Merc techs - engine swapping advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TiMopar

Car
W202 C240 ESTATE
I have a 98 c240 Sport estate which I love, but is rather lacking in the 'go' department. Consequently, I have been looking at the low price of similar aged rusty E55 saloons and am thinking of using one as an engine donor. Although I have a fair amount of experience with fabrication and engine swaps in old cars ( Rover V8/ Ford Pinto & Cosworth/ Ford & Chevrolet small-block V8s into various cars ), I have no experience with anything relatively 'modern'. So the question is; besides the engine, gearbox ECU/ Loom and the EIS, what other mysterious black boxes will I need to liberate from the donor car? Thank you in advance, and apologies to the moderators if this is not the appropriate forum.

As well as the above, the propshaft and diff will need changing and your '240 brakes won't be up to the job of stopping an E55 engine in full flow. Good luck with this, but I'd be inclined to look for a decent S210 E55 and save a mountain of work.

It might be wiser to start off with a C43 as the base car. Another possibility you could look at, is dropping in 3.2 V6 from a W210, that I'm guessing would be more straight forward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom