Merc C220 Elegance - Modding Ideas Needed Please! Read in >>>>

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BimMerc

Hello Folks!

Recently just bought a 96' Mercedes C220 (w202) Elegance.
The car is Brilliant Silver, with black leather, auto.

I have been looking at the forum quite a lot, and I wanted some advice on modding the car. A few things on my shortlist (or wishlist!) include the following....!

It would be great if you guys could help me with finding the best place to get the bits, and prices? I am new to Merc as you can see!

1. Colour coded door handles. Whats the best way to do them? Perhaps colour code or buy the pre-painted handles from Merc?

2. Blinking door mirrors. Do I need to buy the facelift w210 mirrors complete or can I buy the shells from the w210 mirrors and fit them to my C-Class?

3. Update rear lights to 97' onwards darker clusters - how much would they be, and will they be a direct swap?

4. Update bumpers/skirts to 97' onwards facelift model. I think a few guys on here sell the parts? Or what do you guys suggest?

5. Merc APS30 or COMAND? Depends on cost really!

6. Avantgarde grille - so much info but I'm still confuzzled!! Please help, where to buy what to do! Is it easier buying the whole frame?

7. Any other mods you guys can think of that are worth me doing :) Whats the thing with the rear boot lock and handle lock blanking? :)

I hope you guys can point me in the right direction! I will take pics as I go along aswell so I can add to this site aswell - suppose it could be seen as a bit of a internet car update - with your help of course!

Thanks guys, looking forward to your replies! Top :bannana:

BimMerc

BimMerc said:
Hello Folks!
Hello! :)
BimMerc said:
1. Colour coded door handles. Whats the best way to do them? Perhaps colour code or buy the pre-painted handles from Merc?
Check out my thread from a long time ago: http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2281
BimMerc said:
2. Blinking door mirrors. Do I need to buy the facelift w210 mirrors complete or can I buy the shells from the w210 mirrors and fit them to my C-Class?
You need complete w210 facelift (2001+) mirrors, try asking the forum member MBenzNL, he always has a few in stock and some of them will be in 744 Brilliant Silver like your car.
BimMerc said:
3. Update rear lights to 97' onwards darker clusters - how much would they be, and will they be a direct swap?
Straight swap, not too expensive from a stealership, I think you're talking about £60 each side. I can find out for you if you really want :)
BimMerc said:
4. Update bumpers/skirts to 97' onwards facelift model. I think a few guys on here sell the parts? Or what do you guys suggest?
I have a set of facelift bumpers and sideskirts hanging around in my garage, but they are sport trim rather than elegance, so they have black mesh over the airdam instead of painted strips, they are monotone (891 Alexandrite Green) and they have no chrome on them, so probably not suitable. They should be about £300 second hand from a breaker for the bumpers, maybe £100 for the sideskirts. Brand new is mostly too expensive to consider.
BimMerc said:
Cost isn't really the issue here, comand isn't an easy install in the w202, APS30 is a breeze in comparison. Comand can however set you back about a grand for everything, APS30 probably less than half that.
BimMerc said:
6. Avantgarde grille - so much info but I'm still confuzzled!! Please help, where to buy what to do! Is it easier buying the whole frame?
You can buy from lots of places, I got mine from the stealership for £160 back in 2001 but you can get them from all over now. You normally only get the inner plastic shell, the outer frame is about £80 by itself I think and comes without the grill! Try searching the forum, although you should be aware that you and I are some of the rare people that can actually spell "avantgarde" correctly :rolleyes:
BimMerc said:
7. Any other mods you guys can think of that are worth me doing :) Whats the thing with the rear boot lock and handle lock blanking? :)
Just ask next time your car is in for a service, the lock covers are about 75p each but I had mine billed to servicing's account ;)

BimMerc said:
Hello Folks!

Recently just bought a 96' Mercedes C220 (w202) Elegance.
The car is Brilliant Silver, with black leather, auto.

I have been looking at the forum quite a lot, and I wanted some advice on modding the car. A few things on my shortlist (or wishlist!) include the following....!

It would be great if you guys could help me with finding the best place to get the bits, and prices? I am new to Merc as you can see!

Either way works - you will need a bodyshop to paint the front end pieces with the key-hole, sensor, whichever way you go, so you could just get the bodyshop to paint the whole lot - or buy the colour coded handles from your dealer, and just have the front end bits painted like I did. I can supply part numbers for this.

No - you need the shells, and the innards - all completely different.

Yes, they would be a direct swap - but not sure on part numbers or prices - this has been covered on the forum though.

Try V12, or MBenzNL on here on the offchance - I think Shude may still have a set of facelift bumpers going spare as well, although they will need re-spraying in Silver !

Also depends whether you are prepared to hack your dashboard apart and make it fit . . . if not, then APS is for you - otherwise, COMAND is the way to go :D

You buy the insert, and use the frame that you already have - again this is extensively covered in discussion on here - do a search for Avantgarde grille to find the main suppliers. Can also be ordered directly from the dealer, at a cost !

That's the cheapest mod of all - a few pence, apparently - ask your dealer. Lots of other mods worth doing - just depends on how much money and patience you are willing to invest - lots of good ideas on here anyway - just check out the members gallery for ideas, and let us know if you need any help.

S.

oops - seems Shude & I were thinking in parallel here !!

S.

Hi Mate :cool:
7. Any other mods you guys can think of that are worth me doing Whats the thing with the rear boot lock and handle lock blanking
Here's a thread for the Boot Lock Cover Cheapest Mod Ever - CLICK ME

Another Essential Cheap/Quick mod is the Alloy Pedals :rock:

Part Numbers - for w202 autos: About £20 for all 3 !!
A 170 300 00 04 : gas pedal
A 170 290 01 82 : brake pedal
A 230 430 00 84 : parking brake pedal

Details of this Mod - Alloy Pedal Mod - CLICK ME
More Details Here - Click Me

Good Luck - Its going to be fun watching your car change :D
Post some pics when ya can M8 :bannana:

Thanks guys! I appreciate the time and effort you put into this post! All other comments welcome! I will keep a diary of all mods done to help others on the forum aswell! Ps. I will PM you about the bumpers :)

Darker rear clusters can be bought for about £30 each (2nd hand).

I have done a HOW TO on the Avantgarde grill :)

Ooh, I also wanted to ask, what PCD / Bore / Offset alloys will fir the C-Class?
I am looking for a set of original Mercedes alloys, 16" ish :)

Thanks guys and gals :)

ps. Thanks for the info KH on the rear clusters! Any idea where I might get a set of 2nd hand ones?

Cheers Peeps :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ooh right, so does that mean any other "ET" number won't fit on the car? Sorry for being dim! I have seen some that are 16" ET 47 and some which are 51 - any ideas?

thanks guys!

Cool, they look good on your car - shes a clean one isn't she!

The wheels I have seen are off an S-Class Mercedes, 16".

I don't know what to do :crazy: help!

Speak soon guys

BimMerc

ps. if you guys get the chance, please look at my BMW which is on my website at http;//www.freewebs.com/individual

I hope to do one for the Merc too, but throughout its transformation!

BimMerc said:
Ooh right, so does that mean any other "ET" number won't fit on the car? Sorry for being dim! I have seen some that are 16" ET 47 and some which are 51 - any ideas?
the offset is proportional to the width of the rim

I think the rims I am looking at are 7.5" Wide - would that be suitable? Sorry for picking your brains!

BimMerc

BimMerc said:

BimMerc

I've just bought my avantgarde grill from ebay.de. The seller uses an online payment system which is convenient and the shipment is prompt upon clearance of payment ( around 4 business days from germany ). I've got the grill insert plus the chrome heater rings for Euro 45 (GBP 32 inc p&p). The seller is from www.matrixcar.de but trades on ebay.de,W202 Avantgarde grille , hence you could get away with lower prices than on their website.

fitted straight onto the car. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom