Mercedes a140 vs Fiat Panda Insurance????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc85

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 500
Please please, We need help

My daughter is learning to drive, We are getting insurance quotes.

A140 1.4 2004 insurance group 10 (my wifes) although Daughter will be Policy holder on a Provisional

Price £370 per year fully comp

Fiat Panda 1.1 2003 group 1 !

Price £468! ?? yet this is a lower group ? i dont understand??

How can a group 10 car be more expensive than a group 1 with everything else being the same.

Risk profile. The Panda may be a lower group but insurance companies will calculate premiums based upon risk, not just the group, so that probably means that they see the Panda as riskier proposition than an A-Class.

Risk profile. The Panda may be a lower group but insurance companies will calculate premiums based upon risk, not just the group, so that probably means that they see the Panda as riskier proposition than an A-Class.

Thankyou for the reply and i understand, But surly thats how they group the cars in the 1st place?? :dk: i dont ...

Basically If after she passes a A class is cheaper to insure we would like to do that.

And the another way should the Panda be cheaper. What we dont want to do is Give the A class to her, then After she pases it turns out more expensive than the Panda doh....

Thankyou for the reply and i understand, But surly thats how they group the cars in the 1st place?? :dk: i dont ...

Basically If after she passes a A class is cheaper to insure we would like to do that.

And the another way should the Panda be cheaper. What we dont want to do is Give the A class to her, then After she pases it turns out more expensive than the Panda doh....

Get some quotes online using a price comparison site. Just edit to the details to make it seem as if she has already passed and has been driving for 0 months, see which one comes out cheaper and get an idea. You could always get temporary provisional insurance on the car she is learning in, which may work out cheaper than that £3-400.

Get some quotes online using a price comparison site. Just edit to the details to make it seem as if she has already passed and has been driving for 0 months, see which one comes out cheaper and get an idea. You could always get temporary provisional insurance on the car she is learning in, which may work out cheaper than that £3-400.

Done!!

Result Panda £1,007

Merc a140 £1095!

So its not much riskier after she pases her test:dk: lolol

Last edited:
Before test= inexperienced driver SUPERVISED :thumb:
After test= inexperienced driver UNSUPERVISED :eek:
Big difference in driver risk profile ;)

Just as another option - have you considered a multi-car policy such as offered by Admiral? My own children started driving 3 years ago (17 and 19 at the time). I went and bought a 2008 Fiesta 1.4 (peach of a car with a/c, leather etc. but that's another story). This is registered to me but all others in the house are named drivers and do also accumulate their own NCB (important). Had to move the full NCB from my own car to the Fiesta which then was about £500 to insure with both on a full licence. So 3 cars on the same policy. All gone swimmingly so far with zero claims, touch wood...

All our cars on on the Fleet insurance, But its restricted to anyone over 25 years of age.

I can add her but its ££££££ss

Before test= inexperienced driver SUPERVISED :thumb:
After test= inexperienced driver UNSUPERVISED :eek:
Big difference in driver risk profile ;)

This is more or less what my daughter was told when first insuring her car.
Its gone up now she has passed her test.

Thatcham assign insurance groups to new cars (in the UK) based upon the ease/cost of repairs and security, but I t doesn't take into account the likelihood or cost actual claims based upon usage.

Insurers have lots of data which it will use to work out how likely the combination of driver and vehicle are to have an accident, and how likely it is to be damaged or stolen based upon where it's kept.

Insurance group is a useful comparison but not as useful as actual quotes.

It's possible it's more expensive to repair the occupants of the panda after a smash, hence the higher premium

Just as another option - have you considered a multi-car policy such as offered by Admiral? My own children started driving 3 years ago (17 and 19 at the time). I went and bought a 2008 Fiesta 1.4 (peach of a car with a/c, leather etc. but that's another story). This is registered to me but all others in the house are named drivers and do also accumulate their own NCB (important). Had to move the full NCB from my own car to the Fiesta which then was about £500 to insure with both on a full licence. So 3 cars on the same policy. All gone swimmingly so far with zero claims, touch wood...

Admiral is what we did for our 17 year old on her 1.0 Corsa
And they are about matching quotes on mine and Mrs Fabes QQ, so that they join during the next few months.....

We used marmalade then admiral learner insurance to add the learners to our car, monthly policy and doesn't affect NCD if they crash it.

Once passed we found admiral cheapest for the older (19) yr old daughter on a 51 plate scenic (£800 ish) and smart wheels (with telematic) for the younger (17 yr old) on the fiat 500 at £1100 ish

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

A car's insurance group is fixed, but the risk changes based on driver, location and that car in that location.

If I bought 100 low insurance group cars and crashed them all in one postcode, the group isn't going to change, but trying to insure that car in that area will go up in price.

Thatcham assign insurance groups to new cars (in the UK) based upon the ease/cost of repairs and security, but I t doesn't take into account the likelihood or cost actual claims based upon usage.

IME the insurance group has had no apparent bearing on the insurance prices we have been quoted or paid for our cars over the last 10+ years.

I don't even look at the insurance group when looking at cars any more.

My feeling is that a 'sensible' car with ESP (or equivalent) as standard has a lower risk profile. This distorts the insurance on the likes of a MB which has ESP as standard vs a 'normal' car which does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom