Merc Only in Hanwell, W7 - DON'T USE THEM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vmaxjude

Car
1995 R129 SL320
Hi all. I thought I would let you know about my experience of using 'Merc Only' in Hanwell for some work on my W124 230CE soon after I got it. Unfortunately the brilliant guy I normally use (see separate thread from me today) was busy so I tried this outfit despite the travel involved, as their website seemed impressive. I needed the rear wheel bearings done and a couple of other faults, plus a new wiper blade, and when they looked at the car they advised discs and pads all round, so I had those done too. The total bill was nearly £1200. When I was called to be informed the work was done, the proprietor 'Jack', a middle aged Asian lothario with a badly dyed bouffant hairdo, told me that the ABS light had come on while they were working on the car. Naively and stupidly I accepted it and didn't ask them to investigate further. When I collected the car, they hadn't added the wiper blade to the invoice, so I pointed this out and it was added. When I looked at the blade, it didn't look like it had been changed, so I went back in to complain. The mechanic told me it had, in a rather aggressive manner as if he was challenging me to take it further. I had no evidence. A few weeks later when I got my usual mechanic to investigate the ABS fault, he discovered that the solenoid valve relay from the hydraulic pump was MISSING. He replaced it with one from a W126 SEC, and hey presto, ABS problem solved. I called Merc Only as I was extremely angry, but 'Jack' the lounge lizard just did not want to know. I am convinced this outfit took the relay (there is no other explanation, as the ABS was working fine before the car went in there) and that they also charged me for a wiper blade they did not replace. I WOULD AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

Im finding it difficult to get my head around the missing relay... I assume this is a relay that sits in the fuse box?
Doesnt make a lot of sense on the face of it.

Also how can you be sure about the wiper blade?

Im finding it difficult to get my head around the missing relay... I assume this is a relay that sits in the fuse box?
Doesnt make a lot of sense on the face of it.

Also how can you be sure about the wiper blade?

Never mind the relay and wiper blade - how does he know that Jack is a lothario ??

The said Jack is supposed to a Doctor or something? but jacked it in to start up M-O....

Never mind the relay and wiper blade - how does he know that Jack is a lothario ??

And I am sure you could tell teh difference btw a new wiper blade and an old one...:confused:

It sounds like they're running a 1970's discotheque, instead of a Mercedes garage.

What a horrible story, but I had to laugh at the description. You keep up your good work and let them keep up theirs. Hopefully they won't be in business much longer.

I find it difficult to place reliance on a review with so much obvious discrimination and condescension.

The said Jack is supposed to a Doctor or something? but jacked it in to start up M-O....

Maybe he got booted out for nicking other people's body parts while they weren't looking.

Well, I certainly didn't expect so many responses to that post...

The solenoid valve relay sits in the ABS hydraulic pump, and is essential to the operation of the ABS system. A couple of weeks before bringing the car to MO, I activated the system during an emergency stop so I know it was working fine. And the ABS warning light had never come on during normal use. The only possible explanation for the relay going missing from inside the hydraulic pump was that it was removed when the car when it was at MO. I'm open to any other suggestions!

The wiper blade had reached the end of its normal life and was not clearing the screen properly. Everyone knows when a blade has reached this point. When I took the car to MO it was quite dirty, and when I picked it up it was still dirty (MO could have given it a quick wash as I spent nearly £1200 there but I won't hold that against them) and there was a layer of dirt all over the wiper blade and arm in keeping with the dirt all over the car. A new blade would have been shiny and clean. When I tried the blade on the journey home it was as bad as before. A few days later I bought a new blade and hey presto, perfect results.

I pointed out that Jack is Asian in my post solely in order to identify him. I have worked with and know dozens of Asian guys and I have never met one called Jack. I make no insinuation against him whatsoever because he is Asian, and take offence at being accused of doing so. If I had an issue with having my car worked on by an outfit owned by an Asian man I would have taken my business elsewhere. It cost me £117.50 to have the ABS fault diagnosed and fixed (the relay used was secondhand), plus I was charged £25 + VAT for a genuine Mercedes blade that was not replaced. That's nearly £146. Plus of course another tenner for the cheap blade I had to buy. I feel I was completely shafted and I am still very angry wheneverI think about it many months later. I therefore make no apologies for making flippant and derogatory comments about Jack. He is a smarmy conman in my eyes. We Brits often get truly shoddy service and it pisses me off. Any decent businessman would have taken steps to investigate why a customer was so clearly upset at the service he had received. But Jack did not and accepted no responsibility. I think that is appalling.

If anyone wants to use MO then that is of course their choice - I am only letting everyone know of my experience of them.

Last edited:
well i live near the area..and i tried to call them but no answer....
THANX MATE.....I WONT BE RINGING THEM UP..
p.s.. they have been advertising at great west road for the last 20yrs....
wat a JOKE...

There's a highly reputable indy not two miles south east of them.......

I pointed out that Jack is Asian in my post solely in order to identify him. I have worked with and know dozens of Asian guys and I have never met one called Jack.

I know one called Jack...:)

I pointed out that Jack is Asian in my post solely in order to identify him.

I did something similar in a thread recently and the PC brigade jumped on me :doh:.

My advice is to ignore them and don't be drawn - the problem is theirs.

I think I may see the point.... there's nothing wrong in mentioning a person's persuasion when proving a description, but one should ask oneself - would the same description be used for a positive message? e.g. 'I was greatly helped by this very pleasant and polite Asian gentleman'?

This is not rhetoric... I really do think that this is the test one should apply to oneself.

(too many 'One'... oh well
biggrin.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom