Mer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimti

Car
VW Golf
OK, I keep reading about different polishes and cleaners to use on our cars, but have never seen any mention of MER. I first saw it in Earls Court a few years ago being used with what looked like very good results, and have used it myself for a long time, it does cause a lot of dust when buffing, but otherwise the results have always been pretty good IMHO.

I am just wondering whether to change to Meguiar's or one of the other products that seem to be favoured on this site

The problem with zymol is that it is hard taking it off! Mer is so much easier! It literally takes half the time. I have a complete shelf dedicated to polishes in my garage so i know the ins and outs of each polish! I think autoglym polish does a better job than MER and zymol is better than the two but requires that extra effort to get the best out of it.

I have tried Meguiar's, but I prefer Zymol. It gives an excellent shine, a lurvely coconut smell and doesn't cost much! (its the cheap one you can buy it from Halfords, not the ones you see on their website)

Back to the old polish debate again ;)

Mer is an abrasive and I would stay away TBH.

As for the others, everyone seems to have their own favourite and mine so far is Zymol Carbon. No dust whatsoever (big selling point for me) and easy to apply and buff off even on a wet car.

ok - im a lazy sod...

whats the EASIEST polish (on and off) thatr will remove most of the swirls (not expecting perfection at all). with a bonnet my size, effort is a big concern. Also door on lhs is badly scratched (joys of living in country wiggly lanes) - so will be trying good old colour magic (dark green metallic) to hide them a bit until i get the car re-sprayed.. tried colour magic on the bonnet, and couldnt see the difference (could feel it though with a finger) - as the car is so scratched / stonechipped anyway, it doesnt realy matter if its a bit 'agressive'

guy

Guy

Try MER. It is a bit more agressive but will cut slightly as you polish, it's also easy to apply and wipe off.

Tip. Use a damp cloth or sponge to apply to the whole car, then keep going back over the car until the polish is a really smooth and thin layer. This will be easy to buff off and give a good finish.

As I am still on a high from winning the "Cleanest Car Prize" at the Summer GTG yesterday ;) .

I thought I would let you know which polish I used. It was the first time I used Meguiars new NXT Tech Wax. This was well rated on the web and I must admit it did a great job and the car looks great. I spent an hour cleaning it and polishing the vehicle the day before. It is claimed on many forums that this the the best wax on the market currently and costs just £15 per bottle.

HOWEVER, I have been tipped off that Autoglym are releasing a new product on 1st July 2004 called "Autoglym Supreme Polish", a new wax for dark Cars, I expect this will be great also.

The key thing with polishs and waxes is preparation. Autoglym Super Resin is a combined Cleaner, Polish and Wax. (You then top coat with Autoglym Gloss Protection, a sealer wax (Show cars will have multiple thin layers of Gloss Protection placed on the vehicle every few days before a show to produce a really deep gloss)). Meguiars TechWax is a Polish and Wax. These are great all in one products. Putting a good wax on poor dirty paintwork is a waste of time. To get the best finish you need to use a cleaner, then polish and finally a wax.

To check your paint is really clean run your fingers over the paint it should feel really smooth, with now bumps or roughness.

My tip for the non-perfectionist like me is just wash the car use Autoglym Super resin to sort out the paintwork, leave it one week (most of these products take 24 hours to cure properly) and then apply which ever wax/polish you want be it Zymol, Meguiars or Mer.

Or if you have a bit more time use Meguiars No9 "Swirl Remover" (a cleaner and polish). This will strip off any wax and leave it clean (You know it is wax free if you rub a terry towl on the paint and it squeaks!). Then apply your favorite wax/polish.

Final tip is invest in a Porter Cable 7424, Why? because it takes all the effort out of the above. It is polishing 100 times faster than a human hand can so a 20 minute polish with the Porter Cable is equivalent to 2000 minutes by hand! It also does it evenly, a human hand does not apply consistent pressure. You use less polish/wax etc and get a better result!! I wish I got one of these 15 years ago.

Sorry for the long post I seem to have got a bit carried away :crazy:

I have found turtle wax extreme to be very good. The bonnet on my car was very faded and applied a few coats in small circles and it brought the color back and now has a very deep shine :) Also, you can chuck it on in uneaven coats over large panels(on unfaded paint)and it buffs off leaving a very even coat. Like i say the shine is very deep and seems to last and last :)

It seems to give as good a finish as Autoglym's polish'es and lasts a lot longer.IMHO.

ps, i used to be a pro valeter and i aint found a better, easier to use polish for the money :rock:

Cheers,Stu :)

I used Mer for years until a local paint refinisher suggested I try FLASH made by Malco Products, Ohio. It contains Carnauba Wax & Zonyl (by Dupont) and just wipes on and off effortlessly leaving you with fantastic results that are long lasting. Unfortunately you can't buy it in the High Street but it should be easy enough to source. It's all I use now and I've tried them all (including all your Auto Glym's and Turtle Waxes). ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom