Mercedes 280SL Automatic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
Spotted a black 1971/72 K plate one of these today in North Kent.

Anyone from here?

Looked remarkably well kept as it floated passed me.

No pictures I'm afraid as my phone is not capable.

Sorry, it was an SEL, not SL.

And it is black.

Someone posted a link to one based in Jersey recently and I just spotted it in my eBay recent searches - just so happens it looks exactly the same except the number plates.

That will be quite a rare car here since the SEL was not marketed in the UK , only the SE , and would have to have either been imported or special ordered .

Hi, I'm new here. Was it a black 280SE possibly ? I imported one to North Kent some time back and had to sell it :(

I now wonder whether the OP meant a W108 or a W116 , since a K plate could just have been either a late UK registered W108 or a very early W116 ( especially an early LHD one on an age related plate ) .

I wouldn't have had a clue which W it was but after comparing those two - it was definitely a W108.

This is the eBay one I was referring to and it was identical at the back (except with UK plates ending in K and no GBJ sticker):

Mercedes - Benz 280SEL Classic Merc 1971 - Vietnamese Embassy car | eBay

It also definitely had an L on the badge (which is why I recalled it as SL forgetting there was an E as well - it's only because of the eBay picture above that I remembered!).

Well, it was a W108 but a 280SE!

I think the underlining made me think it had an L.

Lovely car.

Not sure if you are still active on this forum stackedheadlite... is this the one you imported?

Last edited:
Saw this car again today on the A2.

Still looking rather splendid - anyone on here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom