Mercedes 190 cosworth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Didn't Top Gear do a sort of three-car test with one of these, an M3 and a Sapphire Cosworth? ISTR the MB came last in almost every aspect, including the acceleration and track tests.

Using recent top gear to try and get a balanced and informative view on a car :fail:dk::D

Didn't Top Gear do a sort of three-car test with one of these, an M3 and a Sapphire Cosworth? ISTR the MB came last in almost every aspect, including the acceleration and track tests.

If I seem to recall, TG also used a E36 M3 for this test which was totally the wrong generation M3 to use for this test..... 321bhp and 6 cylinder engine and a generation newer made sure of that...

I think E30 M3 prices at the time made it a non option for the budget that was given to the three presenters.... but it also made sure they got the worst possible 16v'er lol...

I can't recall the detail, but I think May 'won' because he had paid very little for his car in comparison to the other two.

Ivan, silly though the programme was (and was intended to be...), standing-start acceleration and lap timing on all three cars under the same conditions at the same time should be a pretty fair means of comparison, surely?

I owned a Sapphire, but always wanted a E30 M3. I nearly bought a Merc Cosworth a few times over the years. Was always the wrong car for one reason or another and now I struggle to justify what a good one costs. (Because £10k plus I would put into an S6/S8)
I do think they look fantastic though.
Have had a model of an Evo 2 on my desk for nearly 20 years.

I owned a Sapphire, but always wanted a E30 M3. I nearly bought a Merc Cosworth a few times over the years. Was always the wrong car for one reason or another and now I struggle to justify what a good one costs. (Because £10k plus I would put into an S6/S8)

You need to bite the bullet, live with one as daily for a few years, do 50k over three years, which I did with my first one :D The more I drove it the better it felt, actually more importantly the better I felt! What price on that?

Try that with your 'vorsprung durch technik S' ;) as it raids your piggybank into the bargain. Admittedly the comparison is rather spurious in one sense as I can't see a comparison in the first place being truthful. Also, another monetary aspect is the 2.3/2.5-16 will only increase in value while the Audi is going off a cliff and waiting to be broken for spares as it's become too costly to fix or even to fuel up for that matter.

No model of the S6/8? :D

In a nutshell ... kind of what I was trying to say really, always liked them but not quite enough to bite the bullet at the time, would love to own one now though especially an evo 2:cool:

You need to bite the bullet, live with one as daily for a few years, do 50k over three years, which I did with my first one :D The more I drove it the better it felt, actually more importantly the better I felt! What price on that?

Try that with your 'vorsprung durch technik S' ;) as it raids your piggybank into the bargain. Admittedly the comparison is rather spurious in one sense as I can't see a comparison in the first place being truthful. Also, another monetary aspect is the 2.3/2.5-16 will only increase in value while the Audi is going off a cliff and waiting to be broken for spares as it's become too costly to fix or even to fuel up for that matter.

No model of the S6/8? :D

True ... No model of the S :) I guess the Lambo engine is calling to me but really the Lambo has a big Audi engine I suppose. Agree hard to compare ... I just have a long bucket list for different reasons. It's more about what on the list the spare cash would buy.
Truthfully at the moment I am living the film 'money pit' on a new house I have bought ... That's a priority above cars sadly. Still have 5 on the drive though at the moment! The house is bleeding me dry though stopping further serious car purchases.
I should have bought a Merc Cosworth long ago. I may still do if right one popped up. I think I would rather do a longer term restoration though now rather than pay through the nose for a good one.
At least it would feed my tinkering needs too.

4 are sheds though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom