Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 champions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 113659

A massive congratulations to the Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team for taking their 2nd successive constructors title today in Sochi.

A great achievement by the whole team. :thumb:

It's up to the rest to make 2016 a closer battle.

Ant.

It's up to the rest to make 2016 a closer battle.

Sadly it's up to the regulations rather the "rest".

I am a huge F1 fan, or have been, but I'm very disillusioned with this season and the way the sport is going.

No one can make anything more of 2016, Mercedes AMG procession has been created by very restrictive rules that don't really allow anyone to effectively make any inroads on their dominance.

I am a huge F1 fan, or have been, but I'm very disillusioned with this season and the way the sport is going.

No one can make anything more of 2016, Mercedes AMG procession has been created by very restrictive rules that don't really allow anyone to effectively make any inroads on their dominance.

Totally agree with you on all counts. One only has to look at my beloved McLaren with Honda. Testing restrictions making it impossible to develop their underperforming power unit.

Hopefully Ferrari can give Mercs a run next year until McHonda get up to speed.

Ant.

Not watched a race in two years for that reason. Electric motors belong in washing machines not F1 cars it changes the driving technique too much resulting in the processions currently seen

Not watched a race in two years for that reason. Electric motors belong in washing machines not F1 cars it changes the driving technique too much resulting in the processions currently seen

Yes. I watch race-re runs from 2004 era with screaming 3litre V10's running over 20,000 rpm. The good old days.

Mind you, F1 history has a habit of producing processions. The Schui Years were awful. And RBR years of Seb had some bad times too.

However, F1 has always led the why in new technology to find its way onto our road cars. Like or loathe the Hybrid concept it'll find its way into our auto lives in the future.

Ant

Last edited by a moderator:

Totally agree.

The bizarre things is - that as regards the development lockout freezing the competition and the fallacy of the reduction in costs by forcing new engine development - then anybody with half a brain could see it coming.

F1 as a business is obese. The teams are too large. The cars are too complex. The new tracks are dull as ditchwater. The cars are too technical to drive.

test of F1's health is simple:

(1) The number of would be new entrants queuing to get in
(2) The number of different teams and drivers winning races and the distribution of points.
(3) The number of decent circuits introduced vs omitted decent circuits.

I think it fails on all counts.

There's an inherent inability to make all that collective brainpower work as regards regulations. There is a total failure of control of costs. There is a failure to distribute the income properly.

But worse.

Judging by the creepy images of Putin getting in his personal appearance pre-podium with the top 3 drivers at Sochi this year and last year I can't help feel that F1 will sell out to anybody willing to pay to host a GP - and that if Idi Amin or Saddam Hussein were still about and willing to stump up the cash they'd be just as welcome backstage.

Last edited:
However, F1 has always led the why in new technology to find its way onto our road cars. Like or loathe the Hybrid concept it'll find its way into our auto lives in the future.

Reality check.

F1 has just about zero relevance to road cars.

The 'Hybrid concept' has been about in road cars you can buy with no influence from F1 for almost two decades.

The Toyota Prius and Honda Insight go back to the early 2000s.

As far as hybrid goes it's Road cars that have transferred relevance to F1.

I have been, still am a F1 fan, yes it's evolved, yes some of the governance has hindered some teams.

Overall I still enjoy it and even with Mercedes dominance, it's fun to see what the other teams are up to and think about their potential.

I have to admit to a momentary queasyness to see Bernie cosying up to ol "Vlad the Impaler" He had better watch his step however since ol Vlad is currently bombing the Sunni side [ no pun intended] in Syria. That's the same Sunni sympathetic/governed Bahrain and Abu Dahbi that host a couple of his Grand Prix venues if I am not mistaken ?

Reality check.

F1 has just about zero relevance to road cars.

The 'Hybrid concept' has been about in road cars you can buy with no influence from F1 for almost two decades.

The Toyota Prius and Honda Insight go back to the early 2000s.

Totally agree with this F1 have flipped the other way, what can we incorporate from road cars to F1 to keep Joe Public Interested. Well they got it wrong with Hybrid technology. I love Hybrid technology and its perfect for the road but useless on the track. If I wanted that I would watch Formula E. Nothing has come from the F1 circus to road cars for the last 20 years the technology has gone the other way because of F1 stupid rules and regs meaning you can't even try anything new.

Time for Bernie to go and the whole F1 circus overhauled before it dies a death completely

Last edited:
I was surprised to see Putin in the drivers room, it has always been a place for them to chill for a few moments after the strain of the race, it made me feel a bit uneasy, and not just because it was Putin.

The theory is that the millions of Dollars available to F1 cars' R&D will still lead to rapid development of the technology, i.e. even if it was seen on road cars before embraced by F1.

...but I agree there's no guaranty it will actually catch on for F1 cars. BMW won a few races with a Diesel powered 5-series some years back, and yet to date Diesel failed to make its mark on car racing as a whole.

I chuckled when Lewis shook Putins, then wiped his sweaty hair, then shook the ladies hand. She then wiped get hand on her coat.

I chuckled when Lewis shook Putins, then wiped his sweaty hair, then shook the ladies hand. She then wiped get hand on her coat.
I assume she was an interpreter and Lewis probably inadvertent breached etiquette by deigning to shake her hand thus elevating her status temporarily to that equal to Putin- normally a big mistake when dealing with a power crazed ex KGB megalomaniac but being potential F1 World Champion you get away with stuff like that- at least in front of the cameras. :rolleyes:

So what halo effect, do you think, if any, MB winning the F1 title has on your perceptions of the cars you buy? For me it does have a slight positive effect on my AMG experience - it makes the brand seem more credible regarding its sporting credentials and I'm a big F1 and Lewis fan so happy days for me.

... McLaren with Honda. Testing restrictions making it impossible to develop their underperforming power unit.

The Honda situation is little to do with lack of testing.

Honda refuse to allow outside help and employ people that know how to build these new power units, as they only recruit internally.

Well done to Merc F1 AMG team, and hopefully Lewis will win at least another two world titles in addition to the three he will have at end of this season.

Having spent a lifetime hooked on F1 watching live and on TV. I now have stopped unless I have nothing better to do (very rare). When the sound went, the passion went with it. Motorsport is about the noise and the excitement. Can you imagine watching a Spitfire if it sounded like a wet fart? You know the result before the race so no anticipation. You also know that Maldonado will crash, Lewis will be uber depressed if he comes anywhere apart from 1st. No Murray Walker passion is another downer for me.

Standing at Dingle Dell, thinking my ears would bleed, watching cars fly and the gorgeous smell of burnt oil & fuel. Heaven. All gone now. You get a vague whiff of hairdryer fumes accompanied by the sound of wet fart.

When the sound went, the passion went with it. Motorsport is about the noise and the excitement.

The engines are loud enough now, where previously you needed to wear earplugs to avoid damage for life to your hearing which breached health and safety laws in my opinion.

The Honda situation is little to do with lack of testing.

Honda refuse to allow outside help and employ people that know how to build these new power units, as they only recruit internally.

Well done to Merc F1 AMG team, and hopefully Lewis will win at least another two world titles in addition to the three he will have at end of this season.

That may well be the case, however even if they had a Merc beating engine now sat on the test bed, they couldn't implement it, test it or even attach it to a car due to regulations.

So whoever has the best engine in Australia basically wins the season. There not enough wiggle room for anyone else to catch up.

You turn the TV on, you know Hamilton is going to win, Rosberg will either break down or be pushed off the track into second and everyone else there is making up the numbers.

It's become lame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom