Mercedes at the Nürburgring - AMGs and a very RARE Oldtimer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
This week I attended a track day on the famous Nürburgring Nordschleife.
I travelled over on the Monday, leaving Tuesday free to spectate an event going on before my track day on Wednesday.
Among the many, many cars seen during the trip, I spotted many a Mercedes. Snapping away, I thought I share these Mecedes-related photos with you all on here :)

On Tuesday, I had to go to the near-by town of Cochem and I passed by a Mercedes dealership which had the brand new CLS sitting outside. I've never seen on before, so thought I get a quick photo. Lovely looking things, IMO.
IMG_6914.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

IMG_6916.jpg

After Cochem, I headed for the 'Ring to spectate the event, where I saw this CLK Black Series with modified boot spoiler and front splitter.
DSCN6783.jpg

DSCN6786.jpg

DSCN6785.jpg

In the car park, I spy a lovely C63 AMG estate:
DSCN6824.jpg

And then a rare GLK with full Lorinser body modifications. It also had Lorinser wheels and exhaust and looked to have been lowered. I don't know what engine it had, or whether the engine had been modified.
I know lots of people dislike the GLK, but I'm one of it's fans :eek: :D
DSCN6820.jpg

DSCN6819.jpg

DSCN6817.jpg

DSCN6818.jpg

Out on track was an SLS AMG:
DSCN6902.jpg

DSCN6877.jpg

Included in this Tuesday track day was an AMG Driving Academy.
Support Vehicles:
DSCN6811.jpg

DSCN6814.jpg

DSCN6813.jpg

DSCN6822.jpg

DSCN6816.jpg

DSCN6812.jpg

DSCN6815.jpg

Driving Academy Cars:
SLS AMG
DSCN6810.jpg

DSCN6853.jpg

Darren

Continued......

Then imagine my surprise and excitement to see not one, but TWO of the ALL NEW CLS63 AMG
DSCN6789.jpg

DSCN6790.jpg

DSCN6792.jpg

DSCN6791.jpg

DSCN6800.jpg

DSCN6796.jpg

DSCN6797.jpg

DSCN6798.jpg

DSCN6799.jpg

During my Wednesday track day, only one Mercedes was pounding round.
And it was this C32 AMG from Sweden. The only modification was some sticky track-day rubber! Note the yellowing brake calipers - this AMG has been driven properly
The owner told me that she stands up to the punishment of a track extremely well!
DSCN6964.jpg

DSCN6963.jpg

DSCN6967.jpg

DSCN6966.jpg

DSCN6965.jpg

And finally, a car which for me over shadows EVERYTHING previously mentioned on this page.
Found lurking in the back yard of a company who creates race cars, in amongst stripped out Clios and Porsches and even a Gumpert Apollo, shone a Mercedes-Benz 190E Evolution II.
All I initially saw was the ****-end of a 190E poking out from behind a building. I quickly noticed the huge rear spoiler. Not one to pass up the opportunity of getting up close with my first "in the metal" experience of such an iconic car, I spoke to the owner of the place who was kind enough to allow me through the building to view and photograph the car, however I never ask if it was to be converted to a track car.
It had just shy of 79,000kms on the clock, it was number 115 of 502. The seats were the stunning (and period) half leather and check cloth and she was in rather good condition. It appeared to even have the supplying dealer's tax disc holder!
And so on to the photos. Sadly there are no interior shots:
DSCN6779.jpg

DSCN6780.jpg

DSCN6771.jpg

DSCN6772.jpg

DSCN6781.jpg

DSCN6782.jpg

DSCN6773.jpg

DSCN6774.jpg

DSCN6778.jpg

DSCN6776.jpg

DSCN6777.jpg

DSCN6775.jpg

Darren

Makes me wish I was there again! I went four year ago Exactly! It was snowing when I went at Easter but was still an epic trip. Good work on the pics and the write up.

There was mention of an Oldtimer , but none shown ?

For those not aware , the Oldtimer Centre in Fellbach have defined an Oldtimer as ' any Mercedes-Benz model from 1971 or earlier ' .

The oldest model shown in the pictures was the G Wagen , which launched in 1979 , three years before the W201 which made it's debut in 1982 .

An absolute beauty whether classed as old or young timer. Back in the 90's when I was a student in Nottingham I used to share a house with a guy who's mate ran a truck racing team. Over time I got to know him as he'd pop over and the three of us would head out to various gigs in the area.

The man in question was a chap called Dave Atkins who at the time managed the BP Mercedes team with Steve Parrish at the wheel. From what I can remember Dave had a new Mercedes company car roughly every 3 months due to his extortionate mileage. However his personal car tucked away at home was an Evolution 2.

As a 19 year old student I had the pleasure of experiencing this truly stunning vehicle from the passenger seat, which for me was absolute heaven as I was the owner of a Triumph Spitfire at the time which just about ran.

The sound of the engine at full chat and the sublime handling were firmly etched in my grey matter for evermore and if truth be told I think this car is the reason that I own a Mercedes Benz today.

Truly stunning car. Prefer the looks of the Evo 1 though!

You could strain your boiled veg through the exhaust tip on that EVO! Great pics, thanks for posting:)

Was at the Ring on Saturday (on 2 wheels) and kept a lookout for interesting Mercs. Although the place was dominated by 911s and M3s there was the awesome sight of a CLK DTM being given a damn good thrashing. Fantastic sound! It spent two laps going head to head with a V8 Vantage. Petrolhead heaven!!

....the place was dominated by 911s and M3s.......the awesome sight of a CLK DTM being given a damn good thrashing. Fantastic sound! It spent two laps going head to head with a V8 Vantage. Petrolhead heaven!!

Yup, the track day was awash with 911s, most of them being 997 & 996 Turbo & Turbo S models, GT3, GT3 RS, GT2, even two 997 GT2 RS's!
There were simply no "run-of-the-mill" 911s :cool:
Also M3s of every generation, but most being E92s or E46 CSL models.

In the past, I've seen a black DTM doing the rounds - it sounded simply amazing! That growling V8 and high pitched supercharger whine is an aural pleasure to behold!

There were two track-spec V8 Vantages during my time at the 'Ring. A white one, and an orange car with the loudest exhaust I heard during the day I spotted it. It made me proud to be British :D

I guess you attended a Touristenfahrten? I've done a few TFs, and this was my first closed track day. I have to say it's certainly more favourable, can't recommend it enough!

Darren

I guess you attended a Touristenfahrten? I've done a few TFs, and this was my first closed track day. I have to say it's certainly more favourable, can't recommend it enough!

It was indeed a Touristenfahrten and you're right about the Porsches. I even spotted a Carrera SR - a wicked looking machine which I've never even heard of.
The CLK DTM I saw was also black so I'd imagine, given the rarity of the things, that we were watching the same one.

Taking the C32 over in August and I'm hoping I give a good showing in that. Despite my best efforts my poor old CB1300 was pretty much getting in the way.

I like the idea of a track day though. Easter weekend was absolutely manic!!

I even spotted a Carrera SR - a wicked looking machine which I've never even heard of.

Taking the C32 over in August.....

I like the idea of a track day though. Easter weekend was absolutely manic!!

There was a yellow Carrera RS (993 shape) with 996 wheels pounding round on my day. That was pretty cool to see as they're so rare.
Never heard of an "SR" myself either.

As you can see in the photos, a C32 is more than at home on that track ;)

I can imagine how busy that must have been - I attended one of the last major TFs last year and it was rammed! Also, there were so many accidents. Only managed 10 laps on a full day!
This time did 14 or 15, and with Open Pit lane there's simply no need rushed atmosphere like you get a TF.
I went with a company called Ringweekends.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom