Mercedes a class 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wouldn't they want a car that's not been built in Germany then, and if not, why not?

Just being nosey...
Maybe not. I think the built in Germany tag is a big sales feature. And engines and drive train should be designed and built by MB -not bought in as BMW did with some MINI versions. Who would want a BMW without a BMW engine?

Maybe not. I think the built in Germany tag is a big sales feature. And engines and drive train should be designed and built by MB -not bought in as BMW did with some MINI versions. Who would want a BMW without a BMW engine?

The PSA designed engines in the MINI are the best small sub-1.6 engines on the market IMO, and would be absouletely ideal for a car like the A-Class. I don't think your average person would really care about such part sharing as its not something you can actually see.

Take the PSA 1.6 HDI engine for example, it can be found in Citroens, Fords, Peugeots, Mazdas, MINIs, Suzukis and Volvos. Fits in all size cars too, from the C2 up to the S80.

I don't think your average person would really care about such part sharing as its not something you can actually see.

I agree. Visible quality impresses Joe Bloggs who simply sits in the showroom car and presses all the buttons.
Even for the engine most people just lift the bonnet to look at the large plastic cover with the OEM logo.

Last edited:
Country of Origin

Got to say this thread goes to one of my pet hates-the lack of transparency in country of origin of many products on sale to the British public. How many times do you pick up an article now which says MADE FOR ----------- followed by the name and address of the company marketing the product----- NOT the country where its made-------why so coy?? In all probability its China but who knows. I'm surprised this is even legal under EEC regulations.:devil::devil::devil:

Anyway back on topic. Western based European car manufacturing in the former Eastern block has, in the main, been a great success with factories turning out reliable well screwed together cars.:thumb: It would appear the workers in these countries are keen to manufacture a good product which helps the economic development of their country and gives them undreamed of personal reward.:bannana: This will change of course as economic prosperity grows :doh: but for now the cheaper labour rates are very attractive for western Europe manufacturers.:)
The worst example of Mercedes Benz doing this must be the W203 C class saloons sold in the UK being made in South Africa :mad: -----I'd wager the bulk of C class buyers in the UK were blissfully ignorant of the fact the they were buying a "German" car made on another continent in a different hemisphere!:eek: Was this ever mentioned in the glossy brochure I wonder??:rolleyes:

If I buy a Mercedes for its "German engineering pedigree" I want to know who screwed together and where. :dk:That in itself allows me to make a personal judgement [ biased or otherwise :eek:] as to whether its worth the money they are asking for it or not. After all its my money and I think I am entitled to know exactly what I am paying for.;)

If I buy a Mercedes for its "German engineering pedigree" I want to know who screwed together and where. :dk:That in itself allows me to make a personal judgement [ biased or otherwise :eek:] as to whether its worth the money they are asking for it or not. After all its my money and I think I am entitled to know exactly what I am paying for.;)

I absolutely agree. Why on earth would I want to pay MB prices if it is not an MB engine at the very least. And preferably made in Germany too.

I really don't follow the 'made in Germany' line. German workers are just he same as any others, except work less and get paid more.
Quite probably most of the assembly line workers are either Polish or Turkish anyway and quality is no better than any other manufacturers cars.

At one time, and it may still be the case now, the Sunderland Nissan factory was turning out the best made Nissan's Worldwide. So would people rather have a British build Micra or a Japanese built one.?

It's a bit like the VW Polo and Skoda Fabia. People think they are buying German quality when buying the VW...Not so, they are built in the same Check factory from the same parts.
It's a similar story for the Citroen C1, Peugeot whatever and Toyota Aygo. No doubt the Toyota badge means Japanese quality and reliability for some...:eek:

i dont give a monkeys where stuff is made, as long as it is well designed, properly engineered and built to high quality.

i dont give a monkeys where stuff is made, as long as it is well designed, properly engineered and built to high quality.

On face value where a car is made and by whom should make no difference---but it can. For starters many of the components tyres/batteries/brakes are sourced locally. Even production techniques can vary slightly- there was an issue with how door skins were finished off on the South African C class for example leading to early corrosion. There was a spate of early SA battery failures also. The American built M class had US sourced brakes the Austrian plant assembled ones had Brembos AFAIK I sure lots of Brits will buy the next Micra possibly with the idea they will be doing their bit to support British industry--wrong--- the next generation of Micra will not be built in the UK. :confused: Would I take a British built Micra or a Japanese one? Japanese one please :eek:-- there's probably no difference :dk:--but that's just me. ;)

Have a look at J D Power and you will see the relaibilty of most Japanese cars has slipped a lot. Civic 38th! Perhaps wnere they are being made has made a difference.

More to the point why should one pay Mercedes prices if -heaven forbid- one day they just fit a Peugeot engine and build them in Bulgaria. Its goodbye from me if they do.

I absolutely agree. Why on earth would I want to pay MB prices if it is not an MB engine at the very least.

I would much rather have the PSA/BMW built 1.6 than the Mercedes built 1.5 in the A-Class. The fact it was Mercedes built means nothing to me, the PSA/BMW engine is simply better so therefor its the one I would rather have.

And preferably made in Germany too.
Agree with you on that :thumb:

Have a look at J D Power and you will see the relaibilty of most Japanese cars has slipped a lot. Civic 38th! Perhaps where they are being made has made a difference.

UK Civics and CRV's are manufactured in Swindon AFAIK so not really "Japanese made" goes to my arguement perhaps??;) If you want a "Japanese made" Japanese model then you have to look for a Honda Accord,European spec Subaru Legacy ,Mazda 6 etc. :thumb: these manufacturers all have American plants :eek:but due to the Japanese having RHD like us we still get some models that are made in Japan.:cool:

Despite saying this I am not against manufacturers building cars in other countries than where their brand name originates, just as long as they are transparent and up front about where their cars are actually made. Call me old fashioned but if I was walking into an MB showroom today to buy a CLC I want to know its made in Brazil not Germany. :eek: This knowledge might further alert me that its based on the older W203 chassis and not the current W204 despite having a W204 style nose recently grafted on.:doh: Like I said ---- transparency!:thumb:

Cars like the Yaris make me laugh, people say they are reliable because they are japanese when actually they are built in France!

I heard some of the c-class production might come to the usa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom