Mercedes 320 CLK 2001 W208 Soft top not working

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mal320CLK

Car
320 CLK 2001 W208
During winter my 320 CLK 2001 W208 was parked up and the battery went flat. Since charging my battery the soft top has not worked properly, it was working perfectly before the battery issue. I have taken it to 3 different Merc Independents and none have diagnosed the problem as no error codes are coming up so I was informed! Although the roof comes up and down but the control unit seems to get confused was what I was told. The rear headrests which double up as roll bars won't go up or down probably related to the problem for sure. Today I took the car out for a drive and tried the roof, to my surprise it came down as it did not previously but won't close now!! Any help appreciated as the whole situation is very frustrating!!!

You can close it manually, but you’ll need to be able to open the boot with the key to do it. It’s common for the lock to be stuck but wd40 and patience will get it going. There’s a tool in the kit for operating the roof manually. Plenty of video guides, save me typing a lot.
As to what’s broken, there are quite a few things, but fault codes is your first guide. Limit switch faults are common, but it might be worth checking the pump relay first, based on the fact that it’s intermittent.
I have seen a few failed control modules lately. It seems the may be reaching that age. I changed a faulty one recently and my electronics repair guy muttered something about leaky capacitors. I have the faulty unit I’m going to drop over to him soon.

During winter my 320 CLK 2001 W208 was parked up and the battery went flat. Since charging my battery the soft top has not worked properly, it was working perfectly before the battery issue. I have taken it to 3 different Merc Independents and none have diagnosed the problem as no error codes are coming up so I was informed! Although the roof comes up and down but the control unit seems to get confused was what I was told. The rear headrests which double up as roll bars won't go up or down probably related to the problem for sure. Today I took the car out for a drive and tried the roof, to my surprise it came down as it did not previously but won't close now!! Any help appreciated as the whole situation is very frustrating!!!
Hope you managed to sort this out I've got exactly the same car. I know the roof goes down ok as bloke demonstrated it but for the life of me can't work it out. It's there any way you could post an idiots guide to getting the top down please? In return I am happy to send you the mercs WIS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom