Merc damaged during MOT test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My thought would also be something left on the landing panel .

As DM says , they inspect various safety critical items underbonnet , including brake & fuel lines for corrosion or leaks , security of battery , body corrosion around strut tops and probably more .

Just got back from a meeting with them.
I have to take my car to a local (respected) bodyshop next Week and they are getting a dentmaster type guy (from up Scotland) to sort out the dents in the bonnet.

Hopefully that will be the end of the matter and it will be all sorted.
I will update as and when I get the car back.

Sounds all a bit matter of fact. Your obviously a very tolerant person.
But did you even get an apology?

Sounds all a bit matter of fact. Your obviously a very tolerant person.
But did you even get an apology?

On the quiet I am still very angry about the whole thing and at no point did I even get a "I'm sorry about this".
All I can say is it better be 100% back to how it was or I simply am going to elivate this to the next level.

As to me being tolerant, yes I am to a point;)

This reminds me...

Many years ago I had my 10-months old Vauxhall go back to the dealer for warranty repair.

Shortly after getting the car back, I noticed it had one brand new tyre... the grooves were deep, the colour bands were still on the tread, some soapy liquid near the rim. The new tyres was a Michelin - same as the others - which were all original as the car was under a year old.

I didn't bother going back to the dealer to ask what happened, but to this day I am not sure - had they somehow damaged the tyre and replaced it with a new one? Had they made a mistake of some sort? I guess I'll never know...

That will be the classic 'put someone else's wheel back on your car' trick

On the quiet I am still very angry about the whole thing and at no point did I even get a "I'm sorry about this".
All I can say is it better be 100% back to how it was or I simply am going to elivate this to the next level.

As to me being tolerant, yes I am to a point;)

New MOT testing place might be in order too...

It might be worth mentioning this to your insurer , telling them what the garage have arranged ( having now admitted liability in as much as they are offering this repair ) but that if this repair is not satisfactory , would your insurer be prepared to repair the car properly then recover all costs from the garage ?

If you have legal assistance with your insurance , this method saves you getting embroiled in legal wrangles with the garage . Your insurer might want to inspect car as is . Take lots of photographs too .

To check all the brake pipes and fuel pipes are not corroded and are secure and there are no general leaks, as well as checking bonnet catch security and VIN.

Was yours a trick question?

You also have to open the bonnet to insert the oil temp probe (obviously not on some MB :D) as well as do the checks mentioned by DM

New MOT testing place might be in order too...
Yep I had already decided that anyway.
I am going to link all the avi files together and put them on the internet for all to see anyway.
Its the anger in the guys face that gets me. How can someone get so angry at someone elses property.

It might be worth mentioning this to your insurer , telling them what the garage have arranged ( having now admitted liability in as much as they are offering this repair ) but that if this repair is not satisfactory , would your insurer be prepared to repair the car properly then recover all costs from the garage ?

If you have legal assistance with your insurance , this method saves you getting embroiled in legal wrangles with the garage . Your insurer might want to inspect car as is . Take lots of photographs too .

I do indeed have legal protection but have not contacted them as yet but do have a good few photos.
The place where my car is now is on their own list of approved repair centre's so cant see a problem.
Its across there as I type this & it better be perfect when I go to pick it up or I wont be happy.

How can someone get so angry at someone elses property.

It's what separates us normal Human Beings from the thickos.

Get the guy to take a closer look in your engine bay at a mystery issue you've just conjured up.

Then see if the bonnet shutting issue still occurs...

;)

Ive just collected it from the bodyshop and I can say without doubt that I am happy with the results of the repair.:thumb:
All the dents that were in the bonnet are now gone.:bannana::bannana::bannana:

The experience has left a nasty tast in my mouth and I will never be leaving my car with anyone for MOT again thats for sure.:wallbash:

I will sort the avi files out over the next few days and upload them.

At least its all sorted now but I know I will never be going back to the MOT station/garage again that damaged my car.

I know its not a new car by a long shot but it is quite a clean car considering it gets used every day and I do try my best to keep it looking that way.

Strangely enough, the C class I viewed last Sunday had the same bonnet closing problem. As the seller shut the bonnet, it popped up again - and again - and again, etc.
His mate from across the road came wandering over and advised him to check the bonnet pull inside the car, which he did, then the bonnet shut straight away.

One problem , which is common to lots of Mercedes cars , is that the 'catch' on the landing panel ( the hook in the part which protrudes up from the landing panel ) often gets very dirty over time , due to soot from vehicles in front and just general road dirt , then eventually seizes up .

I have found it necessary on quite a few cars to clean and lube this mechanism until it works properly again .

At least its all sorted now but I know I will never be going back to the MOT station/garage again that damaged my car.

I'd go back. They'll put it in bubble wrap. A new place might do the same thing to the car!

Haggle though, see how cheap they'll do it as you know, you are 'giving them another chance'

m.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom