and a more intuitive feature than you’d think.

Also, in the estate, when you go to pull the back seats down the seat will move forward to make space.
My 12 year old son got in the car this evening. I told him to move the seat back “a bit” so I could see past him at junctions. He moved it literally 4 inches back.... headrest is virtually touching the ceiling. I know it’s a first world problem but it’s bugging the heck out of me, lol.

Thanks for this. Is it cool with you if I nip to Finland so you can stop my headrests going up and down 🤔

Sure, you are welcome! 💻:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom