Mercedes 211, 218 Fuel Tank leaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
I don't know if the Forum would like this as a "STICKY" ??

In the USA Mercedes were informed of a Manufacture fault with there fuel tanks on the above models. inc AMG years 2003 - 2008
Usual Symptoms:

3/4 or more Fuel tank Level, strong pungent smell of fuel Vapour

This can come from the tanks leaking around the seals where the sendors/pumps sit in the tank.

From Overflow cut off vent in the centre of the Tank, the plastic elbow cracks and leaks fuel, the tank was designed with a recess just incase of leakage from the outset !!

And were mine was leaking around the rubber buffers on the top of the tank at the rear, fuel would spill over and only thing stopping it hitting the hot exhaust is the heat shields on the underside of the vehicle.

Mercedes after investigation by NHTSA extended the Manufacturers warranty from 4yrs 50k, to 15yrs unlimited mileage!

See Here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2013/INOT-EA13003-61719.pdf

Find the NHTSA reports here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2013/INRP-EA13003-61087.pdf

To Report a Vehicle to the DVSA find the form here:

Vehicle recalls and faults

In My case after spending £2,000 fitting a New genuine Fuel updated fuel tank and Fuel pumps and sendors and Supplying DVSA images of old and new items they have taken the issue up with Mercedes UK.

Please note the above will probably not help getting refunds but if will put pressure on MB to look into the problem, i dont see why us in the uk should be treated differently to USA customers as MB USA replace all above items under warranty without trouble.

MB uk will just pass you around and NOT address the issue,

Please find images of my old tank and New tank.

Duf3

New

Dufnew1

I advise anyone who has a Petrol 211 or 218 and notices a fuel smell after refuelling to check smell from nsf Wheel arch housing, Also lift up the metal inspection plates under the rear seat you may notice leaks there.

If you do find leaks Contact the DVSA with the above information, they will be very helpful.

And if anyone wants to contact myself just pm me i will be glad to try and adivse or help.

Gav/merc85

Last edited:
I've noticed similar on mine recently, due in garage on Friday for fuel pump issue so will get them to check for this too

There is a issue with fuel leaking through the electrical connector on the Pump housing Simon, Any leaks found id submit a report to the DVSA using the above leak bud.

Gav, is it def the 218 and not the 219? Seems a bit odd for it to be the previous generation E class and the 2nd generation of the CLS, or is the 218 a reference to something else, as in the number of reported leaks on 211s?

Apologies my mistake to everyone, You are correct Abb thankyou for pointing that out :rock: , 219 and 211 ( 2003-2008 years )

Reactions: Abb
One would hope that the DVSA would look at instances where in the US a manufacturer has offered lots of help to the end user (Mercedes SBC & Fuel tank) and insist on them at least offering something over here.
The sad reality though is that this probably has little or no influence on their decision.
But best ot hit them with as much info. on the problem as possible to see where it goes.

There is a issue with fuel leaking through the electrical connector on the Pump housing Simon, Any leaks found id submit a report to the DVSA using the above leak bud.
Garage inspected leak and found damp under rear seat... have logged mine with DVSA too

Garage inspected leak and found damp under rear seat... have logged mine with DVSA too

Well done Sir, Keep us posted :thumb: So far i haven't heard anything back will chase them closer to Xmas if i haven't had a reply.

Hi Peeps,

just to keep you updated, i chased the DVSA and got this reply

Mr Smith

Thank you for your email.

The manufacturer’s UK office has referred to the parent office and are awaiting a response. The Annual break for the factory has prolonged the reply and I have sent a further request for an update.

Regards

Just another Bump and reply, No real progress but at least dvsa have chased it.

Mr Smith

We have discussed this case during a recent meeting with the manufacturer.

We are advised they are still waiting a report from the factory.

DVSA has asked for a timeline on responses and our expectations are a response should be made by the 31 Aug.

I will be on leave until then and will review emails in due course on my return

Once I have further information I will advise you of the outcome..

Thank you

Regards

So we have Conclusion to this matter and MB lying but unable to prove. :(

Mr Smith

The manufacturer has responded.

In your email you refer to an action in the USA. NHTSA determined fuel could seep through micro cracks particularly the high pressure pump/internal fuel filter module on higher performance models. It is probable small pockets of fuel build up, releasing a noticeable odour. NHTSA considered the leaks did not present an unreasonable risk to vehicle safety but the manufacturer instigated a worldwide service action to check components and conduct remedial actions as determined at the time of inspection. The manufacturer confirms this action was completed on your vehicle in 2008. This may have included removal of components but DVSA is unable to confirm what, if any were disturbed or what other components, such as piping or seals were replaced.

We are aware of warranty extensions in the USA and have progressed this with the manufacturer. The manufacturer advises this extension is only available in the USA due to significant technical differences between USA and ECE spec fuel/systems. The manufacturer also confirms they do not have record of complaints relating to similar leaks as described, in the UK. A search of our database has not revealed other instances either. As such we are unable to determine a specific defect.

I note your comment on a revised breather but we do not have specific evidence of this component failing.

Having reviewed the available evidence DVSA considers it is insufficient to support further action under the Code at this time and DVSA will not be taking further action on this occasion

However, I appreciate these components are ageing and have noted this for Market Surveillance and advised the manufacturer they must inform DVSA of any further instances.

If you believe the original actions under the campaign were not correctly completed you should contact the manufacturer direct for further advice.

Thank you for contacting DVSA.

Regards

:( Hey ho id suggest anyone with a 211 Please check your fuel tanks

No surprise, it seems to be the way, just ignore the customer and babble a lot of waffle, would be good as politicians.

Do we think this is worth checking on any potential 211 E class, including diesels?
Surely on the E Class, all fuel tanks are the same design? They all have to fit in the same space.

I note this extract from the NHTSA document linked to in the original post:

"The investigation was upgraded to an Engineering Analysis (EA13-003) in March 2013 and expanded the vehicle scope of the investigation to include all E-Class vehicles in MY 2003-08. The investigation no longer focused solely on the E55 models"

I would, Trouble is diesel vapor doesn't notice as much as petrol, And is less flammable but a danger to other road uses if it leaks.

Still cant get into my head what a terrible design it was , id have thought better from MB.

To keep this in one place, are there any pieces of advice people can give me to inspect the top of the fuel tank?
How easy is it to get the carpet up? Is there a join in the carpet between the back of the seats and the start of the boot floor to make lifting the carpet easier?

I've found this thread on the forum with a bit of information on seat removal:
How do I remove the rear seat backs on an S211?

You only need to lift the Rear base of the seats up, You will then see the steel inspection covers held in place with aprox 8x 8mm bolts, undo these and remove you will then see the top of the tank.

My tank was leaking from the centre valve which you will only see from underside using a Bore scope.

My Dad’s 211 E200 had this problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom