Mercedes 190 2.5 16 & Citroen XM exterior detail in North West

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
Dieselman kindly put me on to Vince, a fellow Citroen XM owner, who does exterior detailing in his spare time via Pallas. He hails from Oldham so he came down for a weekend and did the Cosworth too. The XM had been long neglected while the Cosworth had been repainted just before I bought it.

These pics show the Cosworth before (the car is not really for sale now but it has just been featured in Mercedes Enthusiast and Classic and Sportscar). The paint is good but it was a bit flat and needed a seriously good polish, meanwhile I had done the interior and gliptoned the leather.

The colour is now absolutely glowing - it is quite extraordinary what extra depth of shine can be found. For those in the North West, Vince has my highest recommendation - he worked flat out, very skilfully and adores cars. Plus he is very reasonable! He is going to return to do my Citroen SM, which I know as a Citroen nut he would die to do.

Last edited:
The XM was in contrast not freshly painted, it is 22 years old and has not been cosseted. I bought the car as a runaround, but it had been totally mechanically restored, but really the paint was in poor condition.

A photo from the start of the job shows the bonnet condition after a wash

The weather was not quite so good for this job, and it didn't easily fit into the garage, so some less good shots:

Just a bit better

The colour is lovely now, the paint is smooth, water beads perfectly, so it just shows even a car that looks seriously past it can come up very well.

I had been busy on the interior with Meguiars

I'd also updated the hi-fi loom to fit my Becker Grand Prix (I'm not OCD - the dials were just like that by coincidence!)

Gliptone also worked wonders on the leather

Excellent work... Shame that this weather ruins the car within seconds... I have given up polishing my 190 in the winter time.

Your 190E is almost identical to mine in spec... Just that mine is Silver and I have gone for AMG monoblocks... Everything else is pretty much the same.

p.s. my right vent panel had a crack in it the same place as yours, I would get a new one from MB whilst they are still available... and quite cheap too IIRC.

Last edited:
Is this the crack Jay?

Mine isn't going to be driven now until spring. When you say identical spec it certainly is inside - matching Grand Prix Beckers!

Last edited:
Wow, I've not seen a picture of your 190 Before. It looks lovely, and a nice colour, bit different to the usual.

Very nice car and outstanding detailing work. By both of you!
Shame he isn't based closer.

beautiful 190E .. bring that to a GTG soon!

Exhaust tips and box need a detail too and then the drive would cause it to get dirty.

Am I turning into Rashman? (where is he of late?). I noticed even the clock was at quarter to three, just to make it more symmetrical!

Both cars are very good examples of understated elegance, do they share this with their owner? :rolleyes:

Excellent results.

I'll be along to Vince to sort out my swirls when time permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom