Mercedes A Class W176 Exhaust Flap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henriut

Car
Mercedes A Class
Hi,

I’ve have Mercedes Stoke-on-Trent run diagnostics, they finally found the fault on my A200Cdi

There’s a flap in the exhaust system that’s failed shut, and they’ve basically said it’s a new exhaust system. £801.06

The cars only done 34,000 miles.

Does anyone know if they can be replaced separately or cut out?

Many thanks for any info...
Henri

I have replaced a few of these now, and yes they come as a complete rear section of exhaust.
Last one I changed last week was on a 2015 CLA and the exhaust cost £260+vat from Mercedes and about £30 for the clamp.
It’s a doddle to fit, just measure and cut the existing exhaust carefully.
The ones I have changed fail due the the flap seizing and sticking.
3b76049b568a0ec488d75f2f99d21594.jpg
22a34701b9ebc65cf55bec9866ee5a57.jpg

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows the part number for the exhaust flap.

I’ve searched google and came up with this A0009061201

Many thanks again

Try this diagram
EXHAUST SYSTEM FOR FOUR-CYLINDER DIESEL VEHICLES MERCEDES A-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)
the part that corresponds to that part no A0009061201 is the valve actuator-- the entire valve has a different part no and consists of valve + spring+actuator- unfortunately it now appears to be welded into the exhaust itself not clamped. The actuator can be bought on its own- the mechanism seems simple it has a spring return= normally closed/open?? SOME PICS

Held on with three bolts and engages with the valve flap with the two slotted arms witha return spring in there somewhere. Electrically there's motor actuation and position feedback- if the valve seized/spring broke that would be flaggged as a position fault or the motor might burn out--- you might be able to free the valve and replace the actuator if faulty but it might seize again.
s-l640.jpg

2017-W117-MERCEDES-CLA-Boysen-Exhaust-Pressure-Valve.jpg

If you consult the pierburg link I posted earlier there looks to be the following connections
  1. Sensor power supply (+5V)
  2. Sensor signal output
  3. Sensor earth
  4. Engine power supply DC-
  5. Engine power supply DC+

schema%20-%20Rozm%C4%9Bry%2C%20rozvr%C5%BEen%C3%AD%20zd%C3%AD%C5%99ek%20a%20diagram%20kabel%C5%AF.jpg

B49218000068.140724.png

Last edited:
I have replaced a few of these now, and yes they come as a complete rear section of exhaust.
Last one I changed last week was on a 2015 CLA and the exhaust cost £260+vat from Mercedes and about £30 for the clamp.

Hi I have this fault with a GLA 220 (156 type).

The factory fit exhaust is one continuous length from the very rear to just upstream of the cat.

So am I right in thinking Mercedes spare parts options differ from the factory fit, in as much as they give you the chance to buy just the back section or just the cat section for example?

And hence is this why a cut of the existing pipe is required and the clamp to join the 2 sections?

And is that literally all that is needed? does the clamp alone form a gas tight fit through mechanical means or is something else required, like an assembly paste?

BTW. Benz spare are quoting £350 in vat for rear section and clamp.

p.s. I think my flap actuator failed through rust fatigue, leading to the 'spring to pipe' weld breaking and then the actuator has most probably carried on attempting to work before burning itself out.
With the failure not become detected until the fault monitor module picked up a loss of signal or failure in the actuator.

Grateful for any advice you have to offer.

Hi I have this fault with a GLA 220 (156 type).

The factory fit exhaust is one continuous length from the very rear to just upstream of the cat.

So am I right in thinking Mercedes spare parts options differ from the factory fit, in as much as they give you the chance to buy just the back section or just the cat section for example?

And hence is this why a cut of the existing pipe is required and the clamp to join the 2 sections?

And is that literally all that is needed? does the clamp alone form a gas tight fit through mechanical means or is something else required, like an assembly paste?

BTW. Benz spare are quoting £350 in vat for rear section and clamp.

p.s. I think my flap actuator failed through rust fatigue, leading to the 'spring to pipe' weld breaking and then the actuator has most probably carried on attempting to work before burning itself out.
With the failure not become detected until the fault monitor module picked up a loss of signal or failure in the actuator.

Grateful for any advice you have to offer.
Hi. answers are:
yes,
yes,
and yes.
the clamp makes a good gas-tight seal as used on various cars from the factory.
most of these I have changed have either seized or corroded like yours.
beware the exhaust tailpipe tips don't like being removed to swap over, give them a good soak in WD or the bolts will likely snap.

Hi mate, sorry to jump on an old thread - new member and couldn't directly message you.

My 2014 A200 CDI had thrown up a P2454 fault, changed the DPF pressure sensor (or exhaust pressure sensor depending on where you read) which has turned off the EML and the code cleared.

However, today I got a P13c2 Exhaust Flaps Malfunction show.

Am I right in thinking I would need the entire back section replacing to fix? As per your original reply. If so, would I need to have my car up on a ramp to replace or is this something I could get done on axle stands?

I had a look at my existing exhaust today, It seems to have two clamps already, I'll attach a picture, does this suggest that the back section has been replaced previously?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Attachments

• IMG_1298.PNG
    IMG_1298.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1299.PNG
    IMG_1299.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Hi mate, sorry to jump on an old thread - new member and couldn't directly message you.

My 2014 A200 CDI had thrown up a P2454 fault, changed the DPF pressure sensor (or exhaust pressure sensor depending on where you read) which has turned off the EML and the code cleared.

However, today I got a P13c2 Exhaust Flaps Malfunction show.

Am I right in thinking I would need the entire back section replacing to fix? As per your original reply. If so, would I need to have my car up on a ramp to replace or is this something I could get done on axle stands?

I had a look at my existing exhaust today, It seems to have two clamps already, I'll attach a picture, does this suggest that the back section has been replaced previously?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
it could of been cut and joined for a few different reasons. certainly doesn't look very young. yes you could do this on axle stands no problem

Did mine on axle stands. See pics.

Also, if you do have to cut the pipe in situ ( and removing clamps to remove a section isn't an option ) then invest in an exhaust cutter gizmo. See pictures. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do the job without one.

Search Google or eBay for something like "Exhaust Pipe Cutter Multi Wheel Chain Lock-grip Pliers Tube Wrench Tool"

Attachments

• IMG_2956.JPEG
    IMG_2956.JPEG
    537 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot (173).png
    Screenshot (173).png
    911.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot (174).png
    Screenshot (174).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
I have the same problem, first the car goes into limp mode which clears if left for a while unused, then the engine warning light will come on orange.
My mechanic had a look and diagnosed the exhaust flaps were getting stuck.
I was going to do a back box delete on my car in the future just for a better sound, would this also clear the problem or is it further down the pipe and still need replacing?
I presume even though its a known error Mercedes still won't fix it on my 2016 car under warranty repair?

Hi have you got the part number for this rear exhaust section please?

Also, if you do have to cut the pipe in situ ( and removing clamps to remove a section isn't an option ) then invest in an exhaust cutter gizmo. See pictures. I certainly wouldn't have been able to do the job without one.

Search Google or eBay for something like "Exhaust Pipe Cutter Multi Wheel Chain Lock-grip Pliers Tube Wrench Tool"
Hi, did you buy just the exhaust flap section and cut the old one out and replace with the new one? Do you have the part number on that section please?

What does the exhaust valve do out of interest, provide more torque at lower revs, noise emissions?

Hi mate, I know this is an old thread now.

Can I ask, how to you manage to order just the flap on its own? When I contacted them they've said its definitely the complete back section of the exhaust only.

Which model is your car?

Many thanks!

What about labor charge?

Hi cheddar, I have this issue. My diagnostics for my merc a200 came back and the issue is do so with exhaust flap in DPF section seized. The mechanic said that unless I could find someone who can buy flap part and cuts off the exhaust it will cost a lot of money and isn’t worth fixing. Could you explain more on this issue and suggest what to do next? Thank you

Hi cheddar, I have this issue. My diagnostics for my merc a200 came back and the issue is do so with exhaust flap in DPF section seized. The mechanic said that unless I could find someone who can buy flap part and cuts off the exhaust it will cost a lot of money and isn’t worth fixing. Could you explain more on this issue and suggest what to do next? Thank you
When you mention ‘ the ones I have changed fail’ is it worth fixing this way? Or completely replace?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom