Mercedes A150 (W169) Struggling to Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhavick28

Car
Mercedes
Hi,

I've got a Mercedes A150 (W169) manual which is struggling to start, the car feels like it's struggling to even crank it feels like the car has no power what's so ever. Bearing in mind i just took the car for a fairly long drive and it was fine, it was after i left it parked up and tried starting it again that this started happening. I recently had a brand new battery fitted and the starter motor was changed not that long ago either. The car does have a misfiring issue because it feels like the car struggles slightly when under acceleration and it makes an unusual sound, not sure if these two issues are related.

If anyone can offer any assistance I would really appreciate it as this cars driving me mad!

Thanks

From all your past post, I still think you are chasing an electrical issue or battery drain issue as iv said before

If it was me before assuming anything or changing parts would get a drain test done on electrical system

Door lock can be an intermetant drain, as can command, boot lock, central light unit, front sam(that you've had water damage) ect

A low battery cause all kinds of issue

Problem is if it intermetant it's a nightmare to find

Ps fitting a new battery will mask issue for a time, till what ever fault you have kills it, I did not find my drain, killed my vitara battery dead n 6 months, now on new one

They symptoms I had from low battery were so bizzar

Have you had it plugged into a computer and had any error codes looked into first? That would be my first port of call.

Thanks for the replies i appreciate it, yes the car has been scanned and no faults came up. A friend of mine had a snap on diagnostic tool that we used but no faults were shown. It is definitely an intermittent starting issue because since yesterday it seems to be starting fine now. I think like Tezz said something is draining the battery but what that is i don't know. The earth wire seems ok.

If it is a drain, you will need a clamp meter to find, even then if its intermetant it a nightmare

On my car I had 2 rear boot handle switch stopped system going to sleep, other was my radio comand unit, again stoped system sleeping

I've now replaced both , no more drain, but due to constantly draing battery it died in 6 months

Take a step back dont look for big issues, make a note of small clues, intermetant door open messages, locks not working even if happens just once, , dose radio turn its self off, pull fuse for radio for a week ect

But would start with testing and see how many amps it draws when asleep

Without seeing car all of issue you have had are electrical, you may have fixed the water issue from pollen filter but this was after your issues started, it would have leaked water all down heater, resistor, fuse box and sam ect

Low battery voltage my car when from hard to start allway upto close encounters level of flashing warnings it's so sensitive to battery issues

My last issue on car was alternator pully, before it broke idle was a bit eratic, I paid it no mind, but could have been changing sensors, maf ect

You need to determine ya electrical system is ok

Tezz

Last edited:
A misfire would log on your diagnostic history. I don't know how good the snap on diagnostics are but I would certainly try an alternative of you have access to one.
I would put a multimeter across your battery an note voltage off/ignition on and under cranking.
Who changed the starter? It's a pain of a job. The shroud on mine collapsed. I'm guessing from being forced in due to access. It always turned over badly until I sorted it properly.
It's possible you have debris in the ball housing of the gearbox. This could cause the funny noise and resistance against the flywheel causing a misfire feeling?
Check out my posts for pics off you want a better understanding of the process off changing it.
Good luck
T

A misfire would log on your diagnostic history. I don't know how good the snap on diagnostics are but I would certainly try an alternative of you have access to one.
I would put a multimeter across your battery an note voltage off/ignition on and under cranking.
Who changed the starter? It's a pain of a job. The shroud on mine collapsed. I'm guessing from being forced in due to access. It always turned over badly until I sorted it properly.
It's possible you have debris in the ball housing of the gearbox. This could cause the funny noise and resistance against the flywheel causing a misfire feeling?
Check out my posts for pics off you want a better understanding of the process off changing it.
Good luck
T
Bell housing* excuse spellings! Auto corrected on my phone 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom