Merc W208 vs BMW E36 Drop Tops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jit C240

Car
W202 C240
Evening Guys,

Thinking about buying a new car. My current W202 C240 is fine, however the fuel costs are getting a bit steep now. £70ish per tank full, 280 miles.

I've always wanted a convertible, so looking into either a W208 or BMW E36.

I previously owned a BMW E36 Coupe, and loved it, even though it was only a 316i.

What are your thoughts and opinions on these two drop tops? I know the BMW is a proper drivers car, and Benz is more of a cruiser.

Anyone own a W208 drop top on here? Whats it like?

I would ideally be looking at CLK200's/CLK230's and BMW 318i's.

Thanks in advance!

:devil:Go for a 55AMG, forget the fuel economy, burn rubber...listen to the noise!!!

The insurance would shred my wallet to pieces, and so would the fuel bills! How miles do you get to a tank?

I have 230 cab and get late 20's to early 30's generally.

Have seen 42 plus on a long motorway run on cruise
at 70mph.

Hope this helps

if you have a C240 currently and want to cut the fuel costs, getting either choice isnt going to help much, if at all IMO.

HOWEVER, I owned a 1999 CLK 320 Convertable and it was a really nice car. I was led to believe that anything slower than the 3.2 V6 was a nono with a cabrio, so something to consider too.

As ^ the cab is not going to be any better consumption

depends on what type of mileage you do and if its M-way as I can get over 30 mpg on motorway rund at 70mph from 320 cab.

but around town or short journeys reckon it near 19/20mpg

Stick with the W208 in my opinion and a 320 nicest reasonable engine and in good supply and cheap unfortunately! Better image than E36 IMHO!

Hi,as others have said you won't get much(if any) better fuel consumption from a cabriolet(especially as they are heavier cars),the 230k would be the best allround bet(200k a bit underpowered?),i previously had the w208 clk320 cab(3.2ltr v6 n/a engine, a lovely cruiser & lively when needed,averaged about 25mpg combined in the year or so i owned it).

I have one and love it and a friend has the BMW and I hate it. The BMW is not as well made, the interior plastics creak and rattle like a Hyundai. I get late 20s around town and can get it up to 40mpg on a run. The v6 isn't the be all and end all IMO, both are great cars. I love the kick in the back I get when stomping on it at the lights :D

If you're near Manchester then come and ave a shufty

Last edited:
i used to have the 230K and imo was the best all rounder for what i used it for, used to get around 27-30mpg

Hi,as others have said you won't get much(if any) better fuel consumption from a cabriolet(especially as they are heavier cars),the 230k would be the best allround bet(200k a bit underpowered?),i previously had the w208 clk320 cab(3.2ltr v6 n/a engine, a lovely cruiser & lively when needed,averaged about 25mpg combined in the year or so i owned it).

I have averaged 27mpg in my 320 so far so they all seem to be around the same. I had it down to 12mpg over some rather enjoyable welsh roads recently though :)

I've has 2 E36 convertibles, a 328i and a 320i. both were early cars and they creaked, post P reg they are much much better. They both used the same amount of fuel really unless abused when the 328i drank more. 32mpg + on a run, less pottering around. Both excellent to drive and ultra reliable as well apart from rusty rear brake pipes on both (petrol tank out to replace properly so check). Mother had a 318i convertible and it was very economical - problem is finding a loved one rather than a boy racered one but little not to like about them.

Never had a CLK so can't compare, but can't imagine you'd get a more economical one than your C240 unless you went the manual 4 cylinder route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom