mercedes 2011 c180 auto

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glyndawn

Car
mercedes c180
hi all

ive got a 2011 c180 auto petrol and it seems very noisey when driving it i get a wine when it is going though the gears but it is very noisey engine wise in the drivers seat

could any help

is this normal

Is this a 1.8 C180 with the 271 engine? What mileage has it done? Is it noisy on tickover?

Excuse the questions, but these are not normally noisy engines, but could be if there was a problem.

Ernie

Just a simple thought, what fuel you using? Supermarket, Shell Nitro, BP.....

......also when was it last serviced? If it's a recent purchase do have anything to state what oil was used at the last service.

You need to take it to a dealer for advice if you're concerned or listen to another similar car.

The kompressor engines whine especially from cold but I'm thinking that by 2011 a C180 had switched to a turbo.

190 said:
The kompressor engines whine especially from cold but I'm thinking that by 2011 a C180 had switched to a turbo.

That's a C180 CGI for sure. You can see the turbo. My wife has one and it sounds nothing like this. Get it to a garage ASAP. Also make sure there is oil in it. These engines should be fairly problem free!

i use shell reg fuel it is a turbo version its been back to the dealer and they say its fine ? i whould of thought a mercedes would be quiet as a mouse also every now and then when i pull up i can hear it knocking but when i put itto neutral it goes just wanted to know if its sposed be like this as im unsure

No engine should sound like a bag of nails not least a Mercedes petrol. Get a second opinion !

markjay said:
Mine is an M271 Petrol 180 Kompressor with 55k miles on the clock and it does not sound anything like that. I can't imagine that the CGI Turbo would be any worst unless there's a problem there.

The CGI is arguably smoother under load due to no supercharger whine

As it happens mines a C180 Petrol with 32,000 miles and its also noisy too. I've had mine at the dealers on their diagnostics for a software upgrade for the gearbox and they found everything to be OK too. It may just be the cold and the tappets, it sounds OK to me. My previous Honda Type R was louder when cold.

Last edited:
That looks like it is a 271 engine, not sure if its the 1.6 or 1.8 version, but it seems far too noisy to me and could have problems with the cam chain.

As others have said, get a second opinion and even get the cam covers taken off to examine the condition of the chain and gears as if the chain lets go or even jumps the teeth you could be in big trouble.

Ernie

ernie said:
That looks like it is a 271 engine, not sure if its the 1.6 or 1.8 version, but it seems far too noisy to me and could have problems with the cam chain. As others have said, get a second opinion and even get the cam covers taken off to examine the condition of the chain and gears as if the chain lets go or even jumps the teeth you could be in big trouble. Ernie

If it's 2011 will be 1.8

100% not right. Whichever garage said it was right avoid them for the rest of your car ownership. Hard to say from a YouTube video but it sounds like top end of engine. If it were me I'd be concerned about possible timing gear/chain issues especially the way it disappears after warming up. Do you get this noise re-appearing when engine is under load going up hills etc?

that is pulling up in front of our house after a 175 mile round trip down the motor way and yes it sounds to be there under load sounds very throtie like the exghust is blowing

im also using vpower petrol its goin bk in in two weeks but they say they carnt hear anything wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom