Merc damaged during MOT test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Laters

Car
Honda CR-V
I just thought I'd post this to see what other thought I should do.
Took my C class for its MOT test on tuesday to the MOT test station I have used for last few years.
Left car with them as they said about a hour and half wait. (I went to my mates house for a brew while it was being done).
Garage is only round corner from my house anyway.

Picked car up with nice new mot cert, paid them and drove home.:D
The following day I was washing the car and noticed 4 or 5 dents in the end of the bonnet that are all along the front of the bonnet in line with the merc badge on the bonnet.:eek:

Now here's the interesting bit.
I have one of these mounted behind my rear veiw mirror.
CAR TAXI HACKNEY CAB DVR VIDEO CAMERA RECORDER CCTV | eBay
I got it for the simple reason of some of the things that happen in front of my car when driving are shocking and if anything was to happen I thought it may be usefull to have some backup to what I am saying.

Anyway I took the SD card out and reviewed the avi files.
All seemed normal till the guy shut the bonnet or I should say tried to shut the bonnet.
In all the time I have had the car (over 5 years now I think) I have never had the bonnet not close properly (as everyone who has worked on my car for me will verify).
The footage shows the guy close the bonnet, it not latch shut so he tried pushing it. Still not closed, lifted it and slammed it quite hard with his hands on the bonnet, still not shut then started banging the bonnet with the ball of his hands in a very agressive manor to try and close it.:wallbash: In the end he left it open and walked off. At that point the car must have been turned off as next file shows the bonnet shut and the rest of the test being carried out.

From the footage, the dents that can be seen and felt are exactly where his hands where during this.:(

I have to take the car back sometime in the next few days for them too look at and see what they are willing to do.

Anyone got any ideas as to what I should ask them to do about it?
I will update this thread as and when I know what they are saying what they want to do.

It is the garage that my mate (who is a mobile mechanic) uses all the time and he is the one who adviced me to take it there all those years ago and the guy is actually a mate of his so it puts my mate in a bit of a odd position too.

Show the clip to your mates pal and offer him the chance to repair/replace the damage that he's done.

If you get no joy from him, take it to his employers with your evidence.

Sorry to hear about this but at least they should get it sorted

OT: Don't know if you've seen it but there's a set of those rubber arches on eBay

Small update my mate has seen the footage and its been relayed to the owner of the place who I have to see either in morning or next week some time.

Hopefully there won't be an issue. Seriously considering buying one of those cams!

How have you got it wired up?

m.

awesome!
talk about evidence!

The camera is wired up to the switched live that feeds the radio.
I took a feed off the wire via a fuse and ran it under the trim to a hidden power socket that the power addapter (it runs on 5v) is plugged into.
Once the matter is resolved I will put a edited version on my webspace and put a link to it. Its shocking someone could treat a customers car like that. I still havent found out what was going on a bonnet opens and closes fine for me (ive tried it several times today).

Last edited:
it is easy to leave a tool on the inner wing and forget it is there when you go to close the bonnet.

See if there is any evidence of indentation along either inner wing where a spanner may have been resting.

it is easy to leave a tool on the inner wing and forget it is there when you go to close the bonnet...

Indeed - happened to me more than once :doh:

it is easy to leave a tool on the inner wing and forget it is there when you go to close the bonnet.

See if there is any evidence of indentation along either inner wing where a spanner may have been resting.

An MOT tester won't be using any tools, but possibly his helper was pulling the bonnet release as the tester was shutting the bonnet.

An insecure bonnet is an MOT fail, so the tester must have been satisfied that it actually latches OK.

Maybe they saw the camera and thought they would play a joke on you.

I had a new window fitted by AutoGlass (front one)

Got back to car and notice bonnet a bit un even, Opened it and then shut it again...the same...

Then I thought 'ooh I bet a spanner or something under their' (its happend before yrs ago with a golf I owned)

Sure enough a little screwdriver in the gap between the wing...

The guy even drove back after the job and knocked on my door asking if he had left a tool...

:)

Hope you get it sorted,

An MOT tester won't be using any tools, but possibly his helper was pulling the bonnet release as the tester was shutting the bonnet.

An insecure bonnet is an MOT fail, so the tester must have been satisfied that it actually latches OK.

Maybe they saw the camera and thought they would play a joke on you.

remind me - what's the reason for opening the bonnet on MOT ?

remind me - what's the reason for opening the bonnet on MOT ?

To check all the brake pipes and fuel pipes are not corroded and are secure and there are no general leaks, as well as checking bonnet catch security and VIN.

Was yours a trick question?

i'm just thinking what he might have in his hand and was able to leave on the inner wing - perhaps a small spotlight/torch, as it can be dark in there.

This reminds me...

Many years ago I had my 10-months old Vauxhall go back to the dealer for warranty repair.

Shortly after getting the car back, I noticed it had one brand new tyre... the grooves were deep, the colour bands were still on the tread, some soapy liquid near the rim. The new tyres was a Michelin - same as the others - which were all original as the car was under a year old.

I didn't bother going back to the dealer to ask what happened, but to this day I am not sure - had they somehow damaged the tyre and replaced it with a new one? Had they made a mistake of some sort? I guess I'll never know...

They wernt playing a joke for sure.
in fact the guy who damaged my car is the helper who happens to be the owners son with the tester being the owner.
The owner has already admitted that the helper couldnt close bonnet but it closed easily for him.
I always close the bonnet by dropping it a few inches and it latches where if you try to push it shut after closing it gently it just wont.

Camera was dead easy to setup (its menu based) and after its internal battery has charged it works superb.
The unit shuts down 4 seconds or so after ignition is turned off so last file is saved correctly to the card. For the money I paid I am more than happy.

Ooh, I would have gone straight round to the nearest solicitors. Xmas and b'day rolled in to one :)

How many other poor sods have had that done to them. And lets face it, most MOT guys are quite happy to 'nail you' if there's a few quid in work to be had, or your car doesnt meet their perfect standards.

I assume they're a special creed born without feeling or emotion anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom