Merc E300 W210 1998 3ltr diesel-suspension

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by AANDYY, Sep 4, 2008.

1. AANDYY

AANDYY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m
    Hello to everyone.
    Andy here, what a great site!
    The car in question has done 164K.
    This is the model I want, I understand the w124 is a 'better' car before the bean counters got involved, I understand about the rust [​IMG], I've read quite a bit, my question is on the cars I've driven and like there's only 1 problem the suspension ( I think the front) 'bangs,knocks' on bumpy roads. I read it could be just ball joints, wish bone bushes, etc.

My question is, is there much chance it could be worst, I drove three and all sound similar, I drove 7 in total.
    I understand there can be failer of the spring perch but I would think that would be fatal failer and not progressive.

I've done track rod ends and wish bones my self before (on a Mondeo), so not a problem there for me doing the work.
    So, I guess I have to work through the track rod ends, the up links, bushes etc?
    There such a great ride apart frm all the faults, LOL [​IMG]

Thank you please![​IMG]

...Andy...

2. nick mercedes

nick mercedes MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Ford Expedition
    Drop links?

Cheap and easy to do.

3. Smiley

Smiley Hardcore MB Enthusiast

If it is a slight knocking over bumps in the road then it is more likely to be just the anti roll bar bushes - very cheap and easy fix. About £10 for the set iirc.

4. OP
    OP
    AANDYY

AANDYY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E300DT-W210-1997-Elegance-Azurite Metalic Blue. (Don't mention the rust, LOL) Running on WVO. 65k m

It's always hard to wright about these noises but I wouldn't sat it was slight, mind you any noises I am aware of.
    It does sound abit more 'mechanical' definately bumps in the road linked, sounds a bit metal on metal, something worn out so metal knocking, bushes?

Kinda answered it myself then, lol :bannana: