Merc to launch 32 new models b4 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Let’s hope that they are engineered properly and don’t end up with “features” like crabbing low speed steering, gearbox glitches, engine emission problems and faulty safety systems!

I'd still buy a diesel car from merc going by a lot of vans on the road and some cars you can taste the diesel in the air and smell it even when the vehicle has gone but with a mercedes I cannot do either so it must be clean...

While the announcement of a new lineup of MB models is welcome crucial to their success will be availability in particular their EQ and HYBRID ranges. If the EQC experience is anything to go by then model supplies may be limited by third party battery cell availability. Long delivery times from placing an order may reduce their appeal somewhat.
Mercedes-Benz cuts EQC electric SUV production target in half due to battery shortage, report says - Electrek

99-mercedes-glb-official-reveal-hero-front.jpg

Its a GLB set to replace the GLA in the small SUV market- the GLA being judged too small wrt the opposition? In judging appearance it should be remembered that practicality figures highly in this market.

99-mercedes-glb-official-reveal-hero-front.jpg

Its a GLB set to replace the GLA in the small SUV market- the GLA being judged too small wrt the opposition? In judging appearance it should be remembered that practicality figures highly in this market.

ps if its based on the Merc FWD platform its likely to prove a more profitable model than its bigger bretheren

pps the blue model pictured is likely the AMG version whose frontal treatment is clumsy to say the least

To me these vehicles all look like they are designed and built for the American market. They are just not a Mercedes and yes we had a GLE for three weeks and it just did not have that brand image. If I want an SUV, I guess it would be a Range Rover :(

The same applies to the smaller models but each to their own and much respect to those folks that own one or are looking to buy a new vehicle/

To me these vehicles all look like they are designed and built for the American market. They are just not a Mercedes and yes we had a GLE for three weeks and it just did not have that brand image. If I want an SUV, I guess it would be a Range Rover :(

The same applies to the smaller models but each to their own and much respect to those folks that own one or are looking to buy a new vehicle/
Unfortunately SUVs sell well in all markets, and so it would be very difficult for a car manufacturer to stay afloat - nevermind profitable - without being able to supply.

Porsche have two, Bentley have one, Lamborghini have one, Rolls Royce have one, Aston Martin have one, even Ferrari are planning one...

...they’ve all had to offer at least one SUV to stay in the game.

Unfortunately SUVs sell well in all markets, and so it would be very difficult for a car manufacturer to stay afloat - nevermind profitable - without being able to supply.

Porsche have two, Bentley have one, Lamborghini have one, Rolls Royce have one, Aston Martin have one, even Ferrari are planning one...

...they’ve all had to offer at least one SUV to stay in the game.
Totally agree with you and as someone once said... "There's nowt as strange as folk"

The SUV is definitely not as aerodynamic as a car (bit of a barn door) and hardly any of these SUV's will be used off-road. I both understand and respect the fact that you have an amazing SUV and all credit to you for that. I am just thinking aloud and yes Mercedes are making no end of these vehicles but me personally, if it was a choice between a GLS, the Audi or Porsche equivalent, then I would go for the Range Rover.

If we are talking SL or S-class then to me they are up there amongst the best in their price range :) Thinks SL AMG

Totally agree with you and as someone once said... "There's nowt as strange as folk"

The SUV is definitely not as aerodynamic as a car (bit of a barn door) and hardly any of these SUV's will be used off-road. I both understand and respect the fact that you have an amazing SUV and all credit to you for that. I am just thinking aloud and yes Mercedes are making no end of these vehicles but me personally, if it was a choice between a GLS, the Audi or Porsche equivalent, then I would go for the Range Rover.

If we are talking SL or S-class then to me they are up there amongst the best in their price range :) Thinks SL AMG
SUVs certainly aren’t for everyone, very much a Marmite car, and they come with some compromises which don’t make sense for those who don’t really need what an SUV is really capable of.

That said, the compromises are relatively minor these days on a modern SUV - at least compared to how things used to be - and so for some the “want” far outweighs the compromise.

We have friends who live their life on Facebook and after typing messages to each other for the benefit of everyone other than each other, the thing they mention next is having two SUVs.

Even stranger is that they don’t travel anywhere other than work - they don’t go on holiday away - they don’t have children or grandchildren, they don’t tow or go offroad. Nothing. They see them as a status symbol.

For those lwho travel a lot - especially in rural areas where the height really helps - with a car full of people, dogs, and stuff, and regularly towing, then SUVs make a lot of sense. They see them as a workhorse.

Vive la differnece!

Most of the new models seam to electric crap, i just dont get it we are being forced to buy them new from 2030, why would you voluntary want to put yourself through all that hassle and grief years before you are being forced too!

SUVs certainly aren’t for everyone, very much a Marmite car, and they come with some compromises which don’t make sense for those who don’t really need what an SUV is really capable of.

That said, the compromises are relatively minor these days on a modern SUV - at least compared to how things used to be - and so for some the “want” far outweighs the compromise.

We have friends who live their life on Facebook and after typing messages to each other for the benefit of everyone other than each other, the thing they mention next is having two SUVs.

Even stranger is that they don’t travel anywhere other than work - they don’t go on holiday away - they don’t have children or grandchildren, they don’t tow or go offroad. Nothing. They see them as a status symbol.

For those lwho travel a lot - especially in rural areas where the height really helps - with a car full of people, dogs, and stuff, and regularly towing, then SUVs make a lot of sense. They see them as a workhorse.

Vive la differnece!
Well said and most folks associate the SUV as the Chelsea tractor which never goes off-road and is never asked to tow anything. I love the AMG, I love what it represents and I really like reading your well thought outposts and would appreciate hearing why you have that excellent SUV that you look after so well.

In my heart I know that on a trip from Lands End to John O'Groats, if I were driving a 320CDi and we had someone else in a E63s AMG the times of arrival would be very similar. If I had a straight choice between driving the AMG or the CDi, it would be a no brainer. If we like the AMG, can afford the AMG then by crikey, what a car. If however we believe we can get to B from A on a public road faster solely because we have a gazzilion horse power under our right foot, then are we getting this car for the wrong reasons? :)

I would buy the AMG simply because I love the AMG and boohoo to what anyone thinks.

Well said and most folks associate the SUV as the Chelsea tractor which never goes off-road and is never asked to tow anything. I love the AMG, I love what it represents and I really like reading your well thought outposts and would appreciate hearing why you have that excellent SUV that you look after so well.

In my heart I know that on a trip from Lands End to John O'Groats, if I were driving a 320CDi and we had someone else in a E63s AMG the times of arrival would be very similar. If I had a straight choice between driving the AMG or the CDi, it would be a no brainer. If we like the AMG, can afford the AMG then by crikey, what a car. If however we believe we can get to B from A on a public road faster solely because we have a gazzilion horse power under our right foot, then are we getting this car for the wrong reasons? :)

I would buy the AMG simply because I love the AMG and boohoo to what anyone thinks.
I agree John, the decision to own or drive any AMG model for use on the road is based upon a want rather than a need, because there's no real need for what makes an AMG and AMG on UK roads. The extra performance helps when towing, but the reality is that I had no problems towing the same twin axle caravan with our first ML 270 CDi.

An AMG SUV makes even less sense, because an SUV has potential which is barely used, and AMG has potential which is similarly under-utilised, but to combine both things is even more unexplainable. Especially when you consider that being an AMG offsets some of the SUV capability, and being an SUV offsets some of the AMG capability! They make no sense!

There are all sort of reasons for wanting a fast/powerful car, like looks, sound and performance, but for me at least it’s the performance potential which has by the greatest appeal, the ability to do something but choose not to.
  • Oskar Schindler : Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't.
  • Amon Goeth : You think that's power?
  • Oskar Schindler : That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.
  • Amon Goeth : I think you are drunk.
  • Oskar Schindler : That's power, Amon. That is power.
In short power is the ability to do something but choose not to. That's what having a performance car in the U is all about.

Most of the new models seam to electric crap, i just dont get it we are being forced to buy them new from 2030, why would you voluntary want to put yourself through all that hassle and grief years before you are being forced too!
It's only really hassle and grief if the current crop of EVs don't suit you, your personal circumstances and the way you use a car. For those who's situation does fit well with an EV, then it's the complete opposite of hassle and grief - it suits them better than ICE.

I agree John, the decision to own or drive any AMG model for use on the road is based upon a want rather than a need, because there's no real need for what makes an AMG and AMG on UK roads. The extra performance helps when towing, but the reality is that I had no problems towing the same twin axle caravan with our first ML 270 CDi.

An AMG SUV makes even less sense, because an SUV has potential which is barely used, and AMG has potential which is similarly under-utilised, but to combine both things is even more unexplainable. Especially when you consider that being an AMG offsets some of the SUV capability, and being an SUV offsets some of the AMG capability! They make no sense!

There are all sort of reasons for wanting a fast/powerful car, like looks, sound and performance, but for me at least it’s the performance potential which has by the greatest appeal, the ability to do something but choose not to.
  • Oskar Schindler : Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't.
  • Amon Goeth : You think that's power?
  • Oskar Schindler : That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go.
  • Amon Goeth : I think you are drunk.
  • Oskar Schindler : That's power, Amon. That is power.
In short power is the ability to do something but choose not to. That's what having a performance car in the U is all about.
As usual Bobby you write wise words which I truly really enjoy reading.

Don't forget my last words...

'Oh shitttt!!

Apologies for the profanity but I did use to get myself into some pickles

Hey you could have bought a G-wagen although the very latest versions are perhaps a bit OTT'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom