Mercedes 250d DPF Regeneration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MSG2004

Car
GLE, AMG Line
Hi
My car is a 2016 GLE/Amg line 250d. FSHMB. Just over 15k miles. Driven gently. Last two years many short drives to local shops and back 1/2 mile up and 1/2 back.

DPF regeneration the Audis I think have a warning light that goes orange that tells you that a manual regen is required. So most people will run the car at 40mph plus for 20/40 mins and all
is well.

Is there any warning on my car, not noted anything.
There is chatter about the C class having something like the Audi,
but I did not look deeply into it.

Many thanks as always.

No messages or warnings that DPF regen is taking place, just higher tickover, hot smell from under drivers door area and the heat

Give it a good thrash for an hour and youll smell burning paint .

I’ve got an E250 and I’ve never noticed it doing it and there’s no light or anything to tell you it’s doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the others have said, there are no visual signs or lights to tell you if a re-gen is needed or is happening.

I think what the OP is asking is if you only do short journeys and the regen process doesn’t have chance to start, is there a warning telling you that you need to drive x amount of miles over a certain speed so the regen can take place.

RR have a similar warning as do Audi apparently.

Or walk the 10 minutes / half mile...

That said, i appreciate there may be a legitimate reason for such a short drive...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what the OP is asking is if you only do short journeys and the regen process doesn’t have chance to start, is there a warning telling you that you need to drive x amount of miles over a certain speed so the regen can take place.

RR have a similar warning as do Audi apparently.

Thanks, exactly what I meant.

About the comments of me buying a petrol car next times, possibly. But I'm not rich and when I bought my brand new GLE in 2016, I could not afford to spend more than 50k in cash. The petrol version was/is, I think close to 80k, so I could not afford this as I'm not made of money and having taken early retirement at a tad over 50.

Thanks all.

I find it hard to believe MB charge £30k more for a petrol engine.....

I find it hard to believe MB charge £30k more for a petrol engine.....
I would hazard a guess that, at the time, the only decent petrol model on offer was the ‘63 AMG.

Just go for a long run in 2-3 gear with high revs and maximum speed and it will remove the soot on the A roads or motorways. Otherwise call Mercedes or RAC for them to do the regeneration. This needs to happen on A Roads or motorways. If you are doing more city driving the filter gets contaminated really quickly. Best to go On motorways or A roads to clear it out on a weekly basis.

You don't need to be running high revs in low gears for a DPF regeneration. It will regenerate sat in traffic as long as the temperature and other conditions are met.

A good run out every 300 or so miles for around 20-30 minutes will suffice. That can be in town or on an open road, doesn't really make a difference.

This high revs, open road requirement is long passed.

This high revs, open road requirement is long passed.

Yes, and if you stop before the regen it's finished, it will start again next time you're out. Only sign I can see on mine is a faint burning smell and heat when you open the drivers door.

I forced my uncles E220d to regen with the iCarsoft MB2.0 and the instruction is to drive for at least 30 minutes without exceeding 30mph during the cycle and ensuring the engine oil temperature is greater than 35C. His DPF filter is 400% polluted and needs replacement because the car never managed to do a cycle in years as he drives maximum 8 miles in busy roads (even though i forced it to regen and it dropped to 16% for a while). Dont worry about yours, his car is missing a CDI module firmware update because he never visits Mercedes - plus its an older model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom