Mercedes 211, 218 Fuel Tank leaks

Discussion in 'Engine' started by merc85, Nov 27, 2018.

1. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    I don't know if the Forum would like this as a "STICKY" ??

In the USA Mercedes were informed of a Manufacture fault with there fuel tanks on the above models. inc AMG years 2003 - 2008
    Usual Symptoms:

3/4 or more Fuel tank Level, strong pungent smell of fuel Vapour

This can come from the tanks leaking around the seals where the sendors/pumps sit in the tank.

From Overflow cut off vent in the centre of the Tank, the plastic elbow cracks and leaks fuel, the tank was designed with a recess just incase of leakage from the outset !!

And were mine was leaking around the rubber buffers on the top of the tank at the rear, fuel would spill over and only thing stopping it hitting the hot exhaust is the heat shields on the underside of the vehicle.

Mercedes after investigation by NHTSA extended the Manufacturers warranty from 4yrs 50k, to 15yrs unlimited mileage!

See Here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2013/INOT-EA13003-61719.pdf

Find the NHTSA reports here:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/inv/2013/INRP-EA13003-61087.pdf

To Report a Vehicle to the DVSA find the form here:

Vehicle recalls and faults

In My case after spending £2,000 fitting a New genuine Fuel updated fuel tank and Fuel pumps and sendors and Supplying DVSA images of old and new items they have taken the issue up with Mercedes UK.

Please note the above will probably not help getting refunds but if will put pressure on MB to look into the problem, i dont see why us in the uk should be treated differently to USA customers as MB USA replace all above items under warranty without trouble.

MB uk will just pass you around and NOT address the issue,

Please find images of my old tank and New tank.

New

I advise anyone who has a Petrol 211 or 218 and notices a fuel smell after refuelling to check smell from nsf Wheel arch housing, Also lift up the metal inspection plates under the rear seat you may notice leaks there.

If you do find leaks Contact the DVSA with the above information, they will be very helpful.

And if anyone wants to contact myself just pm me i will be glad to try and adivse or help.

Gav/merc85

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  2. Minden99

Minden99 Active Member

Car:
    W211 E55 AMG
    Merc85
    Is spot on. I too have contacted DVSA with fuel filter related issue. Cant advise people enough if you have any safety related issues use the above link to notify the DVSA. Lets make manufacturers sit up and listen.

DaveE320CDI, Vick N and merc85 like this.
  3. Simonkey7

Simonkey7 New Member

Car:
    230 CLK
    I've noticed similar on mine recently, due in garage on Friday for fuel pump issue so will get them to check for this too

merc85 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    There is a issue with fuel leaking through the electrical connector on the Pump housing Simon, Any leaks found id submit a report to the DVSA using the above leak bud.

5. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes C43 W202 Project, Mercedes ML350, Honda Fireblade RR-D
    Gav, is it def the 218 and not the 219? Seems a bit odd for it to be the previous generation E class and the 2nd generation of the CLS, or is the 218 a reference to something else, as in the number of reported leaks on 211s?

merc85 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Apologies my mistake to everyone, You are correct Abb thankyou for pointing that out :rock: , 219 and 211 ( 2003-2008 years )

Abb likes this.
  7. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, E220 Avant. W211 (and some Imps)
    One would hope that the DVSA would look at instances where in the US a manufacturer has offered lots of help to the end user (Mercedes SBC & Fuel tank) and insist on them at least offering something over here.
    The sad reality though is that this probably has little or no influence on their decision.
    But best ot hit them with as much info. on the problem as possible to see where it goes.

clk320x, bob6600 and merc85 like this.
  8. Simonkey7

Simonkey7 New Member

Car:
    230 CLK
    Garage inspected leak and found damp under rear seat... have logged mine with DVSA too

merc85 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Well done Sir, Keep us posted :thumb: So far i haven't heard anything back will chase them closer to Xmas if i haven't had a reply.