Merc 3 pointed star

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakdor

Car
CL500 Blue Efficiency & E320 V6 estate & Range Rover Vogue
I've just bought a 2104 CL500 and miss the proper 3 pointed star on the bonnet. I've got a couple saved from other vehicles and would like to swap the button badge for the proper star. Have had a brief look but cannot see how to do the exchange. Any ideas?

Hmmm Very back to the future , 2104 CL500 Looks like MB have started building in the new planet Zoggg factory.

You might find that it can't be done without taking to the bonnet with a hole saw. - I was going to replace my flat star with the new black version, but the rear of the badge is blind (i.e. the mounting holes are only in the skin) so I decided I didn't want to try to prise it off.

Mmmmm thank you PobodY that's exactly what I suspected...I could just about see under the soundproofing that there are two pins to mount the flat badge and hold it secure... so no I will not be sawing just to satisfy my inner ego

When i swapped my blue bladge to a black 1 there was a tab at 3 and 9 o clock which you pushed together to release the badge, mine is a c class, dont know what you have on yours, but if you did have the badge i couldnt imagine it being much different

When i swapped my blue bladge to a black 1 there was a tab at 3 and 9 o clock which you pushed together to release the badge, mine is a c class, dont know what you have on yours, but if you did have the badge i couldnt imagine it being much different
That's what I was hoping for, but when I opened the bonnet I was greeted with flat metal. - Looking at the EPC it's secured with two "grommets" on the pins... I'm just not game to get a tool between the badge and the bonnet.

I was just looking to do the same and remove the flat badge from a clc to replace it. You tube shows the badge with 2 tabs to squeeze, but I cannot access the rear of it from under the bonnet to squeeze... all hidden by bonnet panel.

Surely there must be a way to replace them?!? :dk:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, that went badly. - I snapped the pin off the old badge removing it, only to discover that the pins on the new one are slightly too big to fit in the holes. :wallbash:

Well, that went badly. - I snapped the pin off the old badge removing it, only to discover that the pins on the new one are slightly too big to fit in the holes. :wallbash:

...can you chop off the new pins and stick the badge in place? 3M maybe?

I have just been and got a trim puller to hopefully have a crack at this, but it’s one of those jobs that, in the back of your mind, you know it’s going to go wrong :confused:

I think that's what I'll do. - A bit of research shows me that GLK had a similar problem when he did this swap; part of the problem is that one of the pins on the new badge is offset (so if I shaved them down, the badge isn't straight).

I think I can trim the bottom pin down, then take the top pin off. - One pin with some adhesive tape should keep it in place.

The small plastic grommets are available from MB....they are the same as the ones that hold the boot MB star in place.

The small plastic grommets are available from MB....they are the same as the ones that hold the boot MB star in place.

Cheers Woody... I’ll keep that in mind when I try

Any thoughts on these badges... original MB or an eBay knock off?
I’m thinking MB.

I wouldn't worry too much about corrosion on the flat badges, they're made of plastic; that's why it's so easy to snap them.

I wouldn't worry too much about corrosion on the flat badges, they're made of plastic; that's why it's so easy to snap them.

Ah, I thought the OP was after the gunsight.
Agreed, the flat badges make no difference.

Ah, I thought the OP was after the gunsight.
Agreed, the flat badges make no difference.

I think the OP was after the gunsight. Mine is just the flat badge. If they are entirely plastic, then I might go cheap!

Correct.....I am after the 'gunsight'.... and given what I've been reading, I'm going to leave well alone.... She's going into Mercedes for a B service this week so I'll ask the Tech and see if he's got any insight..no pun intended.....but I suspect it's not as straightforward as on the earlier models which had a proper hole but covered by the flat plastic merc star disc... will up date ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom