Mercedes A150 Oil Leak?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhavick28

Car
Mercedes
Hi,

I've got a Mercedes A150 W169 manual and the cars got an oil leak, whenever i leave the car overnight there's a few drips of oil on the floor the next day. I was wondering if there's any common places that these particular cars leak oil from that i should l check? I've got some car ramps at home so i don't mind checking.

Thanks

Have you checked the sump plug/washer, IIRC, the W169 undertrays don't cover the sump, so it would simply drop onto the ground. Is it engine oil or could it be coolant? If you have ramps, I'd just put it on the ramps and have a quick look.

Have you checked the sump plug/washer, IIRC, the W169 undertrays don't cover the sump, so it would simply drop onto the ground. Is it engine oil or could it be coolant? If you have ramps, I'd just put it on the ramps and have a quick look.

To be fair I've never been under the car so this is gonna be the first time for me. It's definitely oil because we took the car for an MOT recently and they told us it's leaking oil but they weren't able to tell us where it's coming from as they said they would need to have a proper look which makes sense. Am not sure if you know but is it easy to remove w169 undertray? Is it bolts that hold it up and if so do you know what size socket i would need please?

Thanks

I can't remember the number of bolts off the top of my head but it isn't very difficult. Probably 8 or 10mm socket, sorry, haven't done it for quite a while.

It might be worth checking the oil filter housing; it's between the engine and bulkhead on the driver's side (if RHD), there should be an 'O'- ring fitted on the inside of the 'cap'. From memory, it's a 27mm socket to remove the cap/filter (but I'm not 100% sure on the size) and should be torqued to about 25-26Nm.

I can't remember the number of bolts off the top of my head but it isn't very difficult. Probably 8 or 10mm socket, sorry, haven't done it for quite a while.

It might be worth checking the oil filter housing; it's between the engine and bulkhead on the driver's side (if RHD), there should be an 'O'- ring fitted on the inside of the 'cap'. From memory, it's a 27mm socket to remove the cap/filter (but I'm not 100% sure on the size) and should be torqued to about 25-26Nm.

The car is due for a service soon which am gonna be carrying out myself so checking the oil filter housing as you suggested makes sense. I just hope it's not a big job to fix this oil leak as the cars been a money pit already so am hoping for an easy fix, thanks so much for your help anyway i really appreciate it!

Without wishing to teach granny to suck eggs, if you're doing it yourself you might want to fit a new sump plug as well as the washer. They don't cost much and at least you'll know it's new. Unfortunately, not everybody replaces the old washer which can be a cause of leaks.

Without wishing to teach granny to suck eggs, if you're doing it yourself you might want to fit a new sump plug as well as the washer. They don't cost much and at least you'll know it's new. Unfortunately, not everybody replaces the old washer which can be a cause of leaks.

Appreciate the advice am definitely getting the car on the ramps next week sometime to have a quick look, if it is the sump plug i'll be really happy lol. I would of thought the sump plug would be replaced as part of carrying out a service as that's what i did when i serviced my MK4 Golf. Just trying to get hold of a full service kit for my A150 at the moment, there's a couple of sellers on eBay doing em, is there a better place for Mercedes owners to get there service kit from that you know of?

Thanks

The sump plug doesn’t need to be replaced every time. I have performed many oil changes and I have only changed the copper washer.

I would only consider changing the plug if it has been damaged.

As I save in labour costs, I get my service parts from the dealership.

The sump plug doesn’t need to be replaced every time. I have performed many oil changes and I have only changed the copper washer.

I would only consider changing the plug if it has been damaged.

As I save in labour costs, I get my service parts from the dealership.

Thanks I've just contacted my local Mercedes dealership hopefully they can sort me out!

Re service items, it depends what you want. For genuine parts Mercedes Newcastle have an online ebay shop and their prices are fairly competitive. Others do similar, ie IIRC MB Hull. Edinburgh & Perth used to do likewise but I'm not sure if they still do.

Otherwise, if I was sourcing filters etc from elsewhere I'd stick with reputable brands such as Mann, Hengst etc (Hengst are definitely original eqpt suppliers to MB and I think Mann either were or are ), available from local motor factors or places such as Eurocarparts or GSF, both of whom normally have some sort of sale offer on to reduce their inflated pre-sale prices back to roughly where they should be in the first place.

Oil should be MB 229.3 spec for a petrol 150.

If you're replacing the pollen filter (in front of windscreen wipers, just unclip the plastic cover), make sure you clear the drain at the base of the housing as they can block with leaves and water then finds its way into the car). Worth doing even if not changing the filter if you don't know when last done. It's just a short rubber outlet that drains into the engine bay.

Plugs are do-able but access, to at least one, is fiddly and IIRC is best done from underneath.

Re service items, it depends what you want. For genuine parts Mercedes Newcastle have an online ebay shop and their prices are fairly competitive. Others do similar, ie IIRC MB Hull. Edinburgh & Perth used to do likewise but I'm not sure if they still do.

Otherwise, if I was sourcing filters etc from elsewhere I'd stick with reputable brands such as Mann, Hengst etc (Hengst are definitely original eqpt suppliers to MB and I think Mann either were or are ), available from local motor factors or places such as Eurocarparts or GSF, both of whom normally have some sort of sale offer on to reduce their inflated pre-sale prices back to roughly where they should be in the first place.

Oil should be MB 229.3 spec for a petrol 150.

If you're replacing the pollen filter (in front of windscreen wipers, just unclip the plastic cover), make sure you clear the drain at the base of the housing as they can block with leaves and water then finds its way into the car). Worth doing even if not changing the filter if you don't know when last done. It's just a short rubber outlet that drains into the engine bay.

Plugs are do-able but access, to at least one, is fiddly and IIRC is best done from underneath.

Thanks for the info really appreciate it, I've already contacted Mercedes Newcastle i just gave them my reg and there gonna check what they've got. Funny you should mention cleaning the drain hole i just did it about two weeks ago mine was gunked up with all sorts of crap, good job i cleaned it out the last thing i want is water getting in to the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom