Merc 7 Seaters: advice on replacing W210

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

englishdas

Car
57 E200 Kompressor
As much as I love it, I feel it is time to remove the W210 from my driveway, as I now have it running so well that it's only a matter of time before I paid as much in repairs one year after buying it, than what it cost.

It has to be diesel, I do way too many miles for a petrol. unless it's a) LPG, or b) somebody knows something I don't about petrol.

Do I go for an older E-class, i.e. the bulletproof-er W124 is it? I'm quite happy to pay more than I can get a brilliant W210 just so that it's a) more reliable and b) less complicated and more suited to my happy to tinker with mechanics mind.

Or Do I get a Vaneo? They seem low priced, but almost to the point that I keep thinking of what a smarter forum member than me once said "There's nothing as expensive as a cheap mercedes)

Or do I go for a W211, or W212, hoping that my increased investment brings me reliability.

I mean, the amount of 7 seaters out there is ridiculous, but i don't want a traditional mpv, and i really have considered V70s, but feel like i just wouldn't love it like I do the Merc, The Volvo doesnt' give me the 'james may fizz'.

Advice on pitfalls or 'Go and get one of these!..." please. Oh, Budget is ten grand ish. but would increase if i need that for W211/W212. I have no idea what i can pick stuff up for or if they're so flawed it's not worth going to the cashpoint.

If you want to have a look at a 7 seat W211 estate, I'm in Doncaster if you want to have a butchers.

If you want to have a look at a 7 seat W211 estate, I'm in Doncaster if you want to have a butchers.

Thanks, Sweetpea, that'd be great. I could run over some time next week tuesday onward. Just wondered what pitfalls may await a prospective 211 owner, cos I have a tendency to fall in love with cars and i wanna get it right this time.

As you mentioned C24SPORT97, "keep it since you've spent time and money sorting it out " does sound like good advice, but me and the other half are pretty much waiting for the next thing to go wrong, and that uncertainty is not what I look for in a car. I had high hopes for the merc, and wanna stay brand-loyal, cos overall it's great, but it's too unreliable.

You just can't go wrong with late 211's. Monster reliable and good value.

You just can't go wrong with late 211's. Monster reliable and good value.
Agreed. Go for a 211 post the faclift in early 2006 (IIRC) when no less than 2,000 improvements were made. Finished in the top ten on JD Power for customer satisfaction. The 220cdi, 280cdi and 320cdi are all good to drive.

Cheers lads, was just reading that on parkers about early 211s being a bit risky.
So an 06/07 211 could be the way forward.
Thanks 4 the advice. Time 4 auto trader

Various stains and god knows what else? I especially like the purply-brown seats... maybe they're luxury seat covers.

The daft thing is, I'm in Edinburgh next monday... I might end up buying it. Imagine the bumpy odd-suspensioned ride home!!! I could have a competition with my W210, Try to beat the missus on which one is the most complete car to return to yorkshire!

I might upset a few on here with this point of view, but to compare a 124 with a 2005ish 211 is like Chalk & cheese.
I know that quite a few reckon the 124 is the last 'proper' Mercedes (whatever that means) but the 7 seat S211 E320 CDi is as near to a complete car as you could possibly get.

Space, luxury, technology, power, refinement, frugality for it's size, the list just goes on.... The car I have right now is the best I've ever owned and in a year or so I hope to replace it with a 212.

I might upset a few on here with this point of view, but to compare a 124 with a 2005ish 211 is like Chalk & cheese.
I know that quite a few reckon the 124 is the last 'proper' Mercedes (whatever that means) but the 7 seat S211 E320 CDi is as near to a complete car as you could possibly get.

Space, luxury, technology, power, refinement, frugality for it's size, the list just goes on.... The car I have right now is the best I've ever owned and in a year or so I hope to replace it with a 212.

You'll find driving, space/comfort that the 210 and 211 move the game on from the 124, particularly in driving and road holding, if not in basic build quality.

The 212 is a much better car than the 211, much better than the 211 is over the 210. The ride, noise supression, interior and handing are so much better in the 212.

The only backwards move is the seating which is substandard in the 212. I found them very uncomfortable seats. Great car to drive, noticably better road holding, steering and comfort. If the OP can get into a 212, they really must.

The 210 has loads more room on the rear facing seats that either the 211 or 212 have. The 212 estate seats do not even fold down flat:wallbash::wallbash:

My advice is to sit on the rear facing seats before buying a 211.

Hope this helps

I have no problem with any of the above^ I just like my Classics.

The 210's do as rust as do 124's. 211's - Too many expensive breakable toys on them for me.

I have no problem with any of the above^ I just like my Classics.

The 210's do as rust as do 124's. 211's - Too many expensive breakable toys on them for me.

That is what worries me, I'm just scared of the hyper-technology.

I suppose approved used is the way to go, but i don't fancy dealing with Mercedes Dealers. see below link that I'm sure we're all familiar with.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/103076-why-do-mb-dealers-treat-you-like-sh-t.html

If guys on this forum are being ignored when trying to buy a million quidsworth of fleet mercs or a 50 grand motor, what's the likelihood of me getting good service whilst trying to get something for 15 grand, that probably isn't straight outside on the forecourt.

No rush though, will keep plugging away.

Question, investigating the w211, 06 facelift. Discovered the e320cdi is the same lump as the e280cdi. Just tuned up or down.

Should I just get the 280, save on the insurance and initial buying price, and then get a remap (for economy purposes obviously.) I assume they have the same 7speed auto so itll take the extra torques... I mean better economies.
Is this a regular way of doing things for 280 drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom