Mercedes A45 AMG vs Honda Civic Type R Drag Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be fair, I own a Honda and race it, if I had a choice between the 2 cars it would be the A45, it's not as focused as the Honda and easier to live with day to day, not taking it away from the Honda though it's there first attempt in the hot hatch turbo scene and they've done an admirable job.

It's very much horses for courses. If I was younger I think I'd want the Honda.

I've had a passenger ride in a new typer, It was very, very good at getting the power down but you could feel how hard it was working to do so.

That said TLGPs bore me. I could train a chimp to win to a drag race. Handling is more important.

It's very much horses for courses. If I was younger I think I'd want the Honda.

Exactly John, I think this is true for me as well. In my 20s I would have loved the Honda.

Now days I couldn't be without an auto.

Exactly John, I think this is true for me as well. In my 20s I would have loved the Honda.

Now days I couldn't be without an auto.

Indeed. I'm a big auto fan myself and the truth be told it's the only option for a daily driver imo.

Type R engines are dire!

Dunno about the the turbo engine in the current Type R, but the Honda F20C in my S2000 was by far the most exciting engine in any car I've driven to date.

Hitting vTEC at over 6000rpm, then trying to change up just before the rev limiter at over 9000rpm is a challenge I still miss enormously.

The M152 and M177 in the cars I've had are good engines, but just too lazy to be really exciting (except the noise).

RR

Not all Honda engines are that bad, the V6 used in the NSX is pretty engaging, the B18 used in the early DC2 Integra Type R needs to be driven to get the best, true drivers car too.
I'm running a hybrid, 2 ltr crank from a CRV, B18 block from an ITR, mated together with some other parts (turbo) equates to 9500rpm red line, 400+ft/lb torque and somewhere between 500/600 bhp, all wrapped in a shell weighing approx 1000kgs, it's hardly dire :)
The Atom is a little special with the 2 ltr iVTEC and more so when they bolt up a supercharger.
Anyway, it's all much of a muchness but you can't escape the R range of Honda engines need work to get the best out of them but they are usually mated to a great chassis, that said, I would still have the A45 as a daily over the Honda.

I wouldn't say there is such a thing as 'bad' Honda engine.

The sweetest four pot engine cars I've ever owned and there has been many including BMW's & Merc's just to mention a couple were Honda's - Preludes and Accords. And almost a year into a stop/start search for a Accord Type R, I still can't think of a nicer sub N/A 2.2L engine with close on 100bhp/tonne. Oh yeah, I've never had an engine mechanical failure of any description on all my previous and current Hondas and that wasn't for lack of driving. .

Last edited:
Dunno about the the turbo engine in the current Type R, but the Honda F20C in my S2000 was by far the most exciting engine in any car I've driven to date.

Hitting vTEC at over 6000rpm, then trying to change up just before the rev limiter at over 9000rpm is a challenge I still miss enormously.

I wouldn't worry too much from a guy who has a diesel Mercedes and feels the need to call it a AMG sport. :D

I had a EP3 and DC5 and the engines are fantastic. 250bhp is easily achievable with quality bolt on's. Impressive for a N/A 2 Litre especially when were talking 15 years ago.

Two Honda engines I haven't broken as yet. The one in my Atom and the one in my lawnmower. Pretty bullet proof. :D

I wouldn't worry too much from a guy who has a diesel Mercedes and feels the need to call it a AMG sport. :D

I had a EP3 and DC5 and the engines are fantastic. 250bhp is easily achievable with quality bolt on's. Impressive for a N/A 2 Litre especially when were talking 15 years ago.

:thumb::thumb:I couldn't agree more (also ex EP3 owner). Such an epic engine, at 100 bhp/litre for a N/A which just loved to be revved 8000+rpm and always felt bullet proof. It always felt like it revved from 1000 to 8000rpm in the same time other 2 litre engines take to get from 1000 to 4500rpm. At first, I thought the tacho readings on the dial was wrong because the needle flicked through so quickly.

:thumb::thumb:I couldn't agree more (also ex EP3 owner). Such an epic engine, at 100 bhp/litre for a N/A which just loved to be revved 8000+rpm and always felt bullet proof. It always felt like it revved from 1000 to 8000rpm in the same time other 2 litre engines take to get from 1000 to 4500rpm. At first, I thought the tacho readings on the dial was wrong because the needle flicked through so quickly.

A rather timely article on PH.

PH's eight great Hondas | PistonHeads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom