Mercedes 230 Engine failure (1975)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndrewK2685

Car
Mercedes 230
Hello everyone!

I have a question about an old Mercedes 230 (year 1975):

I was using this car until december 2012, when I stop using it and immobiled it in a parking.
Recently I wanted to move it, so I attempted to start it up. Initially the engine slowly
tried to start up (sounded like it made 3-4 rounds), until it was completely off. So, I
suspected that the car needed a new battery. However, when I pluged in the new battery
and tried to startup, the engine was not responding at all (not even the slow rounds like before -
I'm also afraid if any fuses got burned during this startup) and does not respond since.

Someone expert that have seen it, told me that most probably the engine is stuck and has to be changed.
I want to ask you if there is something that I can do, in order to restore its function
(I think that since it initially started up slowly, the problem might be something minor that can be solved)

For example, I think a change of lubricants and oils would help, or application of WD40 first (can this be done?)
Someone also told me to check the fuel and air pumps, as well as the filters and the carburettor.
Finally, some guys suggest lightly heat up the engine from the outside.

What do you think of it? Can you suggest me something that I can do in order to start it up?

Thank you very much!!

Remove the spark plugs and see if it will turn over either by hand or on the starter.

You might have a bad ground of a duff starter. As others have said, try turning the engine at the crank. Not sure on the 230 engine but for most MB's of the era, a deep 27mm socket and a long 1/2 inch extension is what you'll need to get to the crank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom