Mercedes Alustyle bicycle carriers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bozmandb9

Car
Mercedes E350 AvantGarde 2005
Hi Guys,

I've become a bit of a cycling nut over the past year. Been mainly using my wife's VW whenever I need to carry bikes, but would like to be able to use my E-class. I have the opportunity to pick up roofbars and alustyle bike carriers, does anybody have these? Are they any good?

Of course I understand Mercedes products are going to be of a high standard, so perhaps I should be clearer. My current cycle carriers are annoying for the following reasons.

1. Difficult to mount bikes - need to get bike up there, move bike backwards and to one side to allow support up, adjust support lots, clamp frame, then attach wheels.

2. Safety concerns - the arm of the mount is secured by a nut and bolt which I discovered had come alarmingly loose on a long journey.

3. Security - my current bike carriers have none really, I understand the Mercedes ones are much better in this respect.

Finally, if two cycles are mounted, is there space for a load box?

Thanks in advance,

David

To be honest, I would go down the Thule Aero Bar option as the quality is there with them.

Also, 2 bikes, you maybe able to get a half width roof box if you mount the bikes front to rear.

Just check roof load weights.

My preferred option is my towbar 4 bike mount rack then a full size roof box if needed!

Useful feedback, I have Thule Aerobars for the VW, the weakness is the cycle carriers, which are Halfords. I was going to replace with the Thule 591 cycle carriers, which appear to be the best. But now I have the option to get roofbars for my E-class, plus the cycle carriers, for less than one Thule 591 carrier, with locks etc.

I'm thinking if I can take two bikes, plus a narrow roof box, we can take my car on holiday instead of the VW, which will be wonderful!

Useful feedback, I have Thule Aerobars for the VW, the weakness is the cycle carriers, which are Halfords. I was going to replace with the Thule 591 cycle carriers, which appear to be the best. But now I have the option to get roofbars for my E-class, plus the cycle carriers, for less than one Thule 591 carrier, with locks etc.

I'm thinking if I can take two bikes, plus a narrow roof box, we can take my car on holiday instead of the VW, which will be wonderful!

I see - from a security point of view, not sure on the value of your bike, but mine is never left on the roof or rear rack if someone is not in the car. Bikes can be pulled off them if you try hard enough worst case, someone comes along with big bolt croppers and just cuts the aero bars and lift the bike off attached!!

If the prices work for the MERC OEM products, i dont see why you should not go down that route. Downside to a touring / estate is that the rails tend to be a bit narrow than on a saloon on some cars....

If the car is a long termer, is a detachable towbar not an option ?

example photo
waogoh.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, very helpful.

Yes, the tow bar plus 4 bike rack would be ideal, but not practical at the moment for £££ reasons.

My car is a saloon, so I guess will potentially have more space on the bars. What you've illustrated below, is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically I have an LPG conversion, and it's great except for the range. I took it skiing last year, and it was sublime, apart from stopping every 250 miles for LPG. So I'd like to put an additional tank in the boot, at the expense of some boot space.

I'm thinking a narrow roof box will more than make up for the lost space, and in the summer, I'll be able to take two bikes too. Might even be able to get three bikes or a medium box up there (subject to load limits of course).

P.S. I totally agree on security. Only really leave the bikes briefly in busy motorway service areas and try to keep it within sight at all times. I think the locks would be only a very slight deterrent.

The Mercedes kit was updated a few years ago, and the later style is well worth getting as they have a better mechanism for mounting the bike racks to the roof bars. The easiest way to tell if you're buying the newer style is that there is NO lock on the bike carrier, only on the roof bars.

With both the older and newer bike racks, you mount the bike to the carrier on the ground, and then lift it all on to the roof bars. Once in place the are hand screws which clamp the bike carrier on to the roof bars.

On the newer roof bars, the only built security are locks on the roof bars. If you need additional security then you just need to pop a standard bike lock on. Not the most secure, but if you just need to slow down a thief whilst you nip to the loo then it's enough.

I have four bike racks for our roof bars, but I've never tried them with a roof box. I wouldn't be surprised if two bikes and a half-width roof box would fit on an E-class, but it would be tight though.

I think I'm getting the older style. Sounds great that you mount the bike to the carrier on the ground. I used to have a 4 x 4, and mounting four bikes to the cross bar cycle carriers was a workout in itself! Shame I won't have the easier clamping system.

What I'm thinking is, maybe mount a full sized roof box for the trip to the alps for skiing, and a small one plus two bikes to the South of France for summer.

The older bike carriers have an on board lock. Make sure you get the keys. I bought some from eBay years ago, without the keys! Grrr.

I read that one Bobby, these come with the keys (apparently!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom