Merc drivers in Gloucestershire to be the top regional high miler in the UK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tali

MB Enthusiast
Car
qashqai
"Nationwide study reveals Merc drivers in Gloucestershire to be the top regional high miler in the UK
SUVs in rural locations consistently cover long distances
Drivers in Scotland and the South West work their cars the hardest
Annual London mileage figures a quarter below average
Subaru Legacy is the overall high mileage champion
Mercedes owners based in Gloucestershire rack up almost 50% as many miles more than the average motorist, according to a study by Warranty Direct.

Cars wearing the three pointed star in the South West area are estimated to cover an average of 14,684 miles each year, 46% more than the national average of 10,076 miles and some 18% more than the average figure for Gloucestershire itself.

Elsewhere in the UK, Land Rovers prove their ‘go further’ mantra as they are the hardest-working vehicles in Hampshire, West Yorkshire, Leicestershire and Berkshire – more regions than any other car – with each registering an average mileage of over 13,000.

Overall, Subaru’s cars have the most annual mileage put on them, with an average of 13,740; the Japanese brand’s Legacy is also the highest-miling individual model.

Swedish manufacturers Volvo and Saab both were both revealed as popular choices for high milers, appearing in third and sixth place respectively, while vehicles from top-selling marques Ford and BMW clearly appeal to those who cover long distances as the brands registered 9th and 10th overall.

Cars in Scotland or the South West do the most miles in the UK, with Stirlingshire, Perthshire Gloucestershire, and Somerset all featuring in the top 10 locations for high-mileage cars.

Away from rolling hills and countryside, cars registered in London are far more likely to spend more time sat in traffic than negotiating winding roads - Londoners clocked up characteristically low mileage figure of 7,990, or 26% below average.

David Gerrans, managing director at Warranty Direct commented: “The mileage you do will dictate how quickly certain components on your car could deteriorate, as well as how long you have between service intervals.

“Naturally, some people work their cars harder than others and that means they need to be mindful of the potential for servicing and maintenance costs to rise.”

The highest mileage vehicles according to Warranty Direct data

Highest mileage by region/brand Average annual mileage
Gloucestershire – Mercedes Benz 14,684
Hampshire – Land Rover 14,076
West Yorkshire – Land Rover 13,953
Kent - Volvo 13,714
Essex - Citroen 13,667
Leicestershire – Land Rover 13,615
Merseyside - Audi 13,578
Hampshire - Volvo 13,432
Somerset - BMW 13,396
Berkshire – Land Rover 13,277
Highest mileage by region Average annual mileage
Stirlingshire 12,984
Perthshire 12,536
County Down 12,454
Gloucestershire 11,900
East Lothian 11,710
Somerset 11,707
Northumberland 11,537
Oxfordshire 11,470
Wiltshire 11,320
County Durham 11,219

Highest mileage by brand Average annual mileage
Subaru 13,740
Ssangyong 12,136
Volvo 11,663
Nissan 11,090
Volkswagen 10,899
Saab 10,884
Audi 10,873
Land Rover 10,766
Ford 10,215
BMW 10,180
Highest mileage by model Average annual mileage
Subaru Legacy 15,976
Nissan Navara 15,376
Volvo V50 13,578
Audi A8 13,546
Volvo XC60 13,250
Volvo V70 13,226
Audi A5 12,830
Volvo XC70 12,695
Volkswagen Tiguan 12,402
Audi Q7 12,321"

I'll bet 99% of these high-milers would rather have a job "just down the road" and keep their mileage much lower... Statistically, they're likely to live longer too.

Sadly, companies (particularly big ones) love to move you form one end of the countly to the other to suit their own agenda. How you get there is your problem...

I'll bet 99% of these high-milers would rather have a job "just down the road" and keep their mileage much lower... Statistically, they're likely to live longer too.

Sadly, companies (particularly big ones) love to move you form one end of the countly to the other to suit their own agenda. How you get there is your problem...

It's interesting that you mention the health issue. I spent 25 years as a high business miles driver and wonder if you meant health risk due to accident or stress?

I've found that I became less worried about other road users unless there was a real risk of collision.
I also became less stressed about punctuality where I had no control over circumstances such as traffic congestion. It helped that I usually planned to arrive early (my Mrs would agree!) so, in reality, was never that late anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom