Merc 180 C Class 1998 Sport Sedan. Ignition or what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mec Fan

Car
Mercedes 180 Sport Sedan
I got out at a Petrol station and my Remote Fob key refused to lock my Drver's door, tried starting the car and steering wheel locked and no ignition no matter how hard I tried. AA man said car battery and fuses OK and after an hour admitted defeat and said Remte key probably de-programmed. Car had to be towed home. Since then various phone diagnosis from assorted expert, 1) Remote key needs reprogramming, 2) Ignition barrel needs changing, 3) Crank position Sensor needs fixing, 4) Electrical problems, call out Auto -Electrician - those I spoke to said not sure and try other expert. Tearing hair out, car dead in the sun and being missed, enquiries from Dealer qoutes Ignition barrel over £300, new keys over £200 then labour another £400. Don't have this sort of money right now, Is my car doomed!
Any advise appreciated while I gather torn hair from floor and remember good times with poor car. Help good people!!

With the DAS keys and central lock system this is usually the case:

One key unlocks car, but does not turn barrel - key may be faulty, try other key
Both keys unlock car but does not turn barrel - DAS (ignition lock) faulty
Neither key unlocks car but both turns barrel - remote ir receptor and/or antenna failure
Neither key unlocks car nor turns barrel - combination of above or general power error (battery dead, fuses blown, cables melted)
With the DAS keys there is no programming, and to diagnose a CPS error, the starter motor must operate (in vain) so you can rule those out directly.

Thanks so much, will be calling an Auto electrician..

Sorry to hear this. I had a similar thing recently. Leaving work, car unlocked OK with the electronic key fob I'd used for 12 years, but when I put it in the ignition, nothing at all - totally dead. Couldn't even lock the car. Fortunately I have both the second electronic key and the additional thin flat key (without the remote buttons) - both basically unused. I was able to have those brought out to me from home and hey presto, the spare electronic key worked, so all fine again. Except I no longer have a working spare electronic key.

In hindsight, there had been a few times before it died where I had had to replace the key in the ignition at least once before it was 'recognised', so perhaps those were warning signs.

There are eBay sellers who offer a repair service or repair kits for these keys at prices much lower than those you have mentioned, however I have no idea whether these would solve your problem. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom