Mercedes 1000 SEL AMG

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here is a photo of a 1000SEC I saw on Park Lane a few years back:

dsc00016i.jpg

It's a donor vehicle really, for someone looking to swap everything over to their structurally sound 560 SEL.

The boot badges alone would be worth a few bob.

There is a 1000 SL near to me . ( 2-a-penny these cars ! )

1000sel ?

Years ago I worked in Bharain, at the Aluminium smelters there, I had a 3 month contract to rewrite all of the JCL (Job Control Language) for the computer freaks amongst us and also to do a secret audit of the computer Software, Hardware and the computer room staff from the ops manager down. Now all of the Arab senior management at the company were Sheiks, and the Director of Accounting a real nice man had a the biggest Merc I had ever seen. the chauffer was always polishing the thing in the Directors garage which was situated next to us plebs; ours was under a corrugated roof open to the weather; theirs was an enclosed garage (air-conditioned) and held about 10 vehicles. Now this directors car was immaculate as you could imagine, I think it was based on a Mercedes Benz 600 Pullman, but it had been stretched about one extra doors width, probably about 4 feet. It had a driver’s door and a rear door slightly larger than normal on the same side. On the passenger’s side NO door’s; it still had the glass but the door was not there just the shape and out line, it had been welded shut. It was two tone paint a dark bottom and a white top, Black out glass all round except the windshield. I got a good butchers at this car one day, the garage door was open and the driver was doing his daily hard graft of trying very hard to polish off the paintwork, so I went in and asked if I could have a look. There was no front passengers seat but in it’s place was a T bar rising to about bottom of the side window height. The shaft was Gold and the T bar at the top was about 3 inches thick covered in suede, in the back there was just a wide seat partitioned into two very lush bucket seats, , behind the driver was a bur walnut bar with chrystal decanters and glasses, a small fridge under the pull down bar. A small TV and of course telephone; the seats although leather were like the floor covered in sheepskin. All the fittings, catches Phone cradle etc were in Gold, when I asked the driver said All the gold is solid not plate!, the Star on the bonnet all the what would normally be chrome trim was also solid gold, including the wheel covers, but not the wheels to soft for that. So why the T bar, well that was for his Falcons, apparently he had about 40 of them, so when he fancied it he would bugger off in to the interior (all of 75 klicks long) and spend a few hours hunting his falcons. The driver showed me the engine compartment, crap man it was just the same under the bonnet, no dust anywhere all the cradles for the electronics were covered in boxes to hide them and all made out of Gold including the Air filters etc. This dude had three wives and a few European birds on the side with flats in what was amusingly called petticoat towers down town Manama. Us imports were not allowed into these towers for clear reasons. The driver told me and I don’t see any reason not to believe him that the boss’s wives all had similar car’s as they were not allowed to travel in the same car together, don’t ask me why. Now Bahrain as I said was 75 kilometres long made up of several Island joined by bridges and causeways. At the widest part, the north part of the Island where everyone lived and shopped was about 25 kilometres wide. About 20 klicks out of Manama, was the industrial area, and that went for about 25 klicks further south, after that was the declared Nature Reserve, and us imports were not allowed in there unless we were accompanied by the Sheik Isa’s soldiers, I guess so we didn’t find the graves where the dissidents from Iran were made to feel at home (you understand). They found permanent employment as daisy pushers. I had a great time there, made some nice friends and earn’t a fortune £2000 a week in 1982, and believe me I spent the bugger too. So dun no if his Merc was a 1000 model or not, but it was armoured, had a small ****nal in the boot, reputedly, but it was one hell of a car. But at the time the gasoline there was cheaper than bottled water, at about 20 fills a gallon, a 1000 fills was a Dinar, and a Dinar was worth £2.00 so work it out. :dk: life aint fair is it.

Be a good chap and organise that in paragraphs would you, I'd like to read it but my 40 year old eyes need some gaps so they can track the text.

Every so often I feel like a challenge: :rolleyes:

Years ago I worked in Bahrain, at the aluminium smelters there. I had a 3-month contract to re-write all of the JCL (Job Control Language for the computer freaks amongst us) and also to do a secret audit of the computer software, hardware and the computer room staff from the ops manager down.

Now, all of the Arab senior management at the company were Sheiks, and the Director of Accounting - a really nice man - had the biggest Mercedes-Benz I had ever seen. The chauffer was always polishing the thing in the directors' garage, which was situated next to we plebs; ours was under a corrugated roof, open to the weather, while theirs was an enclosed garage (air-conditioned) and held about ten vehicles.

Now this director's car was immaculate, as you would imagine. I think it was based on a Mercedes-Benz 600 Pullman, but it had been stretched about one extra door's width, probably about 4 feet. It had a driver’s door and a rear door slightly larger than normal on the same side. On the passenger’s side, NO doors; it still had the glass but the door was not there just the shape and outline - it had been welded shut.

It was two-tone paint: a dark bottom and a white top, black-out glass all round except the windshield. I got a good butcher's at this car one day. The garage door was open and the driver was doing his daily hard graft of trying very hard to polish off the paintwork, so I went in and asked if I could have a look. There was no front passenger seat, but in its place was a T bar rising to about bottom-of-side-window height. The shaft was gold and the T bar at the top was about 3 inches thick, covered in suede.

In the back there was just a wide seat partitioned into two very lush bucket seats. Behind the driver was a burr walnut bar with crystal decanters and glasses and a small fridge under the pull-down bar. A small TV and, of course, a telephone; the seats, although leather, were - like the floor - covered in sheepskin. All the fittings, catches, phone cradle, etc were in gold. When I asked, the driver said all the gold was solid, not plate! The star on the bonnet and all trim that would normally be chrome was also solid gold, including the wheel covers, but not the wheels - gold is too soft for that.

So why the T bar? Well, that was for his falcons. Apparently he had about 40 of them, so when he fancied it he would bugger off into the Interior (all of 75 klicks long) and spend a few hours hunting his falcons.

The driver showed me the engine compartment. Crap, man, it was just the same under the bonnet; no dust anywhere, all the cradles for the electronics were covered with boxes to hide them and all made out of gold, including the air filters, etc. This dude had three wives, and a few European birds on the side with flats in what was amusingly called Petticoat Towers in downtown Manama. We imports were not allowed into these towers for clear reasons. The driver told me (and I don’t see any reason not to believe him) that the boss’s wives all had similar cars, as they were not allowed to travel in the same car together; don’t ask me why.

Now Bahrain, as I said, was 75 kilometres long, made up of several islands joined by bridges and causeways. At the widest part, the north part of the island where everyone lived and shopped was about 25 kilometres wide. About 20 klicks out of Manama was the industrial area, and that went on for about 25 klicks further south. After that was the declared nature reserve, and we imports were not allowed in there unless we were accompanied by the Sheik Isa’s soldiers, I guess so we didn’t find the graves where the dissidents from Iran were made to feel at home (you understand). They found permanent employment as daisy pushers. I had a great time there, made some nice friends and earnt a fortune £2000 a week in 1982, and believe me I spent the bugger too.

So, dunno if his Mercedes-Benz was a 1000 model or not, but it was armoured, had a small ****nal in the boot, reputedly, but it was one hell of a car. But at the time the gasoline there was cheaper than bottled water, at about 20 fils a gallon, 1000 fils was a Dinar, and a Dinar was worth £2.00, so work it out. :dk: Life ain't fair, is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom