Mercedes 229.51 ‘lube-cube’

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
You need to connect to STAR via the plug on the bottom......

Oil in a wine box, whatever next. I presume it's a collapsible bladder inside so there is no need to let air in.

I think I prefer the conventional 20L container not least because I like to give the thing a good shake just in case any additives have settled out over the 3 years it will take to use it all up. Shaking isn't going to work well without some air space.

Seems quite convenient, actually....

I buy and use the VAG equivalent from TPS, they have been doing them a couple of years now.
They are relatively clean to use, easy to pop on a worktop to fill your desired amount into a gallon tub.
I can’t help but think when I’m destroying the empty thing down to component form to put in the recycling bin that the 20L tubs were probably easier to recycle though.

They are a PITA!

But cheap.

I decided to make a small hole in the top and pump it into 4 x 5L containers for convenience in future.
Naturally, most of my lovely new oil ended up on my driveway.

You may be less ADHD than me, but if you can get it in 4 x 5L containers already and for not much more, I'd say it would be worth it.

I decided to make a small hole in the top and pump it into 4 x 5L containers for convenience in future.
Naturally, most of my lovely new oil ended up on my driveway.
Why didn’t you use the tap?

I guess it's a move to stop using plastic for containers.

I guess it's a move to stop using plastic for containers.
Just use it to make the bladder inside... ;)
Still, I guess there's less to recycle, if it is recyclable of course..

Is there an obvious down side to a lube cube in that it can't easily be used to hold old oil. Whatever container I buy new oil in will eventually get filled with old oil and taken to the recycling centre. With an electrical pump my old oil goes straight from the engine into an empty oil container.

Pour the old oil away at the recycling centre, and keep the empty can/s you currently have to use again?

Or use empty containers from other stuff (eg screenwash) - it’s not like you need a brand new container each time to pour old oil into? :)

Only downsides I can think of with these cubes is that whether it holds 20L or 5L after using a load it will still take up the same room in your shed/garage, where as if you had 4x 5L cans you’d have less to store after using each can. And how easy is it to get the oil from the tap into the filler of your engine - can you attach a tube or something?

The OP asked:-
"Why didn't you use the tap?"

......there's a Tap????
Well there is on the box in the photo....

I couldn't believe i would have missed it, and sure enough, I didn't....no tap on my one.

But the oil stains on the drive are fading now.....

I couldn't believe i would have missed it, and sure enough, I didn't....no tap on my one.

I'll have to check mine as I assumed that it had a tap. I'm still using the older plastic 20L so hadn't looked closely at it. My concern with them is the risk of puncturing as my outer box casing was split on delivery, leaving the plastic bag exposed. The potential for messy delivery vans. I much prefer the older plastic containers.

This arrived today.

Incredibly practical, just put on a worktop and fill up containers using the tap. :)

The 5L bottles are easily filled.

£3/L 229.51 from MB delivered I’m not complaining :)

This arrived today.

Incredibly practical, just put on a worktop and fill up containers using the tap. :)

The 5L bottles are easily filled.

£3/L 229.51 from MB delivered I’m not complaining :)
You can start a business servicing cars now :D

...and expect to be told-off for not using 229.52 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom